Performing Arts BTEC National Extended Certificate in Performing Arts
Subject BTEC National Extended Certificate in Performing Arts (Single) Exam Board Edexcel Specification Numbers 601/7233/2
Introduction The BTEC Extended Certificate is a practical, intense course for students who enjoy performing. Students work as a theatre company on a wide range of performances and assignments, as well as learning about key theatre practitioners and playwrights to develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge in performance. The Extended Certificate is the equivalent of one A-Level and is worth UCAS points in exactly the same way as traditional A-Levels. The course is suitable both for students who want to go on to study drama, or those who are looking for a practical subject to balance more academic studies.
Aims of the Course
The course is very rewarding, but hard work! Along with classwork, students are expected to put in additional time for rehearsals and performances outside of school hours. In order for lessons to be almost entirely practical, written work needs to be completed in study periods and at home, including keeping an online blog of daily work and portfolios of evidence. We expect Performing Arts students to complete at least 6 hours of independent work outside of lesson time, in addition to watching and taking part in performances. Preparation work is set over the Summer holiday. The 2-year course is continually assessed which means there are no final exams as such, however there are both practical and written tasks which are set and marked by the exam board throughout the year. 60% of the course is externally assessed via online submissions of written tasks and visiting examiners, with the remaining 40% marked by tutors and moderated by the exam board. Around 90% of classwork is practical, but this does mean that students are expected to complete written assignments in their own study time. Written work includes keeping a detailed rehearsal diary, research, preparation for presentations, and reading scripts. BTEC Level 3 qualifications are valued by employers and Higher Education (Universities and Colleges) and gain UCAS points in the same way as A-Levels. The vast majority of our students go on to university or drama school to study Performing Arts, Drama, Theatre Studies or a related subject. We also have an excellent track record with students gaining places at drama schools and dance colleges. The course equips students with confidence and excellent interpersonal skills to succeed in interviews and leads to a wide variety of careers, including work in the theatre, advertising, project management, PR, venue management, teaching, and journalism.
How You Are Assessed
Links to Future Careers
Entry Requirement Grade 4 in Drama or a related subject, or a Merit in a Level 2 BTEC in Performing Arts
Made with FlippingBook Publishing Software