Alleyn Club Yearbook 2017

year. He was also a house monitor in Marlowe, as well as a school prefect and Blew House prefect. After leaving Dulwich, he did National Service with a Short Service Commission in the Royal Artillery, serving in Germany and Hong Kong. He then emigrated to Canada where he worked in manufacturing and also became involved with running sports and leisure clubs. He developed his artistic skills producing pen and wash drawings of buildings which were used by estate agents. He continued to play rugby and went on rugby tours to USA and to England. He acted in local drama groups and even starred in a film which was publicly released and recently shown in Rye. After thirty years in Canada, he returned to the UK and settled in Rye, East Sussex. His first wife, Sarah, who is now deceased, was the mother of his son Max, who still lives in Canada and read a tribute to his father at a memorial service at St Mary’s Church, Rye, attended by over 350 people including over thirty family members. The Izod family members present included distant great nephews and nieces, as well as an obligatory sprinkling of the Izod OAs. John was a serving town councillor in Rye, and formerly chairman of the town rugby club, the Bonfire Society, and the Rye Community Transport Service. He had also served on the Rye Arts Festival and Film Club committees. He was well-known as a convivial character, always painting and drawing and he was very popular in the town. He died rather unexpectedly of pneumonia with complications and his private family cremation was followed by the memorial service which brought the town to

a member of the Beckenham Amateur Dramatic Society, known as BADS. Initially, he was involved in the lighting of the productions and he met Hazel who made the costumes. David and Hazel married in September 1963 in Holy Trinity Church in Beckenham and set up home in West Wickham. They were married for 35 years until Hazel sadly passed away in 1999, but it was a very happy and successful marriage. In 1964, they had a daughter, Valerie, and their lives inevitably changed, as is the case with all parents. David was a wonderful father full of encouragement and support, and later on, he became a much loved grandfather to Valerie’s son and daughter, always proud of their various achievements. Apart from being where he met Hazel, BADS was a large part of David’s life for over fifty years, forming many long-standing friendships with other members, and demonstrating his versatility by designing and constructing stage sets, winning several awards as well as stage lighting. He later moved on to run the front of house operations, selling tickets and running the bar on occasions, and eventually became the Society’s Chairman. For over ten years, he enjoyed a special friendship with Heather and they went on many trips out for dinner and to the cinema. They also enjoyed holidays both in the UK and abroad including Canada and Sri Lanka. They took a railway tour across Switzerland, which allowed David to indulge his passion for trains, which had started at an early age. Unfortunately his model train collection remained in his loft and he was never able to build his dream railway layout. He also loved his home and garden, spending hours each day after retirement pottering in the immaculate garden.

a standstill. His younger brother Patrick (P.J.) contributed significantly to this obituary.

David Martin Lacey [1948-54] 16.07.1938 – 29.04.2015

David Lacey was born in Norwood, South London to Richard and Christine Lacey, and a younger

brother to John (46-51). Because of the outbreak of the Second World War, the family soon moved to David’s grandparents’ house in Braunton, Devon, remaining there for the duration of the war. David recalled clearly seeing American soldiers in their tanks in the local fields and they offered him chewing gum as they walked past. He also remembered his first day in the small village primary school. Eventually the family returned to Norwood and David was enrolled at Oakfield Prep School in Dulwich, moving from there to the College in 1948. At the College, he was in Marlowe, and it was here that he first became interested in art and design. After he left Dulwich, he went to the London School of Printing and Graphic Arts where he further developed these skills, and made many friends, including several life-long ones. After graduating, he joined Curwen Press, gaining experience with them for over ten years until leaving to set up his own printing firm with a group of colleagues. With much hard work and dedication, Masterprint became a highly successful business, which David ran until the age of 59, when he and the other partners all retired and sold the business. In retirement, he kept in touch with many of his business partners and former staff and spoke with fondness of the days when they all worked together. At the age of twenty, David became


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online