October Kitchen - February 2020

This is our way of saying that you are important to us, and we truly value your business. Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to your friends and neighbors. ENJOY!

THE NOURISH LETTER

Meet the Team Behind Your Meals FEBRUARY 2020

OctoberKitchen.com | 860-533-0588 | 309 Green Rd., Manchester, CT 06042

How I Learned to Swallow My Pride and Ask for Help THE PIE INCIDENT

M any years ago, I broke my right wrist and elbow. I was laid up for six weeks, unable to work or even help with my church bakeshop! I couldn’t even take care of my lawn, which was why I was so surprised when I heard a lawnmower start up in my yard one day. I looked out the window and spotted my neighbor mowing my lawn entirely of his own volition. I didn’t know he was going to do this and while I was grateful to him, I also remember being so upset. As I stood in my kitchen, an intense feeling of shame came over me. Sure, my arm was broken, but I felt like I should have been able to mow my own lawn. That’s when I realized I had a real issue with receiving help.

There’s an old saying that 80% of the work in life gets done by just 20% of the people. That’s not always because the other 80% of people are lazy — sometimes it’s because that 20% don’t know when they need to ask for help. This is a big problem for someone like me who’s always involved in some activity or organization. In addition to October Kitchen, I’m also involved with my church, I’ve spearheaded the annual wine tasting dinner with my masonic lodge and I’m the chairman of Rockville Fish & Game Club’s hospitality committee. I’ve put on dinners and events for all these organizations, which demanded many long nights and sacrificed weekends. Don’t get me wrong, I love putting on events and making great things happen, but I’ve always struggled with the idea that if I don’t do everything myself, it won’t get done. This refusal to accept, or even ask, for help really came back to bite me when we started offering Thanksgiving catering boxes at October Kitchen. I didn’t want to burden my staff with the extra work, so I did it all myself. The first year was okay because it was our smallest number of orders. The second year literally wrecked me. We got twice as many orders, which meant I was in the kitchen until 3 a.m. pushing pies. I

After the pie incident, I forced myself to ask for help. I have never been let down in that regard.

Continued on Page 3 ...

1

860-533-0588

Published by The Newsletter Pro • www.NewsletterPro.com

octoberkitchen.com

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker