PUZZLE NO. 655
51. Oomph 52. Advance, as cash 54. Shankar’s strings 56. Wane 57. Dent 58. Appease 60. Glow 61. Miles ____ hour 62. Pardon 68. Tibetan clerics 69. Luxurious 71. Poker-game starter 73. Chef’s need 74. Rip up 75. Skim 77. “If I ____ King” 78. Pertaining to a time period 79. Sloping walkway
14. Ship side 16. Type of rug 24. Nose parts 26. Frigid 27. Woody Allen drama 29. Martini ingredient 30. Out-of-date 31. Lost 32. Equivalent 33. Electric lamp feature 35. Lasso
WEEK OF APRIL 14 TO 20, 2013
What are straw mushrooms? These small mushrooms are widely available in supermarkets both in canned and dried produce. INGREDIENTS : - 2 whole chicken breasts - 15 ml (3 tsp) cornflour - 5 ml (1 tsp) salt - 2 ml (1/2 tsp) five-spice powder - 6 spring onions - 1 x 430 g (15 oz) can straw mushrooms - 1 canned bamboo shoot - Oil for deep frying - 250 ml (1 cup) peeled walnuts or blanched almonds - 125 ml (1/2 cup) stock Seen Goo Gai Lau To Yan (Chicken and walnuts with straw mushrooms)
THE LUCKIEST SIGNS THIS WEEK: LIBRA, SCORPIO, AND SAGITTARIUS.
ARIES Make some time for the care of your family or your house. This is a good time to develop a small family business to operate from home. TAURUS With summer coming, you’re very excited at the prospect of various adventures that you’re planning. You feel increasingly curious and want to learn about many dif- ferent things. GEMINI Curious by nature, you take the initiative to experience new adventures. At your workplace, an opening will come up for a job that you have been coveting for a long time. CANCER Your mind is very restless this week. In fact, you might get involved in a spiritual move- ment that will bring you many answers. LEO When you return home you’ll be swept away by inspiration for a masterpiece or you’ll undertake an act of generosity that benefits others. VIRGO There are lots of people around you this week. Enjoy their company. Pressure at work is high, so an active social life will help you relax. LIBRA You have a flash of inspiration about the perfect career path for you. You will receive confirmation in the form of an offer of training that will help you to get closer to it. SCORPIO Let your dreams run wild as you consider ideas for a summer vacation. Sometimes it’s important to plan such a grand adven- ture well in advance. SAGITTARIUS You’re rather sensitive at the moment, but some rest will prevent you from taking everything too personally. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to go away on vacation soon. CAPRICORN It’s always easier to negotiate with people we’re not emotionally involved with. You get along with everyone but you are a little less flexible with your children. Try to see things from their side. AQUARIUS The workplace is in an uproar and you should make the most of this. Trust your instincts and you’ll carve a niche for your- self among the elite of this world. PISCES You are warmly applauded after having accomplished an exploit that you felt was rather run of the mill. Perhaps you’ll do something heroic, even if it’s just listening to a person in distress.
37. Black, poetically 38. Lacquered metal 41. “Cannery ____” 44. Showed once more, as a TV program 46. Beloved actor 47. Desiccated 48. Celeb’s resort 50. Employee’s take
80. Disposed 81. Needlefish 83. Conductor’s abbr.
Copyright © 2013, Penny Press
ACROSS 1. Formerly, formerly 5. “Thou ____ not kill” 10. Base 8 number system 15. Behind 16. Daze 17. Level surface 18. Lavish fete 19. Regarding this matter 20. Pianist Blake 21. Augury 22. Music or dance, e.g. 23. Underground passage 25. Endorse 27. Scrap 28. Id’s relative 31. Congealed dish 34. Coffee server 36. Sell to the public
80. Century plant 82. Variety of grape 84. Vaccines 85. Church plate 86. Very perceptive 87. Coal wagon 88. Style 89. Sheltered area 90. Asta’s cry 2. Paper amount 3. Garage event 4. Conveyance 5. Breastbone 6. Feel pain 7. Sight in a Tarzan flick 8. Numbers game 9. Freshwater fish 10. Undo 11. Detective’s guide 12. Artistic grouping 13. Tropical bird DOWN 1. Therefore
39. Like anchovies 40. Greeted 41. Spring back 42. Ostrich’s kin 43. Ecological no-no 45. Auspices 48. Spread 49. Handrail support 53. Loss of hope 55. Bath beverage 56. Marketplaces 59. Boat propeller 61. Heathen 63. Toe dance 64. Lab letters 65. Fix text 66. Woman’s purchase 67. Matterhorn’s range 70. Shucks! 72. Pen 75. Commit a moral offense 76. Jug
ANSWER TO PUZZLE NO. 655
- 5 ml (1 tsp) light soy sauce - 5 ml (1 tsp) extra cornflour - 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water
CROSSWORD PUZZLE ANSWERS USE AMERICAN SPELLING
PUZZLE NO. 392
METHOD : Remove skin from chicken breasts and with a sharp knife cut flesh from bones. Skin and bones can be simmered in a little water and used for stock. Cut chicken meat into small dice. Combine cornflour, salt and five-spice powder and sprinkle over chicken. Toss to coat. Cut spring onions into bite-size lengths. Drain straw mushrooms and cut each mushroom in half. Dice bamboo shoot. Heat oil and deep fry walnuts or almonds until golden. Drain and set aside. Fry chicken pieces, a third at a time, in deep oil over high heat just until they change colour. This takes about 1 minute for each lot. As they are fried, lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Add vegetables to pan and stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute. Add stock. Mix soy and extra cornflour with cold water, add to pan, stir until it thickens. Add chicken pieces and heat through. Turn off heat, stir in nuts and serve immediately with rice noodles.
ANSWER TO PUZZLE NO. 392
HOW TO PLAY: Fill in the grid so that every row, every column, and every 3x3 box contains the numbers 1 through 9 only once. Each 3x3 box is outlined with a darker line. You already have a few numbers to get you started. Remember: You must not repeat the numbers 1 through 9 in the same line, column, or 3x3 box .
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker