As we headed seaward, the right side of the vessel revealed housing of several kinds lining the river. On the left side were the afore listed commercial activities and a pretty public park. One of the bridges was called “The Iron Bridge” and it was designed and built by Eiffel, of Parisian fame, and his students. It is used today for trains.
Yet another way of getting an overview of Pulchritudinous Porto is by climbing the Tower of Clerigos, the Bell Tower for the Church of the Clerigos (Church of the Clergymen). The tower is 248 ft. high and is visible from all over the city. The Church was built from1732 to 1750 and is Baroque in style. The Tower is also a baroque structure and it joined the church complex in 1763. And, no, we did not have time to climb its many steps. The Tower is now a symbol of the city.
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online