These Were Builders

At that time, Mr. Ketchum, O.G. Steele, Judge Clinton and others strongly urged those present to take immediate steps for securing the locations of a normal school at Buffalo. Mr. Ketchum,called "the friend of the children", at that time offered to the city five and a half acres of his land as a school site. This "hay field" was at the extreme city line. He gave not only his land for a school hut also the property on which Westminster Church was built. A petition presented by Judge Clinton and signed by the citi ­ zens was sent to Mayor Sogers and the Common Council to ask for aid to secure appropriations for a school building on this site. In April 1867, a hill authorizing the location of a school in Buffalo became law. A sum of forty-five thousand dollars was appropriated by Erie County and subsequently by the city of Buffalo, for the erection of a building. Jesse Ketchum died September 7, 1867 before he saw his dream realized. The cornerstone of the first Buffalo Normal School was laid on April 17, 1869. The site was on a block bounded by Jersey, Fourteenth, York, and Thirteenth. Upon that site, the State University College was founded. It bore two names and was housed in too buildings. In the latter part of the 1920's, it was obvious that the site had been outgrown, and after due process, the college moved to its present location on Elmwood Avenue. Mr. Ketchum left a fund of thirty thousand dollars, the interest of which was to be used in furthering education by giving gold and

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker