Surrey Registration Service Bereavement Guide

Checklist Below is a checklist of useful organisations that you may need to contact. You must close accounts, cancel or change insurance details, subscriptions, agreements, payments or direct debits. It is useful to have reference numbers, date of birth/death and address information about the deceased when you contact any company or association. If you have used the ‘Tell Us Once’ Service, some of the following will already have been done for you and you will not need to contact them again. What to do first • Notify the family doctor • Find the Will – the deceased person’s solicitor may have a copy • Begin funeral arrangements – remember to check the Will for any special requests If there is a will • Contact the executor (usually nominated in the Will to sort out the deceased’s estate) – to enable them to start the process of obtaining probate If there is no will • Decide who will apply to sort out the deceased’s estate • Contact the Probate Registry to apply for ‘letters of administration’

Who else to contact • Employer • School • Solicitor/accountant • HM Passport Office – to cancel passport

• DVLA – to cancel driving licence and to return car registration documents if a change of ownership becomes necessary Government and Local Council departments • State Pension • Universal Credit • Council or Social Housing • Housing Benefit • Council Tax • Council Tax Benefit • Attendance Allowance • Carer’s Allowance • Blue Badge Parking Permit • Personal Independent Payment • HM Land Registry • Child Benefit • Library Services • Electoral Services • Adult Social Care (for example, if a specific care package was in place) • Children’s Social Care • Owed Payments To Council (eg. assisted bin collection, allotment fees, music tuition etc) • Bereavement Benefit


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online