Alleyn Club Yearbook 2017

to Singapore. After commanding 94 Locating Regiment in Germany, and in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, he was promoted to become a full Colonel in 1975 to be the Project Manager for the final development and production of the 155mm FH70 Howitzer and its ammunition. The UK was the lead nation in this three nation programme and Alan was the lead International Project Manager. In 1978 he was promoted again to Brigadier and returned to RARDE, as the Senior Military Officer responsible for the many technical officers there, and to the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE). His final Army appointment was as the Defence Equipment Attache and Assistant Military Attache on the British Defence Staff in Washington, USA. He was key to the acquisition of the US Sidewinder Air-to-Air missile at the time of the Falklands War, which is widely believed to have been one of the key battle winners. It was in Washington in 1983, after thirty-five years in the Army, that Alan decided it was time to leave the Services and seek new challenges. He had many military and weapons contacts all around the globe, so he became a consultant and advisor. His main achievement in this phase of his career was to propose that another small part of the Multiple Launch Rocket system (MLRS) should be manufactured in the UK, persuade the US designers of the weapon, Dayron, to accept the business case for this change, and then establish a manufacturing facility in South Wales with a 35% grant from the Welsh Development Agency. He was proud of having provided work for 120 people in an area of high unemployment. The company made 3.5 million fuses for the MLRS weapons which were successfully used in the first Gulf War

in 1991. He also started a Dayron office in London, which became Valentec International. Alan retired from Valentec in 1990 but continued working as a Marketing Manager for Royal Ordnance and as a consultant to BAE systems before finally retiring completely in 1998. While playing bridge at a local bridge club while at Shrivenham, Alan met Marjorie’s mother and through her met Marjorie at their family home of Antwicks Manor in Letcombe Regis. Their courtship blossomed and they were married in the church at Letcombe Regis in 1956. Three daughters, Angela, Jenny, and Kate followed, and eventually by five grandchildren. In between all his consultancy work after 1983, Alan set about renovating Antwicks Manor. This was a major project on a large building with 13 bedrooms and included the addition of an indoor swimming pool, a new roof and two boilers. The gardens also needed an overhaul but eventually the restoration was complete and Alan and Marjorie were generous hosts at many events. Antwicks was a beautiful house but the physical energy required for its upkeep was immense at a time when Alan’s ankles were giving him trouble, so he and Marjorie took the difficult decision to downsize and moved to another lovely house in Mappowder, Dorset. But Mappowder was some distance from local services and shops so they moved again to Stourpaine four years ago. This lovely village was just what they were looking for, with a low-maintenance house and convenient for local services, so they were very happy here.

over the world, including England, Scotland, Cyprus, Australia and New Zealand. He also had many other interests, including motor cruising in his boat and watching sport. He had been a hurdler at Sandhurst, but in retirement was a passionate armchair supporter of England rugby and cricket. He was a long- time supporter of the Conservative Party, becoming chairman of the local association in Oxfordshire. Undeterred by his cancer diagnosis in 2014, he was always determined to achieve his next milestone, as well as to prove that ‘life goes on’. He greatly appreciated the service and care he received from his local GP practice and the Oncologists and other staff at the Harbour Hospital in Poole. He also had the endless support of Marjorie, who drove him to so many medical appointments and lovingly cared for him at home with the help of professional carers and the Marie Curie nurses. Alan is survived and missed by Marjorie, all three daughters and by five grandchildren. A eulogy was written and presented by Brigadier Chris Burson at Alan’s funeral, and this obituary is based on that eulogy.

Angus Robert Ritchie Wood [1991-98] 11.07.1980 – 24.08.2015

Angus was born in Westminster, London, to Sarah and Robert Wood. He grew up in Battersea,

as the youngest of three children with older sisters Anna and Henrietta. He attended St Peter’s Eaton Square CofE Primary School in Belgravia, where he became friends with Alex Fry and Dave Williams, the three boys all moving on to Dulwich College together, where Angus was in Drake.

Alan had a property portfolio and was always investing in more property all

After leaving Dulwich, Angus studied


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online