Surrey Registration Service Bereavement Guide

Letting Organisations Know When you manage the affairs of someone who has died, you will need to correspond with a lot of organisations. People have different circumstances and the organisations you need to contact will vary. We have listed some of the main organisations you may need to contact. But please remember, if you have used the Tell Us Once service you will have already notified some of the following departments – in these cases, you do not need to contact them again yourself. It is very useful to have information about the person that has died available when contacting any company or association. This will make the task of completing any forms or documents much easier. Details of the deceased that will be most useful to know include: • Date and place of birth • Date and place of death • Spouse / Civil Partner’s full name, date of birth and occupation • Date of marriage or civil partnership (if appropriate) • National Insurance Number • NHS Number

• Contact the deceased’s personal pension provider, if a policy was in place. • Contact a Jobcentre Plus or Social Security Office if benefit was in payment, for example, Universal Credit, Child Benefit, Attendance Allowance. (Please telephone 0800 169 0310 for advice, or visit • Contact Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs, if tax credits were in payment (Working Tax or Child Tax Credits). You can telephone 0345 300 3900 or visit

• Child Benefit Number (if appropriate) • Tax Reference Number (if appropriate) Pensions / Benefits / Tax Credits

• Contact the Department of Work and Pensions to ensure any state pension payments are stopped. You can telephone them on 0800 731 0469 or visit • Contact the deceased’s employer or current occupational pension provider as they will advise if the deceased’s occupational pension can be passed to another family member or surviving civil partner.



Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online