These Were Builders

Edward H. Butler 1850 - 1914

From the time he moved to Buffalo in 1873 to his death, March 9, 1914, the name Edward H. Butler was synonymous with loyalty and support to the institution later known as State University College at Buffalo. After his death, Edward H. Butler, Jr. continued the fine work begun by his father and served on the Board of Directors of the college from 1914 1 to the time of his death in 19%. In turn, Mrs. Bruce R. Wallis replaced her father later on the board and still continues to take active part in all the affairs of the college. The Butler family has truly played a most important role in the development of the college. Edward Herbert Butler served on the Board of Directors from 19O2-191h and was president of this governing body the last three years of his life. At every important activity, he was present to show his interest and concern for the school. He watched it grow from a two- year normal school to a larger one which showed potential of a groat educational service to the community. He supported Dr. Upton in his quest for a new building, and it was his great pleasure to be present on October 9, 1913, to place the cornerstone in the new building erected to house the Normal School. Later, when the Normal School moved to a new location on Elmwood Avenue, the original building was renovated and became Grover Cleveland High School. Mr. Butler, founder of the Buffalo Evening News and Buffalo Sunday News, was bom in LeRoy, New York in 18%. After attending public and private schools, he worked first on the LeRoy Gazette, later on the Scranton Times as City editor, and still later as city editor

1. The former Mrs. James H. Righter became Mrs. Bruce R, Wallis in 1973 and is referred to by that name throughout this booklet.

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker