These Were Builders

Cassety Hall

When the State College moved to its new location on ELwood Avenue, President Rockwell realized that for any institution to grow, it must provide, among other things, dormitory space for students who did not reside in the Buffalo area. He worked dili ­ gently at this project for years but was unable to realize his dream immediately because of the depression of the thirties and World War II which followed shortly. In 1944, the Legislature passed an act which authorized the creation of the State Dormitory Authority. Due to the war, the state was unable to erect any permanent residence halls, but in 19^8, the Legislature was able to appropriate funds for permanent dormitory construction. In 19U5, the city of Buffalo transferred thirty-five additional acres adjoining the campus to the State College. The first women' 3 residence hall was built on part of this new tract of land. In 19^7, a temporary prefabricated building was constructed to house 120 women students and was ready for occupancy, September, 19^8. This dormitory was called Pioneer Hall. Groundbreaking ceremony for the permanent structure took place December 6, 19^-8. Flourishing a chromium-plated shovel, President Harry W. Rockwell officially broke ground to signify the start of construction of the first permanent dormitories in the state system. John Urban, science professor, representing the faculty; Donald Brossman, president of the Alumni Association; and George Rentsch, president of the Student Council extended greetings to the

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker