Capitol Hill’s population grows to 5,000 residents. 1916
The Capitol Hill Theatre movie house renamed Yale Theatre.
The Capitol Hill News (later the Capitol Hill Beacon ) is established as the town’s newspaper. Police and fire services are added. The home of Dr. W.C. Hottle serves as the first hospital in the south metro.
Oklahoma becomes the 47 th state in the Union. November 16, 1907
The Morris Packing Plant opens, establishing Capitol Hill as a center of commerce. It’s often referred to as “Packingtown.” Lee Elementary is built. It’s the first public school in the area. Approximately 2,500 residents call Capitol Hill home.
May 3, 1904
A significant flood of the North Canadian River and Lightning Creek occurs, destroying many homes and businesses in Capitol Hill and surrounding south OKC areas.
Capitol Hill Junior High and Capitol Hill Elementary are established.
The town of Capitol Hill is incorporated. Mount St. Mary’s Academy is built the same year.
T he history of Capitol Hill is unique to its After the Oklahoma Land Run in 1889, Benoni R. Harrington saw the value of the land south of what is now downtown Oklahoma City and the North Canadian River. His hopes were that this area would eventually be the site of the State Capitol. He purchased the land from Miss Tryphosa Boyd, who claimed the 160-acres in the Land Run. In 1900, Harrington begins the process of platting this area for development and four years later, Capitol Hill is incorporated as a town. geographic boundaries, but is also an integral part of the rise of and expansion of Oklahoma City today.
The town of Capitol Hill is annexed by neighboring Oklahoma City and in six years, its population doubles to 5,000 residents. This growth continues into the roaring 20s with the establishment of three more schools, Capitol Hill General Hospital, and Capitol Hill Savings and Loan Association. In the late 1920s, Little Flower Church, a monastery and school, opens with a mission to serve the numerous Mexican-American residents of the area. Over the next 100 years, this population sees significant growth. Two significant events occur in this era: a flood destroys homes and businesses in the area and the discovery of oil near S.E. 59 th and Bryant.
The latter creates a second economic boom for the area.
The early part of the 20 th century is measured by the growth of the area. Mount St. Mary’s Academy, the area’s Capitol Hill News (later known as the Capitol Hill Beacon) , the town’s first newspaper, are established. The area also gains police, fire, and hospital services. In 1909, the opening of the Morris Meat Packing Plant and the town’s proximity to the stock exchange puts Capitol Hill on the map as a thriving business district. During this time, Lee Elementary is built. This is Capitol Hill’s first public school and one of the first public schools in the area. By 1910, Capitol Hill has approximately 2,500 residents. This same year, the Oklahoma state capitol is permanently moved from Guthrie to northeast Oklahoma City.
However, the 1930s brings the Great Depression and a decade of survival for the residents of Capitol Hill. It is not until World War II, that the district regains its economic momentum along Commerce Street. This era marks the rise of Tinker Air Force Base, the growth of brand new suburban areas, and the beginning of the “Baby Boomers”. As the 1940s close out, the early 1950s bring several notable new additions to the area: Southeast High School, Capitol Hill Library, Katz Drug Co., Langston’s
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker