These Were Builders

Bishop Hall

In the latter part of 1953, the College Student Association, College Housing Committee, and the Student Personnel recommended that the residence hall slated for completion in September, 1959 be used to house male students. When the College Cabinet endorsed this recommendation, acting President Horn announced that the first male dormitory on campus would be established. The cornerstone ceremony for this building took place April 30, 1959- The honored guest was Governor Rockefeller. "Within the next fifteen years," the governor told the students, faculty members, and guests present, "it is estimated that the college population will be doubled." "We must be ready for that tidal wave of young people, ready with facilities and prepared to give them the kind and quality of education they will need. We cannot and must not fail them. " Acting President Horn extended greetings on the muday terrain when the men's residence was going up. The hall was ready for occupancy in September, 1959> and 196 male students moved in. During the special Dedication Week, April 1933, this residence Hall was formally dedicated to the memory of Irving Prescott Bishop, beloved science teacher, friend, and counselor. Mr. Bishop's daughter living in California was unable to attend. Miss Elizabeth Bishop sent a letter thanking the college for the tribute paid her father. The hall is now used as office for administration and faculty.

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker