These Were Builders


The "building dedicated to Gertrude M. Bacon is one of the four original buildings erected on the new campus in 1928. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place on November 7 , 1928 and impressive services of a state and civic nature saw the laying of the cornerstone on October 9, 1929- In January 1931, it was occupied for the first time and became the Practice School of the State College for Teachers. Later, it was called the Campus School. A detailed account of the above ceremonies can be found under Rockwell Hall. The Practice School was ftrnished with the latest equipment and materials needed as a laboratory for future teachers and soon became z well known for the fine work done there in observation and practice teaching. During the special Dedication Week 1963, "the campus school was officially dedicated to a former devoted teacher, Gertrude M. Bacon. In 1967, when the new campus school was greeted, complete renova tion of Bacon Hall began. On February 2, 1972, Dr. William L. Smith, educator with the U.S. Office of Education, addressed a group of Buffalo State faculty members and administrators. This simple ceremony marked the end of the massive remodeling project of the forty-two year old structure. According to Dr. Smith, "a teacher of the I98O's will be a facilitator of a process. Educators will have new instructional

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker