Cerebrum Fall 2020



BRAIN ON THE WEB A few brain-related articles we recommend: > CNN Health: Americans over 30 have been drinking more during the coronavirus pandemic, research shows

$3 million was awarded by the Breakthrough Prize Foundation earlier this year to Virginia M.Y. Lee, Ph.D., at Pennsylvania State University, for discovering protein aggregates in frontotemporal dementia and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 02.20.2020 was the date for the first shipping of Buzz , a wearable wristband that allows people to sense sound through their skin. The technology was conceived in neuroscientist David Eagleman’s lab at Stanford University and is sold through his company, Neosensory. 23% of preschool children ages two to five with family dogs were less likely to have social interaction problems than children whose households do not have a dog. The “mere presence of a family dog was associated with many positive behaviors and emotions,” said one of the researchers. 25 of October 2020 is the deadline for submissions to an annual visual storyteller photography competition that documents Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Sponsored by the Bob and Diane Fund , the competition awards a $5,000 grant in mid-November during National Caregivers Month. 55% of coronavirus patients still have neurological problems three months later, according to a study published in Lancet . 80% of kids who stutter grow up to have normal speech patterns, while the other 20 percent continue to stutter into adulthood. 1,000 is the number of older adults in their 70s and 80s recruited for the Aging and Cognitive Health Evaluation in Elders ( ACHIEVE ) trial. 8,557 is the number of subscribers to the Neuroscience for Kids newsletter, which has been published by neuroscientist Eric Chudler, Ph.D. and colleagues at the University of Washington since 1997.

> Washington Post: Creators call digital game pre- scription for ADHD the future of medicine. Critics call it a marketing ploy. > CNN: Scientists find intact brain cells in skull of man killed in Vesuvius eruption nearly 2,000 years ago > New Scientist: Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives > The Guardian: Researchers find a western-style diet can impair brain function > Brain Facts/SfN: How Microdosing Psychedelic Drugs Affects Mental Health > New York Times: The Brain Implants That Could Change Humanity > Smithsonian Magazine: What Neuroscientists Are Discovering About Stuttering > New York Times: How the Coronavirus Attacks the Brain > AARP’s The Daily: 3 Reasons the Pandemic Is Ruining Your Sleep—And What to Do About It Reading is fundamental [Print reading] is kind of like meditation—focusing our attention on something still. And it’s a whole different kind of immersion than responding to [digital] stimuli. I think it’s healthy for us as human beings to sit down with something that doesn’t move, ping, or call on our attention.” — Anne Mangen , a literacy professor at the University of Stavanger in Norway “

Dana.org 5

Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker