Scheurer Magazine // 2026

CONTINUED FROM PAGE 07

LEFT: The campaign materials for the first major expansion and fundraising, completed in 1963. MIDDLE: Some of the program from Father’s Day 1963 for the dedication of the completed project. RIGHT: A hospital bill for Leonard “Pic” DeFrain from 1952, part of his collection of hospital history. Each lot contained a frame-built house which were later connected with an addition. This would serve as the original hospital in Harbor Beach from 1920, owned and operated by the Huron Milling Company of Harbor Beach. A year later, a “fireproof building” was built next door, containing four private rooms, To understand the origins of what was originally known as “Harbor Beach Hospital,” one must first learn about the Huron Milling Company. Located “down the hill” in Harbor Beach, next to the waterfront and what was known locally as simply, “the plant,” it was the largest employer in the county, specializing in a variety of grain products. At one point, it was the nation’s leading producer of corn starch. Captain Gilmore Scranton, general manager of Huron Milling was concerned about the lack of sucient medical services locally, spurring the purchase of two lots on the corner of Broad and First Streets in downtown Harbor Beach. Like any strong organization, Harbor Beach’s story is bountiful and could fill the largest hardcover book ten times over. We will try our best to cover some of the highlights over the next few pages, with deeper dives happening in the future. Much of the following story was made possible by the meticulous archiving completed by Leonard “Pic” DeFrain of Harbor Beach. As the self-appointed local historian, Pic took it upon himself to ensure the story of the community’s past could be carried forward for future generations.

four multi-bed wards, laboratory and an operating room. Dr. Van Nuys was the first administrator of the hospital, but stayed less than a year. Margaret Meigs was the first superintendent, the equivalent of a modern day director of nursing, who was followed by Jane Lang and Ruth Winterhalter. In December of 1956, the Huron Milling Company was purchased by Hercules Powder Company, who had no interest in operating a hospital. That resulted in a deal for Hercules

8

SCHEURER MAGAZ INE

Made with FlippingBook Learn more on our blog