Facilities Manager Candidate Information Pack
QMUL is a unique, world- class global University with a long, proud and distinctive history. As one of the UK’s leading research-focused higher education institutions, we have more than 28,000 students, 4,400 staff and an annual turnover of £512m.
• Message from the President and Principal
• About Queen Mary, University of London
• The role of Facilities Manager
• Job Description and Person Specification
• Further Information and How to Apply
Message from the President and Principal
Thank you for your interest in this role and in Queen Mary University of London. Working at Queen Mary means being part of a unique, world-class global University with a long, proud and distinctive history. Our founding institutions, the London Hospital Medical College, St Bartholomew’s Medical College, Westfield College and Queen Mary College, were founded to provide hope and opportunity for the less privileged and otherwise under-represented. Today, we remain true to the vision of our founders by continuing to improve lives locally, nationally and internationally through the seamless combination of our world-leading strengths in education and research. The Queen Mary community – our staff, students and alumni – is the heart and soul of our University. We are proud to provide an inclusive and nurturing environment so that staff and students from all backgrounds can develop, flourish and achieve their full potential.
I look forward to welcoming you to our unique University and working with you to realise our ambitions.
Professor Colin Bailey, President and Principal
Welcome to Queen Mary University of London
Queen Mary University of London teach and research across a wide range of subjects in the humanities and social sciences, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering.
Based in a creative and culturally diverse area of east London, the main site in Mile End is one of the largest self-contained residential campuses in the capital.
Our research excellence
Queen Mary has made a strategic commitment to the highest quality of research. The University has invested in this principle by systematically recruiting the best academics in their disciplines from around the world.
The results of the most recent national assessment of research – the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) – have confirmed its place in the very top group of research-led universities in the UK.
Overall it was ranked 9th in the UK among multi-faculty universities and 5th in the UK for the percentage of our 3* and 4* research outputs.
Russell Group institution
Queen Mary is one of 24 leading UK universities represented by the Russell Group, that are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience, excellent graduate employability and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.
High-quality learning experience
Queen Mary offers students a stimulating, supportive and high-quality learning experience, with teaching inspired by our world-leading research.
QMUL have invested in new facilities over the past five years to offer its students an exceptional learning environment. Recent developments include the £39m Graduate Centre, providing 7,700 square metres of learning and teaching space, and the new Dental Hospital, home to the Institute of Dentistry, the UK’s first new dental school in forty years. Future developments include the planned new school of Business and Management (8,500 square metres).
Estates & Facilities
The Estates and Facilities Directorate is core to the University’s strategic ambition to provide a world-class managed estate with excellent facilities for staff and students.
The mission of Estates & Facilities is to ensure that the campus buildings, environment, and facilities reach the highest standard of design, sustainability, and presentation. This is to reflect the ambition of Queen Mary, enhance the student experience and promote QMUL as a world class academic institution. The Estates and Facilities Directorate is core to the University’s strategic ambition to provide a world- class managed estate with excellent facilities for students and staff. As part of the QMUL’s ambitious Strategy 2030, extensive focus will be placed on enhancing, growing and better utilising the QMUL estate portfolio to create a physical environment that supports our position as an inclusive, world-class university.
Annual Report on Widening Participation and Outreach (WP&O) | 2013–14
About the role
As a member of the EAF management team, this senior role will involve working directly with senior managers delivering operational guidance, planning and decision support to the facilities management teams across the university estate. The post holder is accountable for the overall delivery of Facilities Management operations in line with the strategic plan. They will lead the delivery of a high standard, customer focussed Facilities Management service which includes: Residential and non-residential cleaning, waste management, portering, postal services, and grounds management. The Facilities Manager will support the Operations Manager of Estates and Facilities to continually develop effective, value for money services to Queen Mary University of London’s students, staff and visitors. Facilities Managers will ensure all statutory obligations with regards to FM services are met in full and to provide accurate management information and performance analysis of the services. To be accountable for all assigned Facilities Management services and staff and contracts ensuring they are effectively managed and that services are delivered and monitored to a high standard, aligned to the University’s business requirements and contribute to the development of the Directorate’s overall direction and vision.
Page heading to go here
University of Surrey
Duties and Responsibilities
Estates and Facilities / Operations
Professional Grade 6, £47,325 - £52,833 per annum
All Queen Mary Universitu of London sites
As a member of the EAF management team, this senior role will involve working directly with senior managers delivering operational guidance, planning and decision support to the facilities management teams across the university estate. This post operates across all University campuses. The post holder will work with colleagues within the University and liaise with internal and external specialists, and other employee representatives to effectively manage all facilities management services.
The post holder is accountable for the overall delivery of Facilities Management operations in line with the strategic plan. They will lead the delivery of a high standard, customer focussed Facilities Management service which includes: Residential and non-residential cleaning, waste management, portering, postal services, and grounds management. Facilities Managers will support the Operations Manager of Estates and Facilities to continually develop effective, value for money services to Queen Mary University of London’s students, staff and visitors. Facilities Managers will ensure all statutory obligations with regards to FM services are met in full and to provide accurate management information and performance analysis of the services. The post holders will be required to work between residential and non-residential buildings at any time to meet service needs on a temporary or permanent basis. The post holders may also be required to work between campuses at limited notice.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
• To be accountable for all assigned Facilities Management services and staff and contracts ensuring they are effectively managed and that services are delivered and monitored to a high standard, aligned to the University’s business requirements and contribute to the development of the Directorate’s overall direction and vision. • To lead and empower all Facilities Management staff in the delivery of consistently high levels of customer service to students, staff and visitors. • To engage with stakeholders to strategically develop Facilities Services and Service Level Descriptions setting the measurement of these services and communicating performance to stakeholders to enable the achievement of short, medium and long term service development. • To lead in the management of resources in order to implement strategic objectives across the Directorate and University to effectively support change management initiatives. • To strategically plan and manage logistics from goods receipt on campus to point of use, including the development of a logistics centre. • To identify, act on and effectively manage business risk through the development and implementation of policy and procedure standards for all Facilities Management services. • To oversee the effective management of staff in line with the Directorate and University policies and procedures, promoting wellbeing and continuous development of all Facilities Management staff through management and role modelling for your direct reports particularly • To lead on the management of Health and Safety across all Facilities Management services and staff, being accountable to ensure that all statutory and University requirements are complied with. • To manage and facilitate the reuse of resources and the segregation of recyclables with a view to reducing waste costs and where possible realising the financial value of waste streams. • To develop a suitable process for the effective management of all waste streams for the college that is fully compliant with statutory legislation but is developed using best practice. • To collate information, maintain data records and provide information as required by the Operations Managers and other internal and external parties (i.e. HESA/EMR returns). • To be accountable for Facilities Management financial budgets under your control including supporting the Operations Manager Estates and Facilities with the annual budget planning, forecasting and spend management, ensuring all financial policies are strictly adhered to. • To lead on the procurement and strategic review of Facilities Management supplier contracts and services, ensuring a balance of quality and value for money is achieved. • Any other duties that may be reasonably required commensurate with the grade of this position as directed by the Operations Manager of Estates & Facilities (Facilities Management). • The Facilities Manager will normally be required to work Monday to Friday however during busy academic events and peak residential activities you will be required to demonstrate flexibility to work to revised schedules, including the requirement to work on a rotational basis during Bank Holidays and college closure days as determined by operational requirements. • The Directorate is engaged in a culture and behaviour change programme in its drive to achieve recognised standards to significantly improve service to its customers. As part of this drive, the post holder is expected to implement recognised good practice methods in helping their respective teams communicate and function more effectively in delivering a cost effective and efficient service. • The post holder is required to support sustainability programmes and initiatives to minimise the social, environmental and economic impacts of Queen Mary. Where the role can influence energy consumption, waste diversion, water use etc., the post holder will ensure that sustainability impacts are addressed (e.g. in the procurement of goods and services, projects, maintenance programmes etc.).
Annual Report on Widening Participation and Outreach (WP&O) | 2013–14 Duties and Responsibilities
This table lists the essential and desirable requirements needed in order to perform the job effectively. Candidates will be shortlisted based on the extent to which they meet these requirements.
Essential / Desirable
Qualifications Professional qualification in Facilities Management or equivalent relevant experience.
Relevant chartered professional qualification or equivalent e.g. IWFM.
Health and Safety qualification or demonstrable experience.
Experience of strategic and operational management for a large facilities services operation, to include change management. Experience in financial planning, procurement and budget delivery. Experience in analysing complex situations to produce innovative solutions. Significant experience working as a part of a customer-focused team and team working. Substantial experience in customer service and stakeholder management Experience in the use of financial & facilities management (CAFM) software applications. Self-aware, able to exercise and demonstrate sound judgement, not only in making decisions but when to seek advice and involve others. Experience of service review and development within a Facilities Management environment. Able to build relationships and influence colleagues and stakeholders at all levels within the organisation.
E E E
Customer focused and driven to provide excellent service
Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to develop excellent working relationships both internal and externally. Good computer skills including the use and development of spread sheets, CAFM systems and financial applications.
Proven ability to manage and motivate teams.
E E E E
Proven ability to transfer skills and knowledge effectively to colleagues. Ability to plan, progress and prioritise work activities of self and others.
*The ability to meet UK ‘right to work’ requirements.
Essential/Desirable: E = Essential: Requirements without which the job could not be done. D = Desirable: Requirements that would enable the candidate to perform the job well.
Page heading to go here
University of Surrey
Further Information and How to Apply A wide range of benefits are available, this includes 30 days annual leave (plus University closure days and public holidays), a defined benefit pension scheme and also an interest-free season ticket loan. For further details of the benefits of working at QMUL please visit http://www.hr.qmul.ac.uk/workqm/index.html Applications should consist of a CV and covering statement outlining key matching experience and rationale for applying for the post. Applications should be sent to; email@example.com.
For a confidential and informal discussion, please contact the University’s appointed recruitment partner Michael Hewlett at The Management Recruitment Group.
Michael Hewlett 020 3962 9900 | 07972 579 938 firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is Sunday 15th August 2021.
51 Eastcheap, Billingsgate, London EC3M 1JP
www.mrgpeople.co.ukPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook. PDF to flipbook with ease