Head of Campus Operations Candidate Pack
The University of Law, a private university, (formerly the College of Law), is one of the UK’s leading and longest established providers of legal education and training with origins dating back to 1876 with the formation of the leading tutorial firm Gibson & Weldon and later on, with the establishment of The Law Society School of Law. In 1962 the two were amalgamated to establish The College of Law. The University was the first ever independent institution to be granted degree awarding powers, gaining University title (The University of Law) in 2012 before being bought by Global University Systems in 2015. Working right at the heart of the legal profession, the University brings together teaching of the highest quality, a focus on practical skills and innovative learning styles to deliver perfect preparation for life in legal practice and ongoing professional development. The University is in an ongoing, exciting period of growth and expansion with more than 10,000 students, circa 800 staff and 14 campuses across the UK and Hong Kong. Alongside its Legal education and training, it is also expanding its Business school offering both in the UK and in Berlin. All campuses are close to thriving commercial centres, leading law firms and have strong transport links. Each campus is a modern, well-equipped professional law school providing a comfortable and stimulating learning and working environment.
VISION, CORPORATE PLAN & STRATEGY
Vision and mission To be the global university of choice for the professions, by driving innovation in applied education to deliver outstanding employment outcomes. The University of Law exists to serve its students and their future employers by being global leaders in providing applied knowledge and skills.
Vision and Mission
Drawing on our heritage as one of the UK’s longest established law schools, we strive to build on our success through the ethos of IDEAS:
• Innovation - for our people, campuses, technology and business practices
Innovation and Growth
• Diversity - continuously improving the quality, quantity and flexibility of our courses
• Employability focus - ensuring our students are in demand by firms and businesses
• Ambition – inspiring the best in our students and society
• Success - academically and professionally for all
Student focus • The quality of the student experience is key to our ethos, reputation and our ability to recruit and be commercially successful We were ranked in the Top 10 for 5 core categories in the National Student Survey 2019 and in the same year were awarded Silver in the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework for our teaching, learning and outcomes. Our performance in the critical categories of teaching excellence and academic support for students is sector leading.
Widening participation We are committed to widening participation and diversity across all of the University’s programmes.
Innovation and Growth • Our programme portfolio is constantly evolving to remain innovative, topical and relevant • Our reach is being extended through the creation of new campuses and partnerships • Our reputation, and the global importance of the English legal system, position us well to increase overseas recruitment beyond our traditional UK-focused student base
People We strive to:
• Support the development of colleagues to enable the delivery of an even higher quality service • Recognise and reward strong performance
Student Experience In addition to our teaching, the business processes that drive the student journey are pivotal to our students’ experience. We look to work collaboratively with the student body, being responsive to student needs and feedback.
• We will continue to invest in the student experience, its people and facilities • We will continue to deliver high quality services in a cost-effective way • We will use resources in an efficient and responsible manner
4. Guildford Campus
5. Leeds Campus
6. London Bloomsbury Campus
7. London Moorgate Campus
8. Manchester Campus
9. Nottingham Campus (new for 2019)
10. The University of Law at UEA in Norwich (new for 2019)
11. The University of Law in Exeter
12. The University of Law in Liverpool
13. The University of Law at Reading
All of our campuses are in thriving commercial areas and offer the same fully-resourced facilities, including well equipped IT suites with PCs for DVD and i-Tutorials, comprehensive law libraries with all the latest legal texts, quiet study areas and places to relax.
14. Hong Kong Centre (new for 2019 )
Main Function of Job
(1) To be a key leader in the campus to ensure that operations and services continually enhance the students experience and environment.
(2) To act as a positive champion during and after the completion of the transition into an integrated staffing model and shared service environment.
Main Function of Job
Reporting to Campus Deans (dotted line to Director of Operational Delivery) Location Chester/Liverpool/Online
Direct Reports Campus Business Professionals
The post holder will need to proactively engage and collaborate with the centralised and specialised stakeholders across the University and GEI for effective delivery of services and processes back into the Campus.
Head of Campus Operations
Campus Management • To work closely with central, specialist and global shared services departments to ensure that service provision to students is planned, coordinated, delivered consistently and effectively, to the standards required by the University. • To be responsible for the day to day delivery of operations and customer services by managing a multi-functional team of business professional staff who are focussed on understanding the student journey, whilst encouraging a culture that anticipates student needs and provides solutions either directly and/ or with input from other departments, to facilitate access to services both inside and outside of the campus. • To act as a champion in the transition period and thereafter to ensure operational services are delivered throughout the campus in accordance with University standards. • To build and drive metrics around attendance, engagement and student satisfaction by working with key teams within the University. • To liaise and collaborate with the staff in the relevant central quality units for the continuous improvement of systems, processes and service levels – enabling training to take place and participating in audits aimed at identifying problem areas and improvements. • To engage with and support safeguarding and prevent policy implementation for the campus. • To become a customer service specialist for the campus, engaging with and delivering training to employees to ensure excellence within customer service. • To be responsible for the implementation and management of a student information service that is seen as the ‘go to’ solution point for students. • To be responsible for cascading the University’s Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Objectives and measuring commitment from campus based staff. • To be responsible for in campus related activities and events and delegate effectively. • To manage the facilities team in campus, liaising closely with the Estates department where necessary.
Operational Services • To be responsible for the Campus’s compliance with all necessary legal requirements in regard to Health & Safety and Fire Safety. • To operate as the Tier 4 officer for the campus. • To implement and manage contracts necessary for the delivery of services within the Campus. • To ensure all other statutory compliance is understood and adhered to by all campus staff and reporting is delivered, where necessary. • To deal effectively with student complaints whilst reviewing and improving processes and procedures that minimise such complaints. Reporting Line The Head of Campus Operations will report directly to the Dean at a Campus level but will operate in a matrix environment to many key stakeholders within the University. In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by the Dean and other senior key stakeholders from time to time. The post holder is required to be flexible in their role and working hours to meet the needs of the business.
This job description is correct at October 2019. It may vary in consultation with the post holder to reflect developments and differing requirements in the Campus/University.
Education Essential • Graduate level or equivalent professional qualification
Desirable • Professional Project Management qualification
• Safeguarding Certification • Customer service certification • NEBOSH or IOSH qualification (achieved, studying towards or willing to study towards) • Lean Six Sigma or equivalent certification
• Customer focus and client satisfaction skills • Excellent oral and written communication skills • Excellent people management and leadership skills • Excellent planning and prioritisation skills • Excellent presentation skills • Excellent team working skills • Demonstrable high level collaboration skills with other key stakeholders in UK and Internationally • High level of numeracy and IT literacy skills • Ability to work with a degree of ambiguity and change • Positive & proactive attitude
Desirable • Quick learner • Analysis and continuous improvement skills
Experience Essential • Substantial proven experience in a management/leadership role • Delivering exceptional quality services to customers
• Monitoring and managing budgets • Effecting and managing change • Management of health & safety compliance • Managing premises and facilities • Delivering projects within time-scales and to budgets • Proven ability to achieve targets and goals • Managing and developing staff as direct reports • People management e.g. Recruitment and selection, performance management • Comfortable and willing working in a multicultural environment Desirable • Previous experience in an educational establishment particularly in course administration, assessments, student records or timetabling • Experience of service tender processes • Experience of developing effective working practices in an on-shore off-shore environment • Working within a multifunctional / multisite matrix environment • Knowledge of current employment law and practice • Outline understanding of the legal and legal education market place, particularly in the relevant location
Behavioural Skills Essential • Analytical problem solver • Champion of change • Excellent interpersonal skills • Professional, credible, commands and gives respect • Organised with excellent prioritisation skills • Flexible and prepared to be hands-on, where required
Essential • Flexibility in working hours will be required to meet demands of the role, particularly in the first 12 months
The University is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group (MRG) .
To arrange a brief conversation please contact our advisor Sian Gardiner of MRG on 020 8892 0115 / 07932 717 458 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV and covering letter.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator