Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“ Remain Active Without Pain! ” Your ability to walk is an amazingly complex system of muscles, nerves, and joints working in harmony. If you suffer from hip, knee, or leg pain, the normal movement of this complicated system has been affected in one way or another. WALK AGAIN WITHOUT PAIN
INSIDE: • Walk Again Without Pain • Do It Yourself Ice Packs • Patient Results • Exercise Essentials • Health & Wellness Tips • 6.5 Reasons Why Physical Therapy Is Beneficial
Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
“Handle Advanced Stretches After Seeking Treatment!” WALK AGAIN WITHOUT PAIN
Knee and Hip Pain Knee or hip pain can occur for many reasons, but is a mechanical problem, meaning that the joint and muscles supporting it are not functioning properly. Even though a person has arthritis in their joint, it doesn’t mean that they will have pain from it. Pain and inflammation only begin when the joint doesn’t move properly and pressures increase. Many knee problems come from poor tracking of the kneecap or patella. The kneecap has to move up and down in the groove on the femur bone when you bend your knee. It is also where your strong thigh muscles attach. The kneecap sits on fat pads that provide cushioning. However, when the tissue around the kneecap becomes tighter, the kneecap presses further into the fat pads, making them irritated and thicker over time. This affects the normal flow of joint fluid around the inside of the knee and actually dries out the knee over time causing more friction and pain.
A SIMPLE SOLUTION DO IT YOURSELF ICE PACKS
An easy way to relieve knee pain is to ensure normal kneecap motion is restored. Our experts evaluate the true cause of your knee pain, treat the movement problem and restore the normal strength around the knee. We have years of training to analyze the movement of your body and pinpoint the source of your problem. This allows for accurate treatment without the need for elaborate and expensive testing. Ultimately, your knee pain will be relieved quickly and your ability to walk, run and squat restored! We also work closely with your physician and can help you recover quickly if you have had surgery. Call us today to learn more about how physical therapy can help you live life pain free. 4 Different Methods 1. (3) parts Water to (1) part Rubbing Alcohol. This is recommended by physical therapists, it is cheap, it works perfectly, stays flexible, least mess if there is a leak, and really inexpensive. 2. Corn Syrup – Yup. Plain old corn syrup. This one is nice because it stays the most soft and flexible. But in the unlikely event it leaks, it is going to make a sticky mess. 3. Liquid Dish Soap – Ditto from above. Only this time it didn’t stay quite as flexible and the mess will be blue.
4. (2) parts Liquid Dish Soap to (1) part Rubbing Alcohol. This stays a little more flexible than plain liquid dish soap, but otherwise it is the same. To minimize the risk of leaking after repeated uses, make sure to double bag them in sturdy freezer bags with a double lock seal just to be sure. If you have a vacuum bag sealer, this is the perfect use for it.
Do you want a natural solution to your pain? Gain your freedom from pain medication and avoid costly surgery with physical therapy!
FREE HIP PAIN ANALYSIS We can help you feel better naturally with a
We can help you: Naturally relieve aches and pain. Increase your strength. Be more active with your friends and family.
• Cost Effective • Non-invasive • Safe & Natural • State-of-the-art facilities Features of Physical Therapy:
Have more energy. Feel better at work.
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 3-13-18.
• REQUEST A HEALTHY BODY • Hear what our patients have to say!
Thank you so much for helping me get better! “I just want to say thank you so much for helping me get better. With the physical therapy and corrective exercises, I can tell that my back feels great and I am free of pain. Also, I want to say thank you to all the people that helped me to get better and gave me such a great experience.” - S.J. Helped me eliminate the pain and stiffness in my knees! “I would like to thank the staff at ReQuest Physical Therapy for all their help. They created a program that helped me eliminate the pain and stiffness in my knees. They came highly recommended and I can now say they are the best.” - G.F. 6.5 Reasons Why Physical Therapy Is Beneficial 1. You are experiencing pain. Physical therapists understand the body. We understand that you’re in pain for a reason and there are two things we treat. We treat the pain so you feel better and we treat the mechanics so the pain doesn’t ever return. 2. You are an athlete. Whether you need to recover from or prevent a sports injury, physical therapists understand how different sports can increase your risk for specific injuries (such as stress fractures for distance runners). They can design appropriate recovery or prevention exercise programs for you to ensure a safe return to your sport. 3. You are afraid of falling. If you are at high risk for falls, therapists will provide exercises that safely and carefully challenge your balance as a way to mimic real-life situations. When the balance problem is caused by one’s vestibular system, physical therapists can perform specific maneuvers to restore proper vestibular function and reduce and eliminate symptoms of dizziness or vertigo. 4. Your work at a desk all day. Few things are as unhealthy as sitting at a desk all day, every day. A physical therapist can help repair damage that has already occurred to a person’s neck, spine and hips as well as teach tactics that will prevent any permanent damage from occurring. 5. You have experienced an injury. Depending upon the nature of the accident, a specific treatment plan will be designed to help the patient realize the best recovery possible. We gladly accept most insurances, providing a great LOW COST SOLUTION to restore your pain-free movement!
6. You are recovering from surgery. If you doctor has prescribed physical therapy it is because it will be a key part of your recuperation. • To promote healing is the most common reason doctors prescribe physical therapy after surgery; whether to minimize scar tissue or retrain you muscles a therapist ensures that your body heals properly from the operation. • Surgeries on the lower extremities require physical therapy to regain mobility (think your knees and hips). • Doing the necessary rehabilitation after surgery will help the body recover faster that if left to its own devices. 6.5 Our mission at ReQuest Physical Therapy is to get you back to doing the things you love to do.
Health & Wellness Tips TIPS FOR BETTER HEART HEALTH Do What’s Good For The Heart!
1. Aim for lucky number seven. Young and middle-age adults who slept 7 hours a night have less calcium in their arteries (an early sign of heart disease) than those who sleep 5 hours or less or those who sleep 9 hours or more. 2. Keep the pressure off. Get your blood pressure checked every 3-5 years if you’re 18-39. If you’re 40 or older, or if you have high blood pressure, check it every year. 3. Move more. To keep it simple, you can aim for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week of moderate exercise. Even if you exercise for 30 minutes a day, being sedentary for the other 23 1/2 hours is really bad for your heart. 4. Slash saturated fats. To help your heart’s arteries, cut down on saturated fats, which are mainly found in meat and full-fat dairy products. Choose leaner cuts and reduced-fat options. 5. Find out if you have diabetes. Millions of people don’t know that they have this condition. That’s risky because over time, high blood sugar damages arteries and makes heart disease more likely. 6. Think beyond the scale. Ask your doctor if your weight is OK. If you have some pounds to lose, you’ll probably want to change your eating habits and be more active. 7. Ditch the cigarettes, real and electronic. Smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for your heart. If you smoke, quit, and don’t spend time around others who smoke as well. E-cigarettes are popular, but they’re not completely problem-free. They don’t contain the harmful chemicals in cigarette smoke but, they still do contain nicotine, so your goal should be to quit completely, not just switch to a less toxic version. 6. Clean up. Your heart works best when it runs on clean fuel. That means lots of whole, plant-based foods (like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds) and fewer refined or processed foods (like white bread, pasta, crackers, and cookies).
Exercise Essentials Try this exercise to keep you moving...
About Us When you need physical therapy, you have the right to choose where you go. If you are tired of being a number and ready for a physical therapy team that’s proud to offer special services not found in any other practice in the Gainesville area, ReQuest Physical Therapy is your choice. We offer a variety of additional premier services to make your time at ReQuest as pleasant as possible, including discounts for cash/self-pay patients, flexible payment schedules, and same-day appointments. We also accept patients without a physician’s referral, so you can begin treatment quickly and without the hassle of extra paperwork.
HAMSTRING STRETCH While sitting, tighten your top thigh muscle to press the back of your knee downward towards the ground. Repeat 10 times on both legs.
Exercises copyright of
Loosens Tight Knees
HIP HIKES While standing up on a step, lower one leg downward towards the floor by tilting your pelvis to the side. Then return the pelvis/leg back to a leveled position. Repeat 10 times on both legs.
Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.
Why You Need To Come In For Another Check-Up:
Think ReQuest FIRST
� Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently & securely
� Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active & healthy lifestyle
Take Care Of Your Aches & Pains Before It’s Too Late!
Gainesville: (352) 373 2116 Tioga: (352) 692 2131Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs