Alleyn Club Yearbook 2017

running the Gilbert White museum at Selborne, the Leonard Cheshire disability care home at Empshott, and Shopmobility in Petersfield, all in Hampshire. He also spent many years volunteering at Jane Austen’s house at Chawton, Hampshire, and for the National Trust at Uppark, near South Harting, West Sussex. He was a member of the church throughout his adult life, acting as church warden in Worting and Selborne for many years. Geoffrey was happily married for 66 years, and had two sons and a daughter, as well as several grandchildren. His son Paul contributed significantly to this obituary. Michael Edward Coles [1944-51] 23.10.1932 – 21.04.2016 Michael Coles came to Dulwich from Eden LCC scholarship as part of the Gilkes Experiment and was in Drake. He was House Captain of Drake in his final year, when David Knight (DVK) was housemaster. He played rugby for the 2nd XV, cricket for the 2nd XI, and was a school prefect. He was also in the CCF and became its company sergeant major (CSM) in 1950. After leaving the school, he continued playing rugby and cricket for the OAs, playing three matches for the 1st XV when Brian Capon was captain. On leaving Dulwich, instead of going to university, he joined a law firm and entered into five years of Articles of Clerkship, obtained honours in the final examinations in 1956 and became a solicitor in February 1957, thus following his father into the legal profession. Initially he practised in London as an Assistant Solicitor Road Primary School in West Norwood on an

both his amateur playing partners and the professional participants that made critical pundits like Geoffrey Boycott look mild and forgiving, which made Steve a unique and treasured friend with whom to share one’s sporting and social interests. Former staff colleagues Chris Wall and Chris Ottewill, as well as OAs Peter Humphrey and Tim Birse all contributed to this obituary. Geoffrey Richard Chrimes [1936-39] 16.06.1923 – 24.09.2015 to the College from Brightlands. At the College he was in Drake, but left school just after his sixteenth birthday with war looming. His working career was entirely in the rail industry, starting off by training as a steam locomotive engineer in the Southern Railway’s Brighton Workshops during the Second World War. While there he also joined the Home Guard, as a private in the 2nd Southern Railway Battalion. He also joined the Royal Engineer Reserves, eventually becoming a Captain. He moved around the rail network after the war, with increasing responsibility in each role as he found himself in the Southern, Scottish, Eastern and London Midland regions, before being appointed as Deputy Operating Officer of the entire Southern Region, based at Waterloo station, in 1960, where he remained until retirement in 1982. Geoffrey was a keen sportsman in his youth, and a frequent visitor to Lord’s Cricket Ground in later years, where he was a member of the MCC. He was also very fond of classical music, including running a music club for several years. He was heavily involved in charitable work, especially in retirement including spells Geoffrey Chrimes was born in Streatham and followed his elder brother

retirement from teaching, and Steve was still a loyal attendee at Dulwich supporting the College 1st XI and XV regularly. Additionally he endeavoured to get to a number of school 7-a-side tournaments each year. He spent a lot of time at the College but did manage to fit in a few outside interests. His most illustrious hobby was playing bridge, representing the UK at the Junior European Bridge Championship in 1972, and following this with full international caps for England in the Camrose Trophy. He had many triumphs at both national and local level and still played competitively to a high standard after retirement. He was always slightly irked that, despite having been a member of Farnborough Bridge Club for over fifty years, he was only the club’s second-longest serving member; a school friend of his having joined a fortnight before he did. He was an accomplished chess player and rarely lost to a student in the annual staff versus boys match. He was also a competent and combative member of Wickham Park Cricket Club for thirty years. He was a defensive batsman, very good slip fielder in his younger days, and a fine captain who brought his mathematical training to the art of field placing. He also played golf, being a member of Hever Castle and latterly Langley Park Golf clubs, organised annual golfing tours which took him with friends to most parts of the UK over the years, and regularly went as a spectator to the Open Championship. Despite surgery to replace both knees shortly before retirement, he returned to playing golf with renewed determination to continue improving. At all sports, he always made unsparingly critical observations of


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online