Got a Lawyer on That Back-to- School List?
The kids are going back to school soon, and it may feel too soon, even rushed. Back-to-school season is a perfect excuse to slow down and take care of business, though. Once you get this stuff taken care of, you might feel a little better about summer ending and the kids heading off to new adventures.
stuff” that comes with turning 18. You might be thinking of setting up accounts for them to pay into retirement or savings, and that’s a good idea, but don’t forget to help them get an estate plan and a will in order, too. They may still be dependents who are on your health care plan, but when a person turns 18, they’re no longer a child, and having the legal documents in order is a part of that transition. Other legal considerations for kids on their way to college are medical care documents, such as do-not-resuscitate (DNR) orders and other health care directives. It’s a hard, sometimes scary talk to have, but that’s part of being an adult, and your child will likely appreciate being treated as such. For younger children, nothing is more important than figuring out guardianship in case you end up incapacitated or otherwise unable to continue being their guardian. For teenaged minors, make sure they’re included in these decisions. Would they prefer to live with an aunt or uncle, their grandparents, or maybe even an older sibling? Finally, make sure that the potential guardian is okay with the arrangement and understands their potential responsibilities. Send the kids back to school the right way, which is to say with the security in knowing their futures are planned for. It’s a great example to set as well as a massive weight off everybody’s shoulders. How often do you get to do that? Your attorney will know more and help you out with any questions you may have.
The first thing to consider is going to be helping any new adults in your household get on top of the “adult
Take a Break
Easy Foil-Grilled Sausage and Vegetables
Inspired by NutmegNanny.com
Dinner is ready in 30 minutes with this easy, seasonal August sausage and vegetable bake.
• 4 sausage links of your choice • 1 lb green beans • 1 red bell pepper, diced • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced • 1 red onion, diced • 1 zucchini, diced • 1 yellow summer squash, diced • 3 tbsp olive oil • 2 cloves garlic, grated
1. Preheat your grill to medium heat or your oven to 425 F. 2. In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well. Divide into four equal portions. 3. Prepare four 16-inch pieces of foil and place a portion in the middle of each section. Wrap each foil piece tightly and avoid holes.
• 1 tbsp thyme • 1 tsp oregano
4. Grill each foil packet for 20
minutes, flipping halfway through. You can also bake each packet for 20 minutes at 425 F.
• 1 tsp basil • 1 tsp salt • 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
740-452-8484 • 3
Made with FlippingBook. PDF to flipbook with ease