Discover Student membership and transform your career
Welcome to the CIPD
Welcome to the CIPD – the professional body for HR and people development. By becoming a CIPD Student member, you’ll join a community of more than 150,000 HR and L&D professionals who are committed to championing better work and working lives. We’ve been setting the benchmark for excellence in people and organisation development for more than 100 years. But as the future of work unfolds, it will be your professional knowledge and understanding that will help people find the best opportunities to develop their skills and careers, and ensure that the way work is constructed, managed and experienced benefits individuals, business, and ultimately economies and society as a whole. By studying for a professional qualification, you’re demonstrating your commitment to taking that challenge seriously. And by joining the CIPD, you’ll find yourself a career partner to support you every step of the way.
Welcome and good luck in your studies.
Peter Cheese Chartered FCIPD Chief Executive, CIPD
Achieve your full potential
As your career partner, we promise to support, empower and inspire you during your studies and throughout your career in HR or L&D.
At the start of your CIPD Certificate or Diploma, you’ll need to join us as a Student member where you’ll get instant access to a range of HR and L&D resources and benefits that are essential to study success. • Keep on top of industry updates and trends (page 4–5 ) Get exclusive access to the CIPD’s practical employment law information, factsheets and guides plus expert research, surveys and policy reports. • Connect with other like-minded professionals (page 6) Widen your network and learn from other HR and L&D professionals through our online community forums and at the many CIPD events organised across the UK. • Save yourself money (page 7) Save 20% on your CIPD textbooks and get preferential rates on CIPD products and services.
‘I would highly recommend the CIPD membership to all professionals.’ Maya Mazloum, L&D Professional and Student Member
Give yourself an advantage Join us today, it’s quick and easy. CIPD.CO.UK/ STUDENTMEMBERSHIP
• Get support through confidential helplines (page 7) Access our 24/7 wellbeing helpline, personal legal helpline and employment law helpline to support you personally and in your work. • Leverage our useful career tools (page 8–9) Keep your career on the right track with exclusive resources and tools that help you make the most of job opportunities and manage your professional development. • Raise your professional credibility (page 10–11) You’ll be upgraded to Associate member with the designation of ‘Assoc CIPD’ after your name when you successfully complete your CIPD Certificate or Diploma. This accreditation will instantly put you in demand with employers and enhance your promotion and salary prospects due to the prestige associated with a CIPD badge.
Keep on top of industry updates and trends
‘If there’s anything I need to find out about HR I know that I’ll be able to find it through the CIPD quickly and easily.’
CIPD Student Hub – For all your study needs The world of work is changing fast, so it’s important to keep up to date with the latest thinking. As a Student member you’ll have exclusive access to the largest collection of online HR and L&D resources in the world. Whether you’re doing research for assessments, preparing for exams or involved in a project at work, we have just what you need, when you need it, 24/7. You can access all of the following online in our dedicated Student resources hub. • Factsheets, topic summaries and guides – get an overview of any HR or L&D topic. • Study factsheets – tips for study, preparing for exams and assignments. • Online journals (EBSCO Discovery Service) – over 270 HR, business and training journals. • Research – in-depth analysis and case studies on current HR and L&D issues.
Adam Connell Assoc CIPD (former Student member)
• Surveys – current data and analysis on topical HR issues and people management themes. • Podcasts and webinars – interviews with top HR, L&D and business leaders covering current topics and issues within the profession. • Employment law at work – FAQs, legal timetables, case reports and more. • Student FAQ’s – useful information for before, during and post studies. • People Management – award-winning magazine with the latest HR and L&D news. Also available online and as an app. • CIPD Update and In a nutshell... – emails with the latest news, jobs and roundup of the best HR and L&D thinking. • CIPD Student newsletter – written exclusively for Student members, it covers news relevant to your studies and career.
Latest news and jobs
Online journals (EBSCO Discovery Service) (E B CO Discovery Service)
Connect with other like-minded professionals
Expand your network Tap into a growing and vibrant membership base, Including over 30,000 CIPD Student members. You’ll discover there are numerous great opportunities to make valuable contacts and learn from the experiences of others.
• Local and online events Meet other CIPD members, including students studying in your area. • CIPD Community Join in the discussion, ask questions and network online. You can also download our app for access on the go.
• CIPD conferences and exhibitions Attend these events for inspiration and to share ideas. As a Student member, you’ll benefit from a reduced fee, and our exhibitions are free to attend. • CIPD social media channels Make connections and discover other people’s opinions on what’s going on in HR and L&D right now.
• CIPD student conferences Join the vibrant community of
‘Being a CIPD member means that I’m part of a professional network that makes me feel valued and drives me to achieve.’
CIPD students at these motivating and informative events, which take place around the UK and Ireland throughout the year.
Manreet Harish Assoc CIPD (former Student member)
Follow @CIPD and @CIPDSTUDENTS
Like our page FACEBOOK.COM/CIPDUK
Save yourself money As a Student member, save 20% on all your CIPD textbooks when purchased through our bookshop at Kogan Page. Get support through confidential helplines *
• Personal legal helpline , for advice on personal difficulties affecting you at work e.g. redundancy or dismissal • Employment law helpline , for advice on all aspects of UK and Irish employment law
You’ll also receive preferential rates on CIPD products and services , including our conferences, training and events. The sooner you join, the more you’ll save!
As a CIPD member you’ll have access to confidential helplines to support you personally and in your work: • 24/7 wellbeing helpline , plus access to online hub and mobile app, for support on mental health and wellbeing, as well as debt and financial issues
*UK and Ireland only
Leverage our useful career tools
Career guidance Everybody needs a guide. Whether you’re stuck in your role, planning a career break, entering the profession or considering your options, a guide will navigate you through the choices and challenges you face along the way. We’ve compiled a suite of information, tools and resources to help you achieve your career goals – no matter what they are, no matter where you are.
• Excelling in your current role – Three ways to progress in your current role. • Transitioning into the profession – Examples of successful transitions into the people profession. • How to manage a career break – Five top tips to maintain your employability and return to work with confidence. • Back-to-work support – Resources to help support those returning to work after a period of absence. • Our dedicated Career Hub – A CIPD member-only support resource packed full of the latest, regularly-updated career-based learning and support including career tools and assessments
Discover great HR and L&D The CIPD Profession Map The new Profession Map sets the international benchmark for the people profession. Use it to make better decisions, act with confidence, perform at your peak, drive change in your organisation and progress in your career. No matter who you are in the profession, whether you’re a CIPD member or not, the new Profession Map is relevant to you.
Free online learning We have launched a series of online courses, mapped against the new Profession Map, which bring the core behaviours to life and provide you with the opportunity to start reflecting on where you’re at. Use these courses to go beyond your course material and strengthen your practice as a people professional. Access is free for CIPD members.
Raise your professional credibility
Develop a first-class career
‘The CIPD has completely transformed my career.’ Dipesh Mistry Assoc CIPD Associate member
When you successfully complete your CIPD Certificate or Diploma, you’ll be automatically upgraded to Associate member.
CIPD Associate membership:
• is a mark of professionalism • gives you status, relevance and a competitive edge in the job market • entitles you to use the letters Assoc CIPD after your name. It’s something you can be proud of. Together with your CIPD qualification, membership will enhance your career prospects and earning potential, inspire confidence in your employer and give you credibility in the workplace.
‘I would say it’s critical to anyone’s career in HR or L&D to be a CIPD professional member.’ Nicola Barber Chartered FCIPD Chartered Fellow
If you’re studying the CIPD Advanced Level Diploma, upon successful completion you can apply for Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow status (subject to eligibility), and use the designatory letters Chartered MCIPD or Chartered FCIPD after your name. Achieving Chartered membership status demonstrates to employers, clients and peers that you have the knowledge and experience to create an impact in the workplace and make a difference to the organisation’s strategy and people.
What do the membership levels mean?
At this level you are typically using your professional expertise to deliver short to medium-term value for organisations and the people in them. Associate member Assoc CIPD
At this level you are typically using your professional expertise to deliver medium to long-term value for organisations and the people in them. Your work is likely to be operational in nature, with a strategic overview. Chartered Member Chartered MCIPD
At this level you’re typically shifting collective mindsets to create organisations that value people, and using your professional expertise to deliver long-term value for the profession. Chartered Fellow Chartered FCIPD
Become a CIPD Student member today Join online CIPD.CO.UK/STUDENTMEMBERSHIP Access resources for study and career success CIPD.CO.UK/CIPD-STUDENT View our member benefits CIPD.CO.UK/CIPD-BENEFITS Contact us Call +44 (0)20 8612 6208
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development 151 The Broadway London SW19 1JQ United Kingdom T +44 (0)20 8612 6200 F +44 (0)20 8612 6201 E email@example.com W cipd.co.uk Incorporated by Royal Charter Registered as a charity in England and Wales (1079797)
CIPD Middle East FZ LLC Office 3, Ground Floor, Block 2B, Dubai Knowledge Park, Dubai, UAE PO Box 503231 T +971 (0) 4 275 6900 E firstname.lastname@example.org W cipd.ae
CIPD Asia Ltd 39 Robinson Road #17-01
CIPD Ireland A3 The Locks Charlotte Quay Dock Dublin 4, Ireland T +353 1 678 0090 E email@example.com W cipd.ie
Singapore 068911 T +65 6338 4528 E firstname.lastname@example.org W cipd.asia
Scotland (SC045154) and Ireland (20100827) Issued: October 2020 Reference: 8059 © CIPD 2020Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online