Surrey Registration Service Bereavement Guide

Financial Organisations • General insurance companies – contents, car, travel, medical etc • If the deceased was first named on an insurance policy, make contact as early as possible to check that the insurance will continue • HM Revenues and Customs – personal taxation, national insurance etc • Rental, hire purchase or loan agreements • Personal Pension provider • Occupational Pension provider • Life insurance companies • Banks and building societies, post office savings • Premium Bonds, Stocks and Shares companies • Mortgage provider • Credit card providers/store cards Utilities and household contacts • Landlord or local authority if the deceased rented a property • Any private organisation/agency providing home care • Utility companies • Royal Mail, if post needs re-directing • TV / Internet / Satellite / Cable companies Other considerations • Bereavement Register and Deceased Preference Service • Cancel memberships of clubs, trade unions, associations with seasonal membership • Cancel any local services, such as meals on wheels or transport • Return any travel passes / season tickets and claim any refund due • Return any Surrey free bus pass to Surrey County Council • Church / regular place of worship • Social groups to which the deceased belonged • Dentist and any other medical providers the deceased used eg. local hospital, chiropodist • Return any equipment the deceased may have borrowed from a hospital, clinic or social care services • Return any library books to the local library • Creditors – anyone to whom the deceased owed money • Debtors – anyone who owed the deceased money Benefits and financial help You may be able to claim certain benefits and one-off payments if you lived with or were dependent on the deceased. Time limits apply, so contact your nearest Jobcentre Plus office as soon as possible to find out. • Contact Jobcentre Plus • Check your current benefits and tax credits

Making a new Will • Surviving relatives and friends of the deceased may need to make a new Will. It’s important to ask a solicitor about this.

Bereavement – counselling and support

• If you or someone you know needs counselling or support, ask your family doctor or contact an organisation such as Cruse Bereavement Care.



Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online