CWU Apartment Guide 2020

If found in violation of the alcohol and other drug policy, students may be required to attend an alcohol or other drug education and risk prevention class for first-time violations. Second time violations may result in an educational conversation with a staff member in the Wellness Center to discuss your use of alcohol and other drugs. Third time violations may result in a potentially being referred for a chemical dependency assessment. Potential sanctions are not limited to this list and may include disciplinary probation, deferred suspension or suspension. Please refer to the Student Conduct Code (WAC 106-125) for a complete list of sanctions. ANIMALS Students are not allowed to have animals in the on-campus apartments or residence halls except for aquarium-bound fish. Tanks may be no larger than 10 gallons. Residents must maintain responsibility for the aquariums at all times. Animals not approved through this process will be considered “pets” and are not allowed in a university housing building (excluding aquarium-bound fish in tanks that may be no larger than 10 gallons.) Violators of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action, eviction and/or cleaning fees up to $500 associated with damages Other animals, such as companion, therapy, emotional support, comfort and “psychiatric service” animals that are not specially trained to perform a disability-related service may not be allowed in CWU residence halls and/or university-owned apartments. All animal emotional support requests will go through Disability Services and based on the recommendation from their office, the request will then be sent to Housing and Residence Life for further review. Qualified “service animals” (as defined by state and federal law) are allowed on the CWU campus and in Housing and Residence Life facilities. Determination of eligibility is made on a case-by-case basis by Disability Services/ADA compliance officer and Housing and Residence Life. The care of an approved animal is the student’s responsibility. Central Washington University complies with all federal and state fair housing laws and regulations which are applicable to university housing, including those related to assistive animals. The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) compliance guidelines define assistive animals as those that are verified by a qualified medical professional that the service animal accommodates the disabling condition and the rationale for the use of the service animal. Disability Services collects and reviews disability documentation from students who request accommodation in university housing. Housing and Residence Life makes the formal decision regarding assistance animals in university housing. Students are responsible for the care of the service animal at all times. Students who have an approved service animal or an emotional support animal, need to abide by WAC 106-124-801 and the Emotional Support Animal Care Plan provided by Disability Services and Housing and Because of ventilation, electrical, and noise problems, Housing and Residence Life does not allow certain appliances in the apartments. Specifically, washers and dryers are not allowed in the apartments. Other appliances are acceptable if they run on a 110 volt current. Should the power go out while running several appliances at the same time, check the circuit breaker box. If problems continue, please call Facilities Maintenance at 509-963-3000 for assistance. If potential problems exist with university appliances, wiring, or electrical systems, notify Housing and Residence Life. After business hours, notify the apartment manager. Additionally, it Residence Life. APPLIANCES

is recommended that surge protectors be used for stereos and/or computers. Avoid overloading outlets with too many cords, and do not use extension cords with frayed wiring or poor connections. Check the wiring and casing on appliances. BARBECUES/COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS Built-in barbecues are available at Student Village and Getz- Short apartments and are the ONLYACCEPTABLE means of outdoor cooking in these complexes. Barbecue grills are allowed in Brooklane Village as long as the resident is with the lit grill at all times. Propane barbecues are allowed but are not encouraged due to storage concerns. Barbecue grills and combustible materials such as propane, gasoline, kerosene, and items containing combustible materials (i.e. lanterns) are not permitted inside the apartment (including storage closets/units). BICYCLES WAC 106-116-901 is the guideline for on-campus bicycle safety, parking, and traffic regulations. Residents must follow specific regulations while operating bicycles on campus. For the safety of the residents, bicycles must never be parked/stored in stairwells, hallways, sidewalks, or any place that would create a safety hazard, hinder the exit from buildings or apartments, or interfere with pedestrian traffic. Bicycles parked on paths, sidewalks, stairwells, or catwalks, locked or chained to trees, street, or university signs may be impounded. Bicycle racks are provided in Getz-Short and Student Village. Eye-hooks can be installed on Brooklane Village front porches for bicycle locking purposes upon request to the apartment complex coordinator. Due to potential risk of bicycle theft, Housing and Residence Life recommends that bicycles be registered with Public Safety and Police Services. CARS/VEHICLES Driving on sidewalks, access malls, or lawns: Driving on sidewalks and lawns is strictly prohibited. No motor vehicles, including motorcycles or mopeds, will be permitted to park on the planted areas on university property. Advise moving van and delivery truck drivers not to drive their trucks on the sidewalks or lawns. If a van damages the lawns, the resident occupying the apartment will be charged. Violators are subject to a $20 fine and additional fees for damages. Residents may only drive on access malls with a mall permit which is available at Public Safety and Police Services or at a parking kiosk. Inoperable vehicles: Vehicles that are non-functioning may be impounded. If a resident has a vehicle in this condition that needs storage, he/she needs to contact Housing and Residence Life for assistance. Parking: Each licensed driver, who is a legal resident of the university-owned apartments and drives a vehicle, is required to complete a CWU vehicle registration form at the time of check- in. Limited parking areas within the apartment complexes, called Apartment Parking Zones (APZ), require permits. APZ permits are free of cost to leaseholders. Those residents who wish to park on all other campus parking lots must pay to obtain a permit from the Parking Office. Parking areas designated for disability permits are located within the apartment complexes. Should a resident require a disability parking permit, he/she needs to contact Disability Services. Parking spaces normally exists for one car per leaseholder; however, availability is not guaranteed . All vehicles parked on university grounds must be operable and have valid current license plates. “Operable” means the vehicle must have air in the tires and have all major components intact, including windows and windshield. Vehicles must not be used for storage purposes.


Made with FlippingBook Publishing Software