GEOGRAPHY SINGLETON CAMPUS
50 IN THE UK (Complete University Guide 2023) GEOGRAPHY
• Earth Observation MSc by Research FT PT • Environmental Dynamics MSc by Research FT PT • Glaciology MSc by Research FT PT • G lobal Environmental Modelling MSc by Research FT PT • Global Migration MSc by Research FT PT
• Human Geography PhD/MPhil FT PT • Media Geographies MSc by Research FT PT • Physical Geography PhD/MPhil FT • Social Theory and Space MSc by Research FT PT • Urban Studies MSc by Research FT PT
WHY SWANSEA? • Two of our MSc programmes are among the first postgraduate qualifications to be awarded accreditation by the Royal Geographical Society. • The Research Environment and Impact of Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences at Swansea achieved 100% ‘world-leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ ratings (REF 2021). • Our exceptional computing facilities support your studies from start to finish, including fifteen dual-processor workstations for Earth Observation, a 20-node multiprocessor Beowulf cluster, and the Department’s IBM ‘Blue Ice’ supercomputer, which is mainly used for climate and glaciological modelling. • Your learning will be shaped by inspirational and internationally- renowned academics including Professor Tavi Murray, the first woman to be awarded a Polar Medal for outstanding service to polar research; and Professor Adrian Luckman, who earned global media coverage for climate • You will also be taught by Professor Peter North, who has collaborated with NASA on the ‘greening-up’ of the Amazon; and Professor Siwan Davies, whose work focuses on establishing why climate change has changed abruptly over the past 100,000 years through the emergency research into the Larsen C ice shelf collapse.
• Environmental Dynamics and Climate Change MSc FT PT • Geographic Information and Climate Change MSc FT PT
• Society, Environment and Global Change MSc FT PT
Geography at Swansea covers all aspects of human and physical geography. We are recognised as one of the leading global centres for teaching and research in this field. Our internationally active research staff and large community of postgraduate researchers create a dynamic and inspirational environment in which to study. Many projects carried out here actively contribute towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, particularly Climate Action, Sustainable Cities and Communities and Clean Water and Sanitation. WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT • Your learning benefits from the combined
• You will acquire a deep knowledge of the current scientific issues underpinning geographic data, climate change and environmental dynamics. • Our current research interests include glaciology, migration, social theory and urban space and environmental dynamics. • Some of our recent activity has included the tracking of the Larsen C ice shelf, identifying infected olive trees by remote imaging, and monitoring water quality after wildfires in Sydney.
Geography and Biosciences research expertise of our staff around geographic information, environmental and climate dynamics, marine and ecosystem biology, and sustainable development.
Programme overview: MSc Society, Environment and Global Change
investigation of volcanic ash deposits trapped in ice sheets.
FUNDING There are a range of postgraduate scholarships and bursaries available: swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/ scholarships
Welsh scholarships available see page 44
Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter maker