These Were Builders

Perry Hall

The L shaped women's dormitory originally called West Hall was erected during 1957-58 • It wa -s the dormitory quadrangle north of Rockwell Road. Occupied "by coeds in the fall of 1958, it was not until April 30, 1959 that the residence hall was officially dedicated. Accord ­ ing to an item in Record October 22, 1958, there was planned a cornerstone ceremony in conjunction with American Education Week, but this ceremony was delayed until April of the following year. The cornerstone was placed into position by Mrs. Bruce R. Wallis, chairman of the college's Local Council. She continued the tradition of her grandfather E.H. Butler and her father E.H. Butler, Jr. both having served the college as chairman of the council. Dr. Ralph Horn, acting President of the college accepted the keys for the hall presented by James W. Kideney, architect for the building. Kathryn Frey, President of the Women's Residence Hall, presented scissors to Governor Rockefeller who was guest of honor. He cut the ribbon crossing the main door of West Hall, a symbol of the formal opening of the hall. On the same day, the cornerstone was placed in the building now knovm as Bishop Hall. This dedication was the first important event since Butler Library was dedicated in 195O» During the Special Dedication Week, April 19o3, West Hall was formally dedicated to the memory of May Louise Perry (Cooke) a former teacher and loyal alumna.

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker