Alleyn Club Yearbook 2017

Paul Anthony John Woods [1956-63] 14.06.1945 – 13.06.2016 Tony Woods came to Dulwich from Rosemead Prep School, which was then in Atkins Road, near Clapham, with an LCC scholarship. At the College he was in Sidney and became active in drama and in the literary and debating societies. In 1963, he went to New College, Oxford, to read Jurisprudence. After graduating, he joined Slaughter and May as an articled clerk and continued working for the firm for three years after qualifying as a solicitor. Using his formidable energy and intellect, he became heavily involved in structuring transactions for the burgeoning Eurodollar market in order to meet both British and American regulatory banking requirements and in the process developed an enduring taste for resolving problems of conflict between different laws. Tony always enjoyed adventure and travel and soon decided to work abroad for a while. In 1972, he set off for Australia, taking eight months to reach it overland through Asia and subsequently requalifying there, joining the Sydney firm now known as Freehills. In late 1974, he returned to the United Kingdom, travelling overland across Africa, but was disappointed to discover that the employment market at home for lawyers was temporarily in the doldrums. He returned to Freehills for a further two years concentrating on the negotiation of overseas borrowing for mining companies.

Tony’s Oxford studies on the royal prerogative made him a useful sounding board for local lawyers involved in the Australian constitutional crisis of 1975, which resulted in the eventual dismissal of the Whitlam government. In 1977, he returned home again and joined the firm now known as Norton Rose, becoming a partner in 1980, specialising in corporate finance and particularly in mergers and acquisitions. In 1982, with his wife and young family, he moved to Singapore to open an office for the firm there in association with the local firm of Lee and Lee, which had been founded by Lee Kwan Yew. In 1985, Tony returned to the London office to lead a team working on privatisation projects, involving water, electricity and port companies. He married Louise in 1979 and they produced a daughter, Eleanor and a son, Richard. Tony retired in 1994 after becoming financially secure and became heavily involved in researching the history of Italian resistance during the Second World War, which was inspired by his father’s own experiences as a partisan following his escape from a prisoner of war camp. This in turn led to Tony becoming a trustee of the Monte San Martino Trust, a charity set up by prisoners-of-war to fund educational bursaries for the grandchildren of the Italians who had helped them while they were on the run. This in turn led to a literary career, when Tony embarked on his first novel entitled “Wolf on the Mountain” based on his Italian wartime research

and his father’s exploits. It was published in 2007 under his nom de plume Anthony Paul and was followed by his second novel “John Doe”, a satire on lawyers and hippies, which was published in 2010. Tony’s other great passions were cricket and rugby, which he played for the Old Alleynians. He later took up rugby refereeing, officiating in the semi-finals and finals at the Singapore sevens. On his return home he joined the London Society of Referees, where he advanced to the intermediate level. He also became a member of the MCC. Louise helped Tony throughout most of his adult life, but she sadly died in October 2012. He is survived by his daughter Eleanor and son Richard.

We have also been notified of the passing of the following OAs and former staff members for whom we are awaiting further information to complete their obituary:- If you would like to contribute to any of the above obituaries, please send your contributions to: Mr Jim Bush, Hon. Obituarist, c/o The Alleyn Club, Dulwich College, Dulwich Common, London SE21 7LD

or via

alleynclub @


Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online