These Were Builders

departments had been created: the home-making vocational and the industrial vocational. With the help of Edward H. Butler and Senator Henry W. Hili, legal supporters of the school, efforts were successful and the results gave Buffalo one of the finest school buildings in the country - the present Grover Cleveland High School. The cornerstone for this building was laid October 9> 1913 by the Honorable E.H. Butler, President of the local Board of Directors. In September 19lU sessions began in the new building. In 1916, Public School 38 was taken for additional practice teaching facilities. Night school classes for skilled mechanics began in 1912, and in 1917 the first summer session began. In the midst of the second summer session, July 27, 1918, Dr. Upton died suddenly. During the previous school session, the Normal School had a faculty of forty members, a normal school department of 5GQ students, and a school of practice of 100 children. In 1912, the first volume of the school yearbook Elms was published. It was dedicated to Principal Daniel Upton. Senator W. Hill paid this tribute to Dr. Upton: "Dr. Upton was broad in his sympathies, generous in his im ­ pulses and magnanimous in his conduct toward his associates in all fields of endeavor in which he was engaged. He was a man of high ideals and was actuated by lofty purposes. His loss will be deplored, by' the educational world as well as by the citizens of Buffalo and especially by those who have been brought into close contact with

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker