HEALTH & WELLNESS The Newsletter About Your Health and Caring for Your Body
SOUTHSHERBROOK.COM Call Us Today! (204) 774-9903
Don’t Ignore Your Back Pain • How to Take Care of Your Back • Healthy Recipe • Now Available: Telehealth Services • Exercise Essentials
NOW AVAILABLE: TELEHEALTH SERVICES! Learn More Inside >>
DON’T IGNORE YOUR BACK PAIN INJUR I ES ARE A REAL PAIN IN THE BACK
103-88 Sherbrook Street Winnipeg, MB R3C 2B3 Phone: (204) 774-9903 Fax: (204) 774-9927
Our Specialty Services: Massage Therapy, Fitness Centre, Physiotherapy, Athletic Therapy
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
DON’ T I GNORE YOUR BACK PA IN INJURIES ARE A REAL PAIN IN THE BACK
The back is one of the most vulnerable parts of the body. You rely on it so heavily —whether it is to shoulder your emotional stresses or to physically lift something that you need to carry with you. Your back is constantly at risk. It is at risk when you drive, being one of the body parts likely to take the biggest impact in case of an accident. It is at risk when you are safely at home on your couch or at the office, where you are likely scrunched over and not caring one bit about your posture. It is at risk when you run, when you play sports, and even when you find yourself sick and are coughing so heavily that your back begins to hurt. It is no wonder that so many people experience back injuries every year. What is a big wonder is that so many people choose to ignore their back injuries year after year! When you break an arm or get a cut on your leg, you are likely to do something about it right away. The sight of blood leaving your body or the realization that a bone isn’t sitting right is something that not many people are going to deal with for too long before seeking medical attention. Yet when pain begins in the back, it is almost normal to ignore it. Everyone develops back pain, time to time, right? There is no reason to stress about it or overreact, right? Absolutely wrong! Understanding Back Pain Back pain may be common, but it is absolutely not normal. There are actually a lot of serious conditions that can cause your back to begin to
hurt, and it is smart to have your back looked at by a physician early on so that you know exactly what is going onwith your body fromthe get-go. Once the cause of your back pain is determined, your physiotherapist will be able to identify the best treatment options for your body’s needs. This will likely include the following: • Targeted exercises that are specialized to the region of the back that is experiencing themost pain. These exercises are designed to help build strength and support the surrounding muscles. • Guided stretching designed to improve range of motion and flexibility. This will take into account the health and vivacity of vertebrae and any potential stretches that may support optimal back health. • Support and guidance with an exercise routine and habit formation, especially with cardiovascular activity that can stimulate improved blood circulation to the affected areas of the back, as well as strength- building activities. Attempting to undertake any of these changes on your own after you’ve experienced a back injury is both dangerous and not recommended. Working with a licensed and experienced physiotherapist can provide you with the guidance and ongoing support that you need to ensure that you do not experience any further injury as you attempt to heal the cause of your back pain.
Getting to the Bottom of Back Pain There are a lot of different reasons as to why youmay be experiencing back pain, and ignoring any of them is not a good idea. Some of the most common issues that cause back pain to linger include: • Muscle sprain or strain • Slipped vertebrae or disc • Tear or hyperextension to the supporting muscles or tendons • Arthritis These concerns can develop as a result of a myriad of environmental issues, such as having poor posture, prolonged sedentary activity, car crash, sporting accident, stress, heavy lifting, and so on. When It Comes to Back Pain, Don’t Wait! When you experience an injury to your back, or realize that you are experiencing regular pain as a result of an ongoing injury or overuse, it is important to find out the cause of your back pain as quickly as possible. Back pain can quickly become chronic, as a potentially small issue can become complicated when it is not addressed early on. Working with a physiotherapist can help you to identify the difference between environmental causes and something more medically based. Call us at (204) 774-9903 today or visit our website at southsherbrook.com to schedule an appointment.
PAIN RELIEF IS HERE: CALL (204) 774-9903 TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK
1. Keep a Good Posture. When standing, imagine a string through the top of your head lifting you straight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. While sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shoulders should not slouch when sitting. Avoid soft couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly. Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles. This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine. 3. Stay Flexible. Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. By keeping your body flexible, the normal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine every day can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step.
4. Stay Strong. You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine include your abdominal, pelvis, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more. 5. Physiotherapy. Our physiotherapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check-up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises, we canhelp you return quickly to feeling your best.
We can help you get out of pain and back to living the life you deserve. Contact us today at (204) 774-9903 or visit our website at southsherbrook.com.
HEALTHY RECIPE MED I T ERRANEAN CH I CKPEA SAL AD
In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and several grinds of pepper. In a skillet over medium-low heat, toast the cumin seeds until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove seeds from heat and crush (amortar & pestle is easiest). Add seeds to the bowl and stir. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, dates, cucumbers, red pepper, and parsley to the bowl and toss. Transfer to a serving platter and dollop with goat cheese, sprinkle with mint, and top with extra roasted chickpeas, if desired. Season to taste and serve. www.loveandlemons.com/chickpea-salad-recipe Directions
• 3 Persian cucumbers, sliced into thin half moons • 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers • ¼ cup finely chopped parsley • 3 ounces honey goat cheese (or similar) • ¼ cup fresh mint • 1 cup chopped roasted chickpeas, (optional)
• 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil • 3 garlic cloves, minced • 1 Tbsp lemon zest • 2 Tbsp lemon juice • 3/4 tsp sea salt • Freshly ground black pepper • 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds* • 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained & rinsed • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved • 4 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
While Our Clinic is Closed, We’re Still Here for You! In light of the COVID-19 pandemic that has been causing numerous health care facilities to shut down, we are diligently trying to serve our patients in the best way possible without risking the spread of this disease. We now provide Telehealth services! You can access our services in the comfort of your home through video telecommunications with your physiotherapist. This means you can stay safe and healthy during this pandemic while continuing your treatment. We can use this telehealth tool for screening, follow up appointments, wellness check-ins, home exercise progression, and even for initial evaluations and treatments! You will still receive the same impeccable quality of care from the comfort and convenience of your own home or office. Call South Sherbrook today at (204) 774-9903 to learn more about our Telehealth services, ask any question you might have, or to schedule an appointment! NOW AVAILABLE: TELEHEALTH SERVICES
• Nutritional Counseling • Orthotics • Therapeutic Exercise • Ultrasound • Fitness Centre • 1:1 Personal Training • Boot Camps
• Physiotherapy • Athletic Therapy • Ergonomic Training • IASTM • Kinesio Taping • Laser Therapy • Manual Therapy • Massage Therapy • Myofasical Release
WHAT PATIENTS ARE SAYING
HAS YOUR PA I N COME BACK?
I came to South Sherbrook Therapy for help dealing with
1 2 3
Keep up with your physiotherapy exercises to relieve pain and prevent further injuries. If your pain doesn’t subside, consult with your therapist about what other things might be causing pain. Call South Sherbrook Therapy for an injury consultation. We will guide you so you can get back to the activities you love.
lower back pain and the whole experience has been as perfect as you could hope for. The staff is friendly, organized and all know what they are doing. Mark has always shown genuine care about my treatment plan and has a great balance of professionalism and interpersonal skills. I would recommend this office with absolutely no hesitation.”
- R. B. via Google Reviews
EXERC I SE ESSENT I AL S US E T H I S E X E RC I S E TO S T R E TCH YOUR LOWE R BACK
HOURS • MONDAY | 9AM-6PM • TUESDAY | 9AM-7PM
Exercises copyright of
• WEDNESDAY | 9AM-6PM • THURSDAY | 9AM-6:30PM • FRIDAY | 9AM-6PM • SATURDAY | 10AM-2PM Massage: currently only Tuesdays, Thursdays and alternating Saturdays
Lower Trunk Rotation Lie down on your back, bend your knees and drop them to either side and hold for ten seconds. This stretch should be felt in the lower back and sometimes in the outer hips as well.
Always consult your physiotherapist or physician before starting exercises you are unsure of.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online