80 YEARS OF AVIATION HERITAGE
On 16 July 1938, “Luton Municipal Airport” was opened by the then Secretary of State for Air, the Right Honourable Kingsley Wood MP. During the Second World War it was used by the Royal Air Force and for a short time was the base for 264 Fighter Squadron. It was the birthplace of affordable air travel from the 1950s onwards, and was renamed London Luton Airport in 1990. Today, it is the fifth largest airport in the UK and one of the fastest growing in Europe, employing over 9,400 people and carrying over 15 million passengers annually to more than 140 destinations in Europe, Africa and Asia.
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker