These Were Builders

County, named for his family which had operated a woolen mill there for many years. He earned a "bachelor of arts degree with Fni Beta Kappa honors from Brown University in 1503. After teaching or holding various positions at Peddie Institute, Hightstown, New Jersey and in Gilbertsville, Oneonta, and White Plains, he accepted the principalship at the old Normal School. On March' 27, 1919? he was officially installed and the school building, erected and used since 191^, was formally dedicated. At that time, it was thought to be adequate for "50 years to come." Within a very short time, the enrollment and curriculum had outgrown the 3l/2 acre campus on lkth Street. An unusual business transaction took place to meet the crisis. The city agreed to accept the Normal School building and land. In exchange, the state received a tract of land on Elmwood Avenue, opposite the Albright Art Gallery, to build a new school. In a decade, Dr. Rockwell became the head of a five building unit on a 20 acre campus. In 1928, the Board of Regents granted the request of Mr. Butler, and the school was named State Teachers College at Buffalo. Dr. Harry W. Rockwell had become president of a college. In November, 1928, groundbreaking ceremonies occurred, and on Oct. 9, 1929, the cornerstone was laid in the administration build ­ ing. It wasn't until January 12, 1931 that Dr. Rockwell led the faculty and students in an almost triumphal procession to the new buildings.

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker