Fathers Who Put Their Lives on the Line for Their Kids 3 Awesome Dads
GREG ALEXANDER BATTLED A BEAR FOR HIS SON’S LIFE. While camping in the backcountry of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Greg Alexander was startled awake at dawn by the screams of his 16-year- old son, Gabriel. He rushed out of his hammock to see a black bear dragging his son away by the head. Without hesitation, he kicked the beast in the side, and when that didn’t work, he leapt onto its back and started punching it in the face. When the bear finally released Gabriel, Greg threw rocks until it fled. His son was hurt, but made a full recovery in the hospital over the coming weeks. ARTUR MAGOMEDOV SAVED HIS DAUGHTERS FROM ISIS. Artur Magomedov was devastated to discover that his wife had taken his 3- and 10-year-old daughters from their home in Dagestan under the cover of night, flown to Turkey, and crossed into Syria to join ISIS. But he resolved to get his kids back. After a long, hazardous journey, he arrived in Tabqa to embrace his two daughters. To leave the caliphate — under penalty of death — they hitched a ride to the border one night and crawled along a railway line until they were within 70 meters of the border. Then they ran under fire from Turkish border guards until they could scramble into tall grasses. After some help from the Russian consulate in Istanbul, they made it back home, together again and safe.
This Father’s Day, thousands of dads will receive a “No. 1 Dad” mug to sip coffee out of at the office. But the following dads took that “No. 1” to a new level
BRIAN MUNN GAVE HIS SON A LIVER TRANSPLANT. When doctors discovered that baby Caleb Munn had a rare disease called biliary atresia, they told his parents that he was unlikely to survive past age 2 without a liver transplant. Luckily, his father was a perfect match, and he eagerly donated part of his liver in March 2015 to save his son’s life.
Father’s Day Chili Lime Chicken Wings
Which movie is the highest-grossing legal drama of all time?
This Father’s Day, spice up your wings with this zesty recipe that’s sure to please the whole family.
Send your answers to Shannon (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 pounds chicken wings
1. The first correct answer wins a $25 gift card to Starbucks.
1 lime, halved
1 stick unsalted butter, softened 1 1/4 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
2. All other submissions are entered for a drawing to win a second $25 gift card to Starbucks.
Extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3. The funniest wrong answer will be chosen by Shannon and will also win a $25 gift card to Starbucks. All entries must be sent to Shannon by 6/22/18, and the winners will be announced in our next monthly issue.
1/4 cup honey
Chopped cilantro for garnish
3. Blend butter, red curry paste, honey, and soy sauce in a large mixing bowl. 4. Toss wings in butter mixture. Squeeze lime juice on top, transfer to serving plate, and garnish with cilantro.
1. Heat oven to 425 F. 2. Rinse wings under cold water and pat dry. Season liberally with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast on a baking sheet for 25 minutes or until skin becomes crisp and brown.
Congratulations to last month’s winner: Lawrence H.
inspired by foodnetwork.com
www.SnellLaw.com | www.SnellInjuryLaw.com | F: 803-359-7691 | P: 803-753-1476 3
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs