Health & Fitness The Newsletter About Your Health & Caring For Your Body TIRED OF THAT ACHING BACK?
Inside This Newsletter
• 7 Tips For Avoiding Back Pain • Patient Spotlight • Team Member Spotlight • Referral Club • Healthy Recipe
Our goal is to serve you with such a great experience that you: Thank the person who sent you here AND Refer people that you care about to us
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Do you suffer from an aching back? For some, this can be a slight nagging ache, and others a sharp crippling pain. Whichever category you fall into, back pain can keep you down and out from fully enjoying life’s activities. Whether it stops you from performing well at work, or you have to think twice about bending down to play with your children, back pain can be a real pain. However, you are not alone. Here are some interesting facts on back pain: • Back pain is the number one disability for those under age 45. • In the United States of America alone, there are an expected 31 million people with lower back pain at any given time. • Back pain runs second, after only the common cold, as the top reason for visiting a healthcare provider in the United States. • Experts place the likelihood of any person to experience some type of back problem in their lifetime at about 80%. That’s four out of every five people!
• Around 30 to 40 percent of all workplace absences are due to back pain. • Approximately one quarter of U.S. adults reported having low back pain lasting at least one whole day in the past three months, and 7.6% reported at least one episode of severe acute low back pain within a one-year period. • More than two-thirds of back strains are caused by lifting and other exertions like pulling and pushing. • Most cases of back pain are mechanical—meaning they are NOTcaused by serious conditions, such as infection, fracture or cancer. The good news is that there is help for back pain sufferers and that is our SPINE program. By improving the movement of your spine, posture, muscle stability and strength, you can have a much healthier, pain-free back. There is a lot that you can learn during the program to make sure you are in control of preventing your back pain from returning. Call us today to learn more about how our SPINE program can help you!
Mid-Michigan is excited to announce another source to connect with our patients. We invite you to view and like our page on Facebook and be entered in a monthly drawing for a $25 giftcard! We’d love to hear how physical therapy has impacted your life and how we can help even more! Facebook.com/MidMichiganPT
7 TIPS FOR AVOIDING BACK PAIN
1. Get more exercise. Studies show that frequent changes in position and regular physical activity can actually help ease inflammation and muscle tension faster in the back. 2. Maintain a healthy weight. Extra pounds, especially in your midsection, can make back pain worse by shifting your center of gravity and putting strain on your lower back. Staying within 10 pounds of your ideal weight may help control back pain as well as all the other health benefits. 3. Quit smoking. Nicotine in smoke, restricts the flow of nutrient-containing blood to spinal discs, so smokers are especially vulnerable to back pain. 4. Sleeping position. If you’re prone to back pain, talk with our physical therapists about the best sleeping position. What is most important is to be in a comfortable position that you can sleep in to achieve the most rest.
5. Improve your posture. Find a good chair to sit on. Avoid soft couches or chairs that put you in a slouched position. 6. Watch how you lift. Don’t bend over from the waist to lift heavy objects. Bend your knees and squat, pulling in your stomach muscles and holding the object close to your body as you stand up. 7. Use supportive shoes. A good pair of shoes, with cushion can reduce pressure on your back. There is a lot that you can do to prevent back pain and alleviate it quickly when it starts. The important part is to work with your physical therapist to address the underlying cause of your back pain. This puts you on the right path to a healthy back that will support you pain free for a lifetime. To learn more about our SPINE program, contact us today and get on the correct path to a strong, healthy back!
COREY MCCUE, DPT Corey received his undergraduate from Alma College and completed his physical therapy education at the University of Michigan-Flint. Corey knewhewanted tobeaphysical therapisthissenior year of high school. He enjoys interacting with patients and helping them return to meaningful activities. He has been to Scotland but would like to return and explore more! When Corey is not helping his patients, he enjoys taking trips with his wife, playing with his dogs, exercising, golfing or playing soccer and hockey. TeamMember Spotlight Our TripTo Las Vegas& TheGrandCanyon
So, last September (my birthday month) I (John) decided that on a goal to see 5 NEW Places before my next birthday! As part of achieving this goal we decided to would take a trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon, as neither of us had ever been to either of these places in the past! It was a whirlwind trip – but it was a lot of fun! We stayed at the Mirage Hotel, which houses ‘The Secret GardenofSiegfried&Roy’wherea number of their Lions &Tigers are on display. We had tickets for a fewshows including the illusionist and magician David Copperfield. His show was AMAZING! (Highly
The Perfect Tailgate Treat For Football Fans!
Recommend).The highlight of our trip though was the Grand Canyon. We signed up for a helicopter trip that flew us from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon, while we got to see an magnificent aerial view of the Canyon, as well the Hoover Dan and Lake Mead (the largest reservoir in the U.S) We also tested our nerve for heights (and faith in a glass floor) by walking out on the Sky Walk at the west rim of the Canyon, where you can see the ‘Eagle’ Overall, it was a great trip and if you have never seen the Grand Canyon – we’d highly recommend that you do! PARMESAN-CRUSTED ZUCCHINI FRIES
INGREDIENTS • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese • 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper • 1 large egg, beaten • 3 small zucchini (1 1/4 pounds) • Cooking spray • 1/2 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
DIRECTIONS Preheat oven to 450°. Combine Parmesan cheese, panko, garlic powder, basil and red pepper in a small shallow bowl. Place egg in a separate shallow bowl. Trim ends from zucchini; cut each zucchini in half crosswise. Quarter each zucchini half lengthwise to make 24 zucchini sticks. Dip zucchini in egg; dredge in panko mixture; pressing to coat. Place zucchini on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of zucchini with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with pasta sauce.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE WINNERS Mid-Michigan Physical Therapy Specialists
Mid-Michigan Physical Therapy Specialists Physical Therapists Are TheMechanics Of Your Body!
People’s Choice Winner
Minor aches and pains are warning signals from your body to let you know something is not working properly. Don’t put off the pain until it’s too late. Come in today for a “Tune-Up.”
Take Care of Your Aches and Pains Before They Get Worse!
You Help Us, Help Others!
We want to thank those who refer their friends and family. This is the greatest referral because it means you trust us enough to take care of those important to you. As our token of appreciation we want to thank you with a $10 Target gift card and Membership in our Referral Club. We Want to Thank You For Helping Us To Serve The Community! Join Our Referral Club Today! Thank you so much to these people who referred a friend or family member during the month of August: Referral Club Members
REFER A FRIEND AND BECOME A MEMBER OF THE CLUB!
Michelle Hartman Jackie Boscher Mary Darl Andrea Chapin
Jan Dieball Cris Hatter Frank Woody Bruce Langton Judy Scranton Kailey Hawkins Carole Banfield
Ellen Mack Paul White Louise Laine
ARE YOU GOING TO BE OUR NEXT SUCCESS STORY? ON THE LAST DAY OF PT, I HAD ZERO PAIN!
“I’m Jennifer Schmitz and when I first can to Mid- Michigan PT, my knee was painful and it hurt a lot of the time. After just a few sessions of PT, the pain started to go away. Some my exercises were
challenging, but I got used to them over time! On the last day of PT, I had ZERO pain, I’m now able to do everything I want and I think the therapy received helped me a lot!” - Jennifer S.
NOW MY SHOULDER IS BETTER THAN IT HAS BEEN IN 3 YEARS!
“The day after my ( shoulder) labral surgical repair and I came in for therapy, I had very little motion and strength in my left shoulder. My PT ( Hayley) did a wonderful job working with me and helped me
regain my range of motion and strength. It took roughly 12 weeks to achieve my goals, but nowmy shoulder is better than it has been in 3 years. I would highly recommend Hayley and Mid-Michigan PT for anyone that needs therapy!” - David L.
I AM NOW ABLE TO DO MORE PHYSICALLY!
“Hi I’m Flora Rodgers and I have been to Mid-Michigan PT a number of times, while my experience is always great! This time around, as a result of my therapy, I am now able to do more physically and I can also
get around better. One of the things I really like, is the ongoing encouragement you get to also do your exercises at home to get stronger, while my exercises also seem to help me with my knee stiffness! I would highly recommend Mid-Michigan PT for your therapy!” - Flora R.
PRAYER STRETCH Start on your knees and bend forward, reaching arms out on floor in front of you as shown. Hold for 15 seconds, repeat 3 times. QUADRUPED ALTERNATE ARM While in a crawling position, slowly raise up an arm out in front of you, while lifting the opposite leg. Hold for 15 sec- onds. Repeat 10 times on each side. EXERCISE ESSENTIALS Try these simple exercises to help relieve back pain... Always consult your physical therapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of doing.
FREE HEALTH AND FITNESS SEMINARS
Neck Pain & Headache Relief • Saturday, October 14th 10:00am at Howell Clinic
Hi Valued Client,
The goal of these seminars is to provide a greater degree of understanding regarding the topics listed and the potential role of Physical Therapy, while they are FREE and all members of our community are welcome to attend! Exercise Related Hip & Knee Pain – Could It Be Bursitis? • Wednesday, September 20th 6:30pm at The Running Lab (Downtown Brighton) Low Back Pain & Sciatica Relief Without Drugs, Injections & Surgery • Saturday, September 23rd 10:00am at Howell Clinic
*Note: Please also visit our Website and Facebook page as other FREE Seminars are likely to be added for September and October. To register for any of these FREE workshops/ seminars, please call the clinic (517-545-3200) to reserve your spot! Limited spots available!
CO-OWNERS Glenda Maines, PT, DPT, MEd, OCS JohnDean, PT,DPT,MHS,OCS,SCS
DO YOU SUFFER FROM BACK PAIN OR SCIATICA? We Can Help YOU!
GET OUR FREE REPORT: Back Pain & Sciatica: The top 10 Burning Questions (plus answers!)
FREE BACK PAIN CONSULTATION
• Simply Email John : firstname.lastname@example.org • Include Subject Line: “Back Pain Free Report” • Please include your name & address*
*For A Physical Therapy Appointment, Please Call: 517-545-3200
*Most insurances require a PT referral
Offer valid thru 10.13.17Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook Annual report