Microsoft Word - Guidebook for Veterans Incarcerated in Vir…

9 ( 7 ( 5 $ 1 6  5 (  ( 1 7 5 <  5 2 $ ' 0 $ 3

Combat Veterans The VA provides free healthcare for veterans who served in a theater of combat after November 11, 1998 for any illness possibly related to their service in that theater. You have five years from the date of your discharge from active duty on or after January 28, 2003 to apply. Compensated Work Therapy Programs and Veterans Industries The VA offers return to work services to assist veterans seeking competitive employment in the community. This may include Supported Employment, Community Based Employment Services, Vocational Assistance, or Transitional Work services. SE, CBES, and Voc. Assistance provide assistance searching for employment that may include applying to existing positions or helping employers create new, carved positions to perform a specific function. Transitional Work experiences offer structured work opportunities and may include supervised therapeutic housing for at-risk and homeless veterans with physical, mental health, and addiction problems. The VA contracts with private industry and the public sector for services from these veterans, who learn job skills, re-learn successful work habits, and regain a sense of self-esteem. Veterans receive a stipend for their participation and meet with a counselor for assistance finding employment in the community. Virginia currently has veterans industries programs located at the VA medical centers in Richmond, Salem, and Hampton. Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) The VA provides assistance to veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment. For veterans with serious service-connected disabilities, the VA also offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. There are five service delivery options available:

v Re-employment v Rapid access to employment v Self employment v Employment through long-term services v Independent living v Eligibility

v Active Duty Service members are eligible if they: P

Expect to receive an honorable or other than dishonorable discharge upon separation from active duty P Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Have received a discharge that is other than dishonorable P Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA P Apply for VR&E services

v Veterans are eligible if they: P

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online