with gay streamers, and many spectators smiled and waved as the young people marched toward their destination - their new school. Following the invocation by Rev. Samuel V.V. Holmes, Commissioner George F. Fisk made a formal announcement of completion of construc tion of the group of buildings and presented the keys to Edward H. Butler, president of the Local 3oard. There were many distinguished guests present. Messages of con gratulations were read from Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt and Dr. Frank P. Graves, state commissioner of education. Harry W. Rockwell, president of the college presided. The school orchestra and chorus contributed to the ceremonies. The day's program was climaxed by a house-warming dance in the gymnasium. For several years, the administration building housed offices, library faculty room^ classrooms, and other services as well as the main auditorium. In 1952, the library moved into its own building, and the vacated area became the Burchfield Center. In March 19^1, shortly after the death of Dr. Rockwell, a special convocation was held in his honor. Before that day, the administration building was dedicated to his memory, and tall letters were placed above the graceful columns of the front entrance to Rockwell Hall.
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker