Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
Getting To Know The BioSport PT Staff! RAMIRO MORA, PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNICIAN
Ramiro is currently finishing his last semester at California State University Stanislaus where he will be receiving his Bachelors in Kinesiology, with a concentration in Exercise Science, and a minor in Psychology. In addition, he is completing his prerequisites for Physical Therapy school to later become a Physical Therapist. Ramiro has been with Biosport since February of 2018 and focuses on patient care, exercises, and patient modalities. One
of his personal achievements is helping train middle-aged and senior citizens using cardio and resistance based exercise programs in a community based program through 3 Wins Fitness at CSU Stanislaus. When Ramiro is not studying or working, you can find him enjoying a game of basketball, hiking, and working out.
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
RELIEVING NECK PAIN “Look Up To Pain Relief!”
• Are You Hurting Your Neck While You Sleep? • Healthy Recipe • Relieve Neck Pain In Minutes • Patient Success Spotlight
Neck pain can be a constant ache or sharp pain with movement, stopping you from enjoying life’s activities. Neck pain is very common affecting approximately 2/3 rds of the population at one point or another. People with neck pain suffer mainly from one of the following conditions: Degenerative Disc Disease Thediscsarethefluid-filledsacsbetweenthebonesofyourneck.Thenormal aging process shrinks the discs and dries them out. Repeated stress and strain also weakens the tissues that make up a disc. When this happens, the disc loses its ability to absorb shock. In turn, this causes rubbing and changes in the shape of the joints in your neck, which can be painful. Muscle Strain When there is an injury to the neck or you overuse the shoulder and neck muscles, a strain can occur. When this happens, the neck muscles may go into spasm to help support and protect the sore area. Mechanical Neck Pain Mechanical pain usually starts from changes in the neck joints. As discs start to collapse, the space between the neck bones narrow, and the joints
may become inflamed. The pain is usually chronic and is typically felt in the middle part of the neck. However, it may spread from the neck into the upper back or to the outside of the shoulder in some cases. Radiculopathy Pressure or irritation on or around the nerves of the neck can affect the nerves’ electrical signals.Thepressureor irritation can be felt as numbness on the skin, weakness in the muscles or pain along the path of the nerve. Weakness in thespinemusclescancauseabnormalpressureon thenerves and increased chance of radiculopathy. If you are suffering from neck pain, our SPINE Program is ideal to quickly relieve your pain and prevent it from returning. From long-term neck pain, to recovering from a complicated surgery, we can relieve your pain quickly, returning your natural mobility and strength. Our treatments are designed to help ease pain and to improve flexibility, strength, posture and function. We even teach you how to protect your neck in the years ahead. Look inside to learn more about our SPINE Program and say goodbye to that aching neck!
ARE YOU HURTING YOUR NECKWHILE YOU SLEEP?
We spend one-third of our lives sleeping. Therefore, how you sleep and the bed you sleep on can have a dramatic effect on the support of your body. When you sleep you need to be aware of how your neck and spine are supported. There are many different types of beds on the market today which can be very confusing for consumers.The best type of bed is the one thatyou tryoutand feelmostcomfortableusing.Typically,abed that isfirm underneath, with a softer top helps to provide support as well as contour to your body. If your mattress is old, then think about investing in a new one so that your neck and spine are supported well. The best positions to sleep in for your spine are on your back or sides. Avoid sleeping on your stomach since your spine ends up twisted, especially your neck.Over thehoursofrepetitivesleepingonyourstomach,youcandamage the joints of your spine and compress the nerves exiting your spine. Use a pillow to help support your body and take the weight of your legs off your spine. If you like to sleep on your back, place a pillow under the backs of your thighs and knees. This should place your knees in a slight, supported bend which takes pressure off your lower back. If you sleep on your side, be sure to put a pillow between your knees. This helps keep the alignment of your spine, and takes the pressure of your upper leg off the spine. Have 1-2 pillows under your head to keep your neck in proper alignment. If you need 2 pillows stagger them so that one pillow overlaps the other by one half. The lower half goes under the shoulders, while the upper half supports the neck. Ourphysical therapistsatBioSportPhysicalTherapycanshowyouexercises, stretches and techniques to relieve your pain and prevent it from returning.
If you are suffering with neck or back pain, call us today to learn more about how we can relieve your pain, returning you to a more active, pain-free life!
Relieve Neck Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing neck pain.
Honey Garlic Shrimp
• 1/3 cup honey • 1/4 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium) • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic • optional: 1 teaspoon minced ginger • 1 lb medium uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined • 2 teaspoons olive oil
LEVATOR SCAPULAE STRETCH
Grasp your arm on the affected side and tilt your head downward into the armpit. Use your opposite hand to guide your head further into the stretch.
1. Whisk the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger (if using) together in a medium bowl. 2. Place shrimp in a large zipped-top bag or Tupperware. Pour 1/2 of the marinade mixture on top, give it all a shake or stir, then allow shrimp to marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or for up to 8-12 hours. Cover and refrigerate the rest of the marinade for step 3. (Time-saving tip: while the shrimp is marinating, I steamed broccoli and microwaved some quick brown rice). 3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place shrimp in the skillet. Discard used marinade. Cook shrimp on one side until pink—about 45 seconds—then flip shrimp over. Pour in remaining marinade and cook it all until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 minute more. 4. Serve!
CALL TODAY: (209)524-7488
ATTENTION PAIN SUFFERERS Get Easy Relief For Your Pain With A Simple Click...
Do you or someone you know have back or neck pain? As a current or past patient you have access to this valuable information, at your fingertips. Start feeling better today in the privacy of your home. Go to our homepage at www. biosportphysicaltherapy.com and scroll down to the middle of the page for your free download. This is the easiest way to get this information to our patients. Download and share with friends and family today!
Patient Success Spotlight
Thank you for taking your time to get to know me, for answering all of my questions, and working with me individually. “I don’t normally leave reviews, but I feel it is important to share how great BioSport is. Other reviews are true when they say the staff became their friends instead of just their therapists. I honestly look forward to my sessions, and I always know I’m going to have a good laugh while I’m there. Iamveryactive inmyhealingprocess,andeveryone,especiallyAlex and Leo, are very helpful in teaching me how to maintain my progress. I was born with weak ankles, and coupled with poor shoes, have led to falling arches and tendon dysfunction. This in return causes pain when I run or exercise. This pain hinders my career goals. However, thanks to the knowledge, patience, kindness, and friendship of the entire BioSport team, I have a FAR better understanding of my situation and how I can work to counteract the damage done in my foot and ankle. I’ve been working with the BioSport team for over six weeks now, and I still have another six to go. Within my first six weeks, BioSport got my ankles to normal strength! My calves and ankles have never felt so strong. There is still more progress to be done, but I trust that the BioSport team will have no problem getting me to where I need to be. They’re innovative, knowledgeable, and they really do apply the “one on one approach.” If you are looking for a place that will make you comfortable and provide great treatment, then BioSport is the place for you! My journey to healing has only just begun, but because of the incredible help BioSport has given me, I know healing is in my future. BioSport hasn’t just taught me about my healing process, but they have restored my hope that my career goals are possible. I mean this from the bottom of my heart, Alex, Leo, and the entire staff, thank you. Thank you for taking your time to get to know me, for answering all of my questions, and working with me individually. Alex, you are hilarious and awesome for going on runs with me in your fancy clothes. Leo, you are also hilarious and you are extremely helpful in explaining everything to me. And to everyone else, I have enjoyed every minute I have spent in your facility! I truly am going to miss you all when my treatment is over.” – Denise M.
DOWNLOAD INSTANTLY ON OUR HOMEPAGE: www.biosportphysicaltherapy.com
Check out this great photo of the BioSport Physical Therapy team blowing off steam after a long week at work. Practice owner Leo Chavez says, “A team that eats together, stays together!”
ATTENTION PAIN SUFFERERS! WE ARE OFFERING FREE ROTATOR CUFF SCREENINGS!
• Do you have difficulty reaching behind your back?
• Is your shoulder pain keeping you up at night?
• Are simple tasks, like combing your hair, just too painful?
• Does weakness in your arm prevent you from doing the activities you enjoy? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is time to call BioSport Physical Therapy to schedule your FREE Rotator Cuff Screening today. Get back to living the life you deserve. Call today!
Free Rotator Cuff Screening (209) 524-7488 CALL TO SCHEDULE TODAY!
*Free screen is for past patients, family, and friends
1933 Coffee RD Modesto www.biosportphysicaltherapy.com
Only 25 Spots Available
STOP HIDING FROM THE OUTDOORS! 5 NATURAL WAYS TO BEAT ALLERGIES
1. Spend your time outdoors wisely. Jog in the evening instead of the morning when pollen counts are higher. Before heading outdoors, check your local pollen counts online, and on days when pollen counts are high, head to the gym instead. 2. Get natural relief. Some herbal remedies may help stave off allergy symptoms. More research is needed, but an extract from a shrub called butterbur shows promise. Biminne, a Chinese herbal formula with ingredients like ginkgo biloba and Chinese skullcap, may also help. One study found that people who took biminne five times a day for 12 weeks still felt the benefits a year later. 3. Keep pollen out of your home. Simple changes make a difference. Shut all windows to keep out pollen. Use an air conditioner to cool your home instead of a fan, which draws in air from outside. Take off your shoes at the door and ask guests to do the same to keep allergens outside. Also, bathe pets that go outside more frequently during allergy season.
4. Wear a mask for outdoor chores. Wearing a pollen mask while doing yard work or tending your garden can minimize your exposure to pollen particles. 5. Try a salt water rinse. A saline nasal rinse can help clear allergens from your nasal membranes and gargling with salt water can reduce throat irritation.
www.biosportphysicaltherapy.comPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker