Inflation Busters (CONT’D FROM PAGE 28)
Board Converting NEWS INTERNET DIRECTORY
on a case-by-case basis. “Generally speaking, it’s a good idea,” said McQuaig. “The danger is the possibility of run- ning out of cash if you do not have enough working cap- ital.” McQuaig gives the example of a company installing irrigation systems. “If they know pipe is going to go up in price because oil is a big component, and they see supply might get pinched, they might stock all the pipe they need for a year. But they won’t get back the money tied up in pipe until they receive it from their customer. They might end up in a situation in which they can’t meet their payroll.” Companies can obviate such difficulties by running month- ly or weekly cashflow forecasts. Raising Prices Asking more for goods and services is another way to adjust cash inflows. “Businesses are very hesitant to raise prices when they don’t have to,” said Conerly. “And they often get push back from their salespeople. But the fact is, buyers are accustomed to seeing price increases in infla- tionary times.”
Advantzware provides a flexible and comprehensive system to address the business management needs of the independent box business, as well as the ERP re- quirements of full scale packaging plants and integrat- ed companies. With modules for estimating, scheduling, production, inventory and accounting, this scalable sys- tem supports packaging plants that produce corrugat- ed boxes, folding cartons, point of purchase displays, assembled partitions, paperboard products, foam fab- rication, as well as distribution of packaging supplies. AIR CONVEYING CORPORATION www.accfi lter.com Air Conveying Corporation is a recognized leader in the in- dustry of Pneumatic Conveying Systems and has been in business since 1968. As an equipment manufacturer rather than simply a sales organization, we have complete control over the quality of material and products which make up your proposed system. Our equipment is found in Printing, Folding Carton and Corrugated plants throughout the coun- try and the world. Let us build you the best Trim Removal System you ever had. Contact us today. Amtech offers the industry’s most innovative and compre- hensive corrugated and packaging ERP, integrated sched- uling software, and engineered automation technology. For over 30 years, Amtech has remained at the backbone of successful businesses from the independent box makers to the largest integrateds. We keep our customers competitive in an ever-changing economy with options such as custom- er digital storefronts and workflows, business intelligence, automated scheduling for corrugators, converting and shipping, proactive roll stock and inventory management. APEX INTERNATIONAL www.apexinternational.com AMTECH SOFTWARE www.amtechsoftware.com World’s largest Anilox and Glue & Metering roll manufac- turer, providing the widest selection of corrugated engrav- ings and complementary services. Anilox engraving options available from our North American manufacturing facility include elongated 75°, 60°, 45°, plus Apex’s patented GTT technology. Glue rolls are produced with Hardened Stain- less Steel and a max TIR of 10 µ for Single, Double Facers.
The amount of increase can be based on the compo- nents of production, noted McQuaig. “If you are a builder of custom homes, do you have an inflation index in there in case your costs go up? Prices for lumber and other signif- icant items have been varying all over the map. If the time frame is a year to build a house, how did you price it at the front end to make sure that you were covered for inflation on the back end?” Price changes must be carefully communicated. “Give the white glove treatment to tier one customers by reach- ing out and explaining how your costs are rising,” said Beaver. “Communicate to them that the price rise is only temporary.” One approach is to tell your most important customers that you are absorbing 20% of the price in- creases and passing along the other 80%. Another is to separate out any fuel charge increases from the delivery costs and explain you are only passing them along. “A company will have more leverage to raise prices if it has offered great service and maintained inventory.” Above all, avoid delay. “Businesses are most successful at raising prices when they do so quickly,” said Anderson.
ALBANY INTERNATIONAL www.albint.com
Albany International has a corrugator belt for every appli- cation. Our reputation for durable performance is the trade- mark of the most dependable belts in service today.
CONTINUED ON PAGE 32
30 May 2, 2022
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online