Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
SCIATICAHHHHHH?! : MY PERSONAL REVELATION AND EXPERIENCE WITH DRY NEEDLING
It’s hard to believe that Christmas 2016 is quickly approaching and with that, the close of year number 9 for me and The Next Level! It truly has been a wonderful journey of ups and downs (well, mostly ups) during which I’ve had the privilege of working with some amazing people…both staff and patients. And if the good Lord is willing, I look forward to many more years of serving this community! If you’ve been paying attention at all over the past few months you know our focus lately at The Next Level has been trying to educate our past patients and local community about the long-term benefits of physical therapy for the treatment of back pain and sciatica. Although the statistics say that 80-90% of us will experience back pain at some point in our lives, the consensus in the medical community is that early diagnosis and treatment is not only the key to a full recovery but also for preventing future “episodes.” When we’re hurting, most of us want a solution..like a right now solution, so that we can get back to our busy lives. Let’s face it, who really has time to be shut down by back pain or sciatica?? I know I don’t!! I’ve got places to go and things to do. So I’m always looking for the quickest ways to get from point A (pain) to point B (no pain) for me and my peeps. Last month I shared a story of one of my personal back pain “episodes” and this month I’d like to share how one treatment option not only helped me but has also made a significant impact in the way I practice. DRY NEEDLING. Ok, I’ll let that sink in a minute because I know many of you will be immediately cringing or thinking to yourself “Ohhh no! I don’t DO needles”! LOL. I completely get that because to be honest, I’m not a needle person either. But after my training and personal experience with dry needling, I am now a believer in what a dramatic and immediate impact it can have in reducing or eliminating pain. The actual training however was a little scary..because you are essentially a guinea pig for others who have absolutely NO experience whatsoever! That is a story best left to discuss over drinks! It was my drive to Atlanta to get certified in Dry Needling that ironically made me believe in not only what it can do but also the power a muscle can have at sending pain to other areas of the body (trigger points). During that 7 hour journey, I started experiencing severe butt, thigh and leg pain that would not quit. Sciatica right? And it persisted once I arrived at the course.
And when it was time to needle the buttocks and hip I was a little nervous to say the least. So I’m laying there, butt exposed to the world (yes, you have to have thick skin and no modesty at these things) and the “student” begins inserting needles into the muscles of my butt. When they got to a particular muscle, the gluteus medius (No worries…I wont ever ask you to remember that), instantly it reproduced the pain radiating down my leg. And the needles were nowhere near the sciatic nerve! Take home point? Not all “sciatica” is from the sciatic nerve. The best part is that after the “practicing” was over? No pain…..at all!! My sciatica was really just a tiny spasm (trigger point) in one butt muscle and by needling it, the spasm was released, along with my pain. The painless drive back home gave me time to think and change my mindset on the way I “practice”. Dry needling (which I hate the word needle. Cause Its more like a very thin filament) doesn’t have to be scary and can make a big impact and be a critical step at getting rid of your back pain. As funny or strange as it may sound, I routinely needle myself to head of minor issues before they become major problems. You can do the same. It all starts with a proper assessment which in this case is called a “Discovery Visit”. It’s totally free and will determine if dry needling or other options may be right for you.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK
1. Keep a Good Posture When you are standing, imagine a string through the topofyourhead liftingyoustraight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. With sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shouldersshouldnotslouchwhensitting.Avoid soft couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles. This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine.
3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. Bykeepingyourbody flexible, thenormal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine everyday can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine are called your core muscles and include your abdominal, pelvis, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more.
5. Physical Therapy Our physical therapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activitiesyou love. Ifyouhaveahistoryofback pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best foryour individualproblem.Withsoothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call Today!
Jim Silvestri PT, Cred. MDT
Jim specializes in the treatment of acute and chronic injuries of the shoulder and elbow complex. Jim’sspecialtiesandcertifications include:Triggerpoint releaseusing dry needling, positional release therapy, functional therapeutics, laser therapyandhehasenhanced his understanding of the throwing athlete by completing over 20 post graduate courses pertaining to the diagnosis and treatment of neck, back, shoulder, elbow, and knee pathologies. He has a neck and back pain certification in Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy by the McKenzie Institute. He also became a certified pitching coach through the National Pitching Association,
as a result of his passion for baseball and his commitment to returning injured athletes to competition. Dedicated to Injury Prevention.Jimhasalsodedicated considerable post graduate study to sport specific training and biomechanics in order to enhance play and reduce the recurrence of injuries. Jim is a trusted Clinical Instructor of physical therapy graduatestudents.Hehasenjoyed mentoring and helping students improve their clinical skills for the past 17 years.
A graduate of LSU School of Allied Health Professions, Jim has been treating NorthShore athletes and community members for over 25 years (including 20 years of service as the team physical therapist for Fontainebleau High School football
team).Jim has performed thousands ofmusculoskeletalexamsandgained valuable insight into the pain and problems encountered by just about anyonewho isexperiencingamuscle, joint, post-surgical or movement disorder.
CALL TODAY! (985) 898-0721
Physical Therapists Are The Mechanics Of Your Body
Think PT First
Patient Success Spotlight
“I toldmydoctor that Iwanted togoback toTheNextLevel formyphysical therapy, because of the good results that I received from them in the past. I can now walk up and down the stairs, using both legs, something that I haven’t been able to do in a long time. With the strengthening and balance that I have gotten at The Next Level, my bowling game has continued to improve. Thanks to everyone at The Next Level.” – Claude M. I can now walk up and down the stairs!
Why You Need To Come Back In For A Tune- Up: � Move without pain � Bend and move freely � Balance confidently and securely � Sit for long periods comfortably � Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle
Take Care of Your Aches and Pains Before It’s Too Late.
Feel Better, Do More & Save Money This Holiday Season!
The end of the year is approaching faster than you think. Now is the time to take advantageofunused insurance benefits.Remember,whatyou don’tuseby theendof theyear you lose.
Not sure if Physical Therapy can help? Call to schedule a Free Consult with a licensed physical therapist now and address those “aches/pains” that are slowing you down.
Attention Back Pain Sufferers! Do You Have Difficulty Bending Or Reaching?
• Decrease your pain • Increase your strength • Increase your activity level We can help:
• Increase your flexibility • Improve your health • Get back to living
Mention or Bring in This Coupon Today For a FREE Back Pain Discovery Visit What is a DISCOVERY VISIT? It is a one on one free consultation with a Physical Therapist who figures out why you are in pain and develops a plan to get you feeling better.
Call Today: 985-898-0721
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 12-29-16.
MADISONVILLE 610DeerCrossCourtE.® Madisonville,LA70447 Phone:(985)898-0721 Fax:(985)898-0725
“Hey! Just want to catch up with you on a regular basis and help you be pain-free!”
Look Inside For A FREE Discovery VisitPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker