These Were Builders

John Joseph Albright 18U8-1931

Any city of repute can trace its particular place in history to certain leaders in its civic life who had vision, wisdom, and a keen sense of financial acumen, as well as courage to take risks in face of overwhelming odds. To Buffalo, John Joseph Albright is one such man. A genius at finance, a patron of the arts, and a generous donor of public gifts, Mr. Albright has been referred to as a man to whom the city owes much of its educational and industrial development. For almost three quarters of a century, Mr. Albright had been one of the foremost leaders of both the industrial and social life of Buffalo. Born in Buchanan, Virginia in 18U8, the son of Joseph Jacob Albright and Elizabeth Sellers Albright, both Pennsylvanians, Mr. Al ­ bright moved with his family to Scranton and was educated in the public schools of that city. Later, he studied at Williston Academy, East Hampton, Mass, and then entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy from which he graduated in 1868. After graduation, he went into the coal business in Lewiston, Pa. In 1872, he married Harriet Langdon in Harrisburg, and shortly afterwards moved to Washington, B.G., where three children were born to the couple: Raymond K., Ruuh (Mrs. Evan Hollister) and Langdon. In 1883, the growth of his coal trade caused him to move to Buffalo where he had his home until his death, August 20, 1931* His wife died in 1893. In 1897, he married Susan Fuller of Lancaster, Mass. She died in 1928. They had five children:

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker