These Were Builders


John Joseph Albright Albright Hall

Gertrude M. Bacon Bacon Hall

Irving Prescott Bishop Bishop Hall

Edward. H. Butler Butler Library

Louise M. Cassety Cassety Hall

Myrtle Viola Caudell Caudell Hall

Susan Frances Chase Chase Hall

Grover Cleveland Cleveland Hall

Jesse Ketchum Ketchum Hall

Adelbert Moot Moot Hall

George Bradford Neumann Neumann Hall

May Louise Perry Perry Hall

Dr. Harry W. Rockwell Rockwell Hall

Daniel Sherman Upton Upton Hall

Dr. Paul J. Weigel Weigel Health Center

John Joseph Albright 18U8-1931

Any city of repute can trace its particular place in history to certain leaders in its civic life who had vision, wisdom, and a keen sense of financial acumen, as well as courage to take risks in face of overwhelming odds. To Buffalo, John Joseph Albright is one such man. A genius at finance, a patron of the arts, and a generous donor of public gifts, Mr. Albright has been referred to as a man to whom the city owes much of its educational and industrial development. For almost three quarters of a century, Mr. Albright had been one of the foremost leaders of both the industrial and social life of Buffalo. Born in Buchanan, Virginia in 18U8, the son of Joseph Jacob Albright and Elizabeth Sellers Albright, both Pennsylvanians, Mr. Al ­ bright moved with his family to Scranton and was educated in the public schools of that city. Later, he studied at Williston Academy, East Hampton, Mass, and then entered Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute at Troy from which he graduated in 1868. After graduation, he went into the coal business in Lewiston, Pa. In 1872, he married Harriet Langdon in Harrisburg, and shortly afterwards moved to Washington, B.G., where three children were born to the couple: Raymond K., Ruuh (Mrs. Evan Hollister) and Langdon. In 1883, the growth of his coal trade caused him to move to Buffalo where he had his home until his death, August 20, 1931* His wife died in 1893. In 1897, he married Susan Fuller of Lancaster, Mass. She died in 1928. They had five children:

John Joseph Jr. , Elizabeth (Mrs. Leston Faneuf) , Puller, Nancy (Mrs. Lawrence Hurd.) and Susan (Mrs. Robert L. Reed) . Water power generation of electricity and its distribution throughout New York State was one of the first and most important enterprises of Mr. Albright in Buffalo. In 1896, the first tendrils of electricity reached the city. Mr. Albright became more and more involved in this activity and is a giant among the leaders and promoters of electric power. Realizing Buffalo's need of a place to exhibit masterpieces of art, both painting and sculpture, as well as providing a place to show the works of local artists, Mr. Albright presented to the city the beautiful building bearing his name in Delaware Park. It was completed in 1902 at the cost of more than a million dollars. In 1929, he was awarded the Chancellor's Medal from the University of Buffalo. The following is a quote from the presentation of the award: "The Council awards the Chancellor's Medal to John Joseph Albright, dauntless promoter of Buffalo's industrial development, generous contributor to in ­ stitutions of welfare and learning, donor of the Albright Art Gallery, exemplar of Buffalo's highest standards of civic responsibility and of unpretentious social conduct, who has created for his city's fame more than one lasting monument and who not only through these foundations but also through a long life of simple greatness has 'dignified Buffalo in the eyes of the world.'"

Albright HaU

Albright Hall itself has quite a history as does the man after whom the building is named. Located at 1231 Elmwood diagonally across from Rockwell Hall, it was erected in 1920 by the city of Buffalo to house the Buffalo Museum of Science which had been in the Buffalo Public Library for many years. After a public referundum, the museum was moved to a new site. On October 17, 1926, the cornerstone was placed in a new building on Humboldt Parkway. After the Museum of Science moved October 1, 1928, Charles Clifton, an executive of Pierce Arrow and president of Buffalo Fine Arts Academy, purchased the building known as Old Elmwood Museum and presented it to the art gallery for use as its art school. Upon his death in late 1928, the building was completely remodeled due to the generosity of his widow. On November 9, 1929, at a meeting of the Board of Trustees, the building was officially named Clifton Hall which then opened for classes. In 19 oh, the art school was offered to the Buffalo Consistory for sale. Later, however, the Consistory dropped the option, and in August, 19£5, the art school merged with the University of Buffalo. The building was then named Albright Hall. This action posed problems for the College of Education, as art classes had been held in conjunction with the art school. The college art classes moved to the President's House, vacated since the resignation of President Rice. Tr. July 19£8, the College of Education purchased the Albright Art building .. ’ rom the University of Buffalo, and art classes resumed there,

September 19f>9.

In 1963, when Upton Hall was ready for occupancy, the art department

moved there.

The music department now occupies Albright Hall.

Gertrude M. Bacon 1866-1937

"Gertrude M. Bacon, who contributed more than fifty years of service to our college . . . The loyalty that she displayed cannot be duplicated by her successors — it can only be aspired to. In her passing we have lost a great teacher, one whose life was in her work, and who felt and radiated an unsurpassed devotion to Buffalo State Normal School and to Buffalo State Teachers College."

Such was the tribute paid to Miss Bacon by the editors of El ms , 1937. Miss Bacon was born October 8, 1866 in Elma, New York. Her parents were Hiram Bacon and Mary A. Hurd Bacon. Later, the family moved to North Tonawanda, and Miss Bacon graduated from the Buffalo Normal School in 1886, and after one semester in the North Tonawanda schools, she joined the faculty of her Alma Mater, January, 1887. She served first as critic teacher, was promoted to principal of the School of Practice, then head of the critic and methods teachers. Subse ­ quently, she was appointed superintendent of practice teaching and finally professor of elementary education. Miss Bacon held that "teaching is a great profession, one of the finest in the world." Among her affiliations were those in the New York State Teachers Association, American Association of University Women, Foreign Policy Association, Kappa Delta Pi, Sigma, Sigma, Sigma Society, and the Twentieth Century Club. She received degrees of bachelor of science and master of arts from the University of Buffalo and had also studied at Columbia University and the University of Chicago. When she retired in 1936 she held the position of

Associate Director of Training. Kiss Bacon died September 27, 1937. Paying a sincere tribute to her Dr. Rockwell said:

"No individual on this staff ever rendered so long and continuous a service to the Buffalo State Normal School and Buffalo State Teachers College as has Kiss Bacon. As student and teacher she was associated with her Alma Kater for years. She graduated in 1886 from the Buffalo State Normal School and became a seventh and eighth grade critic in 1887. Hers is an outstanding example of devoted service to a great cause. Generations of Normal School and College students will always think of

her as one who maintained with vigor and dignity the highest professional ideals. She kept abreast of the best in education and thousands of teachers can testify to the value of her instruction and example. Her loyalty to her Alma Kater; her devotion to her friends; her gracious hospitality, will endure in the memory of all who were associated with her." In 1921, the students dedicated the yearbook Elms to her in appreciation for her teaching, guidance, and friendship. Hiss Bacon had started her teaching career in the original Normal School, had moved with other faculty members to the newer building now known as Cleveland High School in 1913, and experienced the joy of moving to the new campus in '1931. Little did she know that the new building in which she worked would one day bear her name as a lasting testimony to her life of service to future teachers.


The "building dedicated to Gertrude M. Bacon is one of the four original buildings erected on the new campus in 1928. Groundbreaking ceremonies took place on November 7 , 1928 and impressive services of a state and civic nature saw the laying of the cornerstone on October 9, 1929- In January 1931, it was occupied for the first time and became the Practice School of the State College for Teachers. Later, it was called the Campus School. A detailed account of the above ceremonies can be found under Rockwell Hall. The Practice School was ftrnished with the latest equipment and materials needed as a laboratory for future teachers and soon became z well known for the fine work done there in observation and practice teaching. During the special Dedication Week 1963, "the campus school was officially dedicated to a former devoted teacher, Gertrude M. Bacon. In 1967, when the new campus school was greeted, complete renova tion of Bacon Hall began. On February 2, 1972, Dr. William L. Smith, educator with the U.S. Office of Education, addressed a group of Buffalo State faculty members and administrators. This simple ceremony marked the end of the massive remodeling project of the forty-two year old structure. According to Dr. Smith, "a teacher of the I98O's will be a facilitator of a process. Educators will have new instructional

resources which they will he implementing in their task."

The building is designed for the use of Professional Studies Division.

I rving Prescott Bishop

Irving Prescott Bishop 18U9-1913

During his twenty-fifth year of teaching at Buffalo State Normal School, a popular science teacher Irving Prescott Bishop died in Burlington Flats on April 1913. Mr. Bishop was born in Burlington Flats Nov. 18, I8h9. He received his education from an academy in New Berlin, New York and later graduated from Cornell University. After a course at Alfred University, he earned a degree of master of science. In 18?3, Mr. Bishop married Julia W. Allen. The couple had two children, Elizabeth L. and Roy Allen. That same year, he was appointed principal of the New Berlin Academy and served two years. In 1878, he went to the Union School in Perry, New York and served as principal until 168>. For the next three years, he was principal of the Free Academy in Chatham, New York and was also a teacher of science in the Round Lake Summer Schools during 1886 and 1887. He was appointed teacher of sciences in the Buffalo State Normal School in 1888, and served in that capacity until December, 1912. At that time, he became ill and retired from active teaching. Mr. Bishop had had charge of the science work in the "State Summer Institute" since 1896. He was president of the New York State Institute" since 1896. He was president of the New York State Science Teachers Association in 1903. During his career, he published several books, the most widely known being, "Salt Fields of Western New York," "Geology of Erie County, New York," "Petroleum and Natural Gas in Western New York," "Red Book of Niagara," "Methods and Outlines for Teaching Physiology,"

and "Economic Geology of Western New York."


Only two days after his death, the State Legislature approp ­ riated money for a new Normal School building. He did not live to see the laying of the cornerstone for the new school October 9, 1913. Hr. Bishop was very fond of his students, and this was shown in many w ays. He took a personal interest in all their activities and even donated personal funds to the student publication, "Normal Thought" to show his support. In fact, he was so generous that among the students, he became known as their "patron saint."

Bishop Hall

In the latter part of 1953, the College Student Association, College Housing Committee, and the Student Personnel recommended that the residence hall slated for completion in September, 1959 be used to house male students. When the College Cabinet endorsed this recommendation, acting President Horn announced that the first male dormitory on campus would be established. The cornerstone ceremony for this building took place April 30, 1959- The honored guest was Governor Rockefeller. "Within the next fifteen years," the governor told the students, faculty members, and guests present, "it is estimated that the college population will be doubled." "We must be ready for that tidal wave of young people, ready with facilities and prepared to give them the kind and quality of education they will need. We cannot and must not fail them. " Acting President Horn extended greetings on the muday terrain when the men's residence was going up. The hall was ready for occupancy in September, 1959> and 196 male students moved in. During the special Dedication Week, April 1933, this residence Hall was formally dedicated to the memory of Irving Prescott Bishop, beloved science teacher, friend, and counselor. Mr. Bishop's daughter living in California was unable to attend. Miss Elizabeth Bishop sent a letter thanking the college for the tribute paid her father. The hall is now used as office for administration and faculty.

Edward H. Butler 1850 - 1914

From the time he moved to Buffalo in 1873 to his death, March 9, 1914, the name Edward H. Butler was synonymous with loyalty and support to the institution later known as State University College at Buffalo. After his death, Edward H. Butler, Jr. continued the fine work begun by his father and served on the Board of Directors of the college from 1914 1 to the time of his death in 19%. In turn, Mrs. Bruce R. Wallis replaced her father later on the board and still continues to take active part in all the affairs of the college. The Butler family has truly played a most important role in the development of the college. Edward Herbert Butler served on the Board of Directors from 19O2-191h and was president of this governing body the last three years of his life. At every important activity, he was present to show his interest and concern for the school. He watched it grow from a two- year normal school to a larger one which showed potential of a groat educational service to the community. He supported Dr. Upton in his quest for a new building, and it was his great pleasure to be present on October 9, 1913, to place the cornerstone in the new building erected to house the Normal School. Later, when the Normal School moved to a new location on Elmwood Avenue, the original building was renovated and became Grover Cleveland High School. Mr. Butler, founder of the Buffalo Evening News and Buffalo Sunday News, was bom in LeRoy, New York in 18%. After attending public and private schools, he worked first on the LeRoy Gazette, later on the Scranton Times as City editor, and still later as city editor

1. The former Mrs. James H. Righter became Mrs. Bruce R, Wallis in 1973 and is referred to by that name throughout this booklet.

with financial interest in the Scranton Free Press. In 1873, at the age of twenty-three, he established his hone in Buffalo, where he remained until his death. His first venture into the publishing field involved the Sunday News which was enlarged twice before the establishment of the daily news. In 1879, he founded the Bradford Sunday News which he owned for four years then sold in order to devote full time to the Buffalo Evening News established in 1880. He was deeply involved in numerous civic affairs, actively backed the platform of the Republican Party, and he developed his newspaper to merit a place among the giants in the publishing world. Mr. Butler was married to Mary E. Barber of West Pittston, the daughter of Major William D. Barber. They had four children. Only two survived their parents: Edward H. Butler, Jr. and Ada (Mrs. Roscoe R. Mitchell). Mrs. Butler died in 1893. On December 21, 1919, a life-size oil portrait of Mr. Butler was unveiled in the Normal School auditorium. It was unveiled by his grand ­ daughter, Marjorie Mitchell, daughter of M J? o cLXlQ Mrs. Roscoe R. Mitchell. The portrait of Mr. Butler was painted by J. Merritt Malloney, a well known artist of Toronto, Ontario. It was hung in the Normal School library until the new library was erected in 1991. kt that time, it was moved to the new location where it is today. As a tribute to the memory of so generous a benefactor, the editors of Elms , the Normal School yearbook, dedicated the 191U volume to Mr. Butler. "To the late Edward H. Butler, for many years president of the Local Board of Managers of the Buffalo State Normal School, this volume is dedicated as a token of the high esteem in which he was held by all connected with the school.

"Although carrying the burdens of great enterprises he gave cheerfully of his time, energy and resources to further every undertaking which was for the best inter ests of the institution, and his assistance was ever at the command of any student whose cause was worthy. "Having by his own energy and ability placed himself in a pre-eminent position in the affairs of the state and nation, he retained throughout his life so strong an instinct of kindliness that no cry of distress went unanswered. His bounteous charities were always be ­ stowed as a friend and never as a patron. "Mr. Butler was a staunch friend, a wise counsellor, a valued citizen, and the Board of Editors of THE EL M S feels that it honors itself in paying him this tribute."

Edward K. Butler Library

In May 1950, ground was broken for a library building at the State Teachers College. At that time, the library was housed on the second floor of the Administration Building but had long outgrown the space for it. In a dual ceremony on October 27, 1950, Governor Thomas E. Dewey paid tribute to Mr. Edward H. Butler, editor and publisher of the Buffalo Evening News and president of the Local Council, when he and Mr. Butler officiated at the laying of the cornerstone for the new library. Governor Dewey asked, "Why docs Ed Butler come here and hold meetings, why does he work and fight and do everything in his power to advance this college?" The governor then reviewed the fine work Mr. Butler and his father had done for the growth and development of the college. Mr. Butler laid the huge granite cornerstone in the presence of more than two thousand spectators who represented the student body, the college administration, the city, county and state, and various specialized fieldsof endeavor. He used the silver trowel with which he or his father laid the cornerstones of four other buildings of the college. Amid humorous exchanges as to the relative proficiency of Mr. Butler and the governor as stonemasons, Mr. Butler lifted the first mortar to the 1500-pound block. Then he handed the trowel to Governor Dewey, who added the cement. At the request of Dr. Rockwell, college president, the governor offered the trowel to Mrs.Butler. She in turn passed it to Mrs. Bruce R. Wallis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Butler.

Addressing the assembly, Mr. Butler remarked," It is a happy moment for

■me to lay the cornerstone of the building, and I feel great pride because the library is to carry on the name of my revered father who, as president of the Local Board of the old Normal School, gave generously of his time and devotion through many years." Dr. Rockwell told the audience that the ceremonies were the most important in the history of the college since 1931, when five buildings were dedicated in one day. "The laying of the cornerstone of the new Edward H. Butler Library marks the dawning of a new epoch in our cultural and intellectual life, " he asserted. "It is gratifying indeed that this new library provides the additional opportunity for the perpetuation of a name which has meant more to the development of our college than any other. "Mr. Edward H. Butler Sr and Mr. Edward H. Butler, the present president of the Local Council, have together served as president for more than half a century. "In no instance in the annals of our state history has one family made such a conspicuous contribution extending over so long a period in favor of any educational institution in the state of New York." On the same dpy that Dr. Harvey M. Rice was inaugurated as president of the State College, May 16, 1952, the library was formally dedicated to the memory of Edward H. Butler. The dedication at noon in the cross-shaped library was attended by more than seven hundred faculty members and students as well as special guests.

They crowded behind the glass walls of the main reading and period ­ icals room. Mr. Butler stood in the central charging room and told over a loud- speaker sys- ,m how his father became interested in the college book collection. The elder Mr. Butler, a Local Board member twenty years saw "the need for better library resources and willed the library a bequest which has added greatly to the reference and art collection, " he noted. In turning over the keys to the library, Dr. Hermann Cooper, executive dean for teacher education in the State University, noted that " the library is named after a great family. Great families have made this land what it is," he said. "Great families have always served the highest ideals and concepts of service in America. " "We believe that the library is the heart of the college, " Dr. Rice declared. "In accepting this building with all the potentialities which it offers we recognize our responsibilities and obligations to make our college program one which will be commensurate with all these splendid facilities." Miss Frances G. Hepinstall, college librarian who helped plan the new building, greeted the guests in the library. It was she who super ­ vised the two thousand students when they spent one entire day moving books by hand from the old one-room library in the administration building to the new structure. "A blessed librarian who believes that books are in the library to be used", is the description Dr. Rice gave of Miss Hepinstall. Dr. Harry W. Rockwell, president emeritus of the college, also spoke on this occasion

Within a few years, the library holdings outgrew the facilities, and a much larger building was needed. Appropriations were made to enlarge the original library, and construction began in August 1966. To fully appreciate the difficulties attendant to the construction, one should talk with any staff member who worked in the library during those chaotic years. Many problems developed because the library remained open and tried to give servj.ce while construction was going on- all around, above and below, inside and out o The first, day of groundbreaking gives an idea of the usual unusual incidents which took place over a period of about three years. For several months, the staff had requested that the huge windows of the building be cleaned. They had been dirt-coated for years. Finally, with special equipment, the outside world could be viewed through clear windows, and the staff and patrons rejoiced, but not for long. Almost immediately, a huge pile-driver appeared on the scene and began to drive piles deep into the earth all around the building. As it moved, it ejected an oily substance. Result? Dirty windows! This was besides the jarring to which one was subjected to inside the building. The library staff was shifted from big rooms to little ones, up ­ stairs and back down, from pillar to post with the added trials of leaking roofs, no plumbing facilities, cement dust, and construction fumes and noise During one winter, the only protection from the outside in one area was a temporary wall of beaverboard. Staff members in that section wore coats, hats, and boots to keep warm. There was no shelving in the temporary workrooms, so all the library periodicals were stacked on the floor. Back runs in fifty-two boxes were unavailable to patrons. To relieve the tension, amusing incidents offered some laughter and


helped the staff to see the funny side of what could have been traumatic experiences. The temporary wall in the staff room recorded some funny captions, such as, "Keep off the grounds", posted behind the coffee pot. One day a maintenance worker was asked to move a library range from one room to another one. He appeared in the designated room, looked around, left, and went to the staff room two doors down, where there was a stove "But this isn't the room the range is supposed to be moved from," he commented,. One of the clerks overheard the remark, knew of the proposed move, and hurredlj told him that a range was not a stove but library shelving. It was with a sigh of relief and exhaustion that the final move was made in August 1969. In an imoressive ceremony including speeches, nresentation of keys, a tree planting, and a recention, the new library was officially dedicated on April lb, 1970. The large building retains the name of its predecessor, Edward H. Butler Library. At the dedication Mrs. Bruce R. Wallis, granddaughter of Mr. Butler and president of the Local Council, presented keys of the new building to Dr. L. E. Palmieri, director of tne library. Dr. Palmieri then passed the keys on to the students, represented by .. ’ illj am Bird, president of the College Student Association and Miss Patrie? Leonard, president of Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society. On behalf of the students, Miss Leonard thanked the Butlers for three generations of service to the school and the library, and also the the school's facilities and administrator. Congratulatory telegrams from Governor Rockefeller and Senator Charles Goodell were also read.

Dr. Stephen K. Bailey, a member of the Boars of Regents and its committee on library services, received the President's Distinguished Service Award from Dr. E. K. Fretwell, college president. "Our admiration for you is rooted in the academic trinity- teacher, scholar, and administrator," said Dr. Fretwell in presenting the award. Dr. Bailey, the principal speaker at the afternoon ceremony held in the library foyer, said," Libraries are not mausoleums. They are living expressions of human knowledge and wisdom from all times and . They not only symbolize, they are the intellectual base of all civilized existence They are, of course, the beating heart of all intellectual and educational institutions. " In a concluding ceremony, Mrs. Edward H. Butler, president of the Buffalo Evening News and wife of the News founder's son; Mrs. Wallis, her daughter, and Miss Kate Butler Righter, her granddaughter planted a linden tree east of the library in memory of the first Mr. Butler. The library was the first building on campus to be named in memory of a nerson

Louise M. Cassety 1873-1931

Daughter of Dr. Janes M. Cassety, scholar, teacher, and principal of the Buffalo Normal School 1886-1909, Louise M Cassety followed in her father's footsteps as a dedicated teacher who loved children and inspired her pupils with enthusiasm and pride in the teaching profession. Kiss Cassety was horn in Fredonia, New York, January 3, 1873, daughter of James M. Cassety and Catherine M. Packard. After graduation from Normal School, she joined its faculty as an assistant in the Kindergarten Department in 1898 and wiuuin a short time became principal of that department. She graduated from Teachers College in 1905. From 1922-1927, she directed the Kindergarten-Primary Training Department. During her tenure at the Normal School, Louise Margaret Cassety saw many changes and rapid progress in the curriculum, especially in the field of elementary education. Cn October 9, 1913, she witnessed E.H. Butler laying the cornerstone for the new building to house the Normal School and *heard read the letter written by her father who had retired as principal in 1909 and could not be present on that important occasion. She worked under Dr. Upton and Dr. Rockwell, two men of great stature in the development of the school 0 She worked with others to advance the education program and saw it develop from a two-year to a three-year curriculum. Later, she rejoiced with other faculty members when in May, 1929, regents approved establishment of a four year General Elementary curriculum and in June, 1926, when regents authorized a degree of Bachelor of Science Elementary curriculum.

At this time, Miss Cassety retired because of ill health from teaching. She followed with interest the progress of the school which shortly officially became New York State College for Teachers at Buffalo. The editors of Elms , student yearbook, dedicatee the 1928 volume in her honor. Louise M. Cassety died February l£, 1931, the year the college moved to the new location on Elmwood Avenue. Besides her intense interest in educational activities, Miss Cassety had many other interests. During the early years of the Studio School of the Theatre, she helped further community support of Miss Jane Keeler's .work. She had a hobby of dressing dolls and making small attractive gifts for young children. During World War I, she was faithful in sewing clothes for Belgian children, and during her last years, she made many layettes for babies of needy mothers in Buffalo. Often, her generosity caused her friends to remind her that she carried her labor cf love far beyond the limits of her physical capacity and endurance. She possessed a keen sense of humor, boundless energy, well- balanced judgment and genuine devotion to her profession and her fellowmen

Cassety Hall

When the State College moved to its new location on ELwood Avenue, President Rockwell realized that for any institution to grow, it must provide, among other things, dormitory space for students who did not reside in the Buffalo area. He worked dili ­ gently at this project for years but was unable to realize his dream immediately because of the depression of the thirties and World War II which followed shortly. In 1944, the Legislature passed an act which authorized the creation of the State Dormitory Authority. Due to the war, the state was unable to erect any permanent residence halls, but in 19^8, the Legislature was able to appropriate funds for permanent dormitory construction. In 19U5, the city of Buffalo transferred thirty-five additional acres adjoining the campus to the State College. The first women' 3 residence hall was built on part of this new tract of land. In 19^7, a temporary prefabricated building was constructed to house 120 women students and was ready for occupancy, September, 19^8. This dormitory was called Pioneer Hall. Groundbreaking ceremony for the permanent structure took place December 6, 19^-8. Flourishing a chromium-plated shovel, President Harry W. Rockwell officially broke ground to signify the start of construction of the first permanent dormitories in the state system. John Urban, science professor, representing the faculty; Donald Brossman, president of the Alumni Association; and George Rentsch, president of the Student Council extended greetings to the

audience and. guests. Speaking at the ceremony was Lewis A. Wilson, representing Education Commissioner Francis Spaulding; Hermann Cooper, assistant commissioner for teacher education; Robert McCarthy, chairman of the Dormitory Authority; Clifton Flather, administrative director of the Dormitory Authority, and James Kideney, architect who designed the building. Earbara Nicholson, president of Pioneer Hall and Edward Butler, president of the Local Board presented the shovel to President Rockwell for the groundbreaking ceremony. Amid colorful ceremony, the cornerstone was placed into position on May 5, 19^9 t»y Edward H. Butler, editor and publisher of the Buffalo Evening News and president of the College Board of Managers. Dr. Rockwell commented, "Including his father's service, father and son have served this college board for 5^ years. “ That, I believe is a record for that kind of service." "This is more than a laying of a cornerstone," said Dr. Rockwell "It is a day of rejoicing, of fulfillment of a hope and of a dream long cherished by many. It represents the complete rounding out of a fundamental, material, college program supplementing campus, class ­ rooms , equipment ." On October 27, 1950, President Rockwell formally accepted the keys of the dormitory from J. Frederick Rogers, member of the State Dormitory Authority, at the dedication ceremony. Governor Thomas E. Dewey cut the ribbon.


At this time, the dormitory was called North Hall. In the summer of 1962, the regents of the State University system authorized the name to he changed to Cassety Hall. During the Special Dedication Week, April 1963, the dormitory was formal 1 y dedicated to the devoted teacher who had served the college so long and so well, Louise M. Cassety. Since the erection of the Towers, Cassety Hall is now used as faculty offices.

Myrtle Viola Caudell 1876-1963

On April 3, 19o2, at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new heme economics building, among the notables present for the occasion ■was a former teacher, Myrtle Viola Caudell, who served for nineteen years as director of the home economics department of the Normal School and the College of Education, from 1919-1938- One month before the formal dedication of the building, Miss Caudell died on March 6, 19o3- • During her tenure at the college, the home economics course was increased from a three-year to a four-year program -with a bachelor cf science degree. She was at the Normal School when the transition was made from the present Grover Cleveland High School site to the new campus on Elmwood Avenue. At that time, the Home Economics Department was established in Ketchum Hall. A native of Buffalo, Miss Caudell was graduated from the Teachers Training School in 1897 and taught home making in the Buffalo schools for the next eleven years. In 1910, she received a diploma in home economics from Drexel Institute in Philadelphia. For the next three years, she was director of home economics for the Detroit Y.W.C.A. From 191^ through 1918, she was director of home economics education at Delaware College for Women in Newark, Delaware. She received a bachelor of science degree in 191^ and a master of science degree in 1921, both from Columbia University. Miss Caudell was also interested in child training and devel ­ opment. For further study in this area, she attended courses at


Cornell University, Vassar College, Oregon State College of Home Economics, and at Northwestern University. Myrtle Caudell was quite active in the Zonta Club and traveled extensively both at home and abroad. Her interest was in people and in customs rather than in places. She was a member of the Board of Managers of the Buffalo Y.W.C.A. from 1939 to 1945 .


Myrtle V. Caudell Hall

Cn a bitterly cold, day, April 3, 19^2, ground was broken for a new, one million dollar home economics building. Shivering against the cold and with fingers numb, Dr. Paul G. Bulger, college president and Dr. Margaret A. Grant, director of the home economics division, dug into the frozen earth. "The building will not be the most significant thing," Dr. Bulger said. "The people who teach in it will be the essence." Dr. Grant noted that the division had eighteen hundred alumnae. She also remarked, "This area of studies, now called home economics, was started at our college in 1910 as a two-year course under the title of Household Arts Department. There were seventy-two under ­ graduates taught by four faculty members." In April, 19°3 during Dedication Week, the building was formally dedicated and called Myrtle Viola Caudell Hall. At the present time, it houses two divisions: I. Caudell Division which includes home economics, nutrition and food science, environmental and consumer studies, and human development, family, and community relations. II. Vocational Technical Education. Previously, these divisions had been housed in Ketchum Hall.

-Susan Frances Chase

Susan Frances Chase 18^9-1927

Sorn in Shanghai, China, October 9, 1859 (her father was a marine merchant), Susan Frances Chase later made her home in Orchard Park, New York. She lived in Buffalo intermittently from 1670 to her retirement from teaching. After graduation from Oneida High School, she received a general education diploma in 1880 from the Training School of Methods, Quincy, Massachusetts. She taught high school courses for about fifteen years then returned to college for further degrees. In 1895, she earned her bachelors degree from Wisconsin University, and in the foilwing year she received a masters degree from Milton College. In 1898, the University of Buffalo awarded Dr. Chase the degree of doctor of pedagogy. Dr. Chase joined the staff of Buffalo Normal School in 1899 and remained on the faculty until june, 1926. Just before her retirement, Dr. Chase was struck by an automobile at Delaware Avenue and Allen Street. She never fully recovered, and it is believed that it hastened her death, September 7, 1927. As the school paper recorded, "She never enjoyed the vacation she so well deserved." Besides her teaching assignments at the Normal School, Dr. Chase was involved with the University of West Virginia Training Class for two summers and was instructor at the University of Buffalo for three years, lectured on educational topics in several states, contributed to educational publications, and was very active in many civic organizations.


Dr. Chase was a true friend and counselor to her students, and many sought and received good advice from her. She was involved with young people in many extra-curricular activities and in community affairs. She was a long time member of the Y.W.C.A. and worked untiringly to help the young women who came under her direction. While Dr. Chase was at Normal School, she worked under Dr. James M. Cassety and Dr. Daniel Upton as well as Dr. Harry W. Rockwell. She must have been present at the happy occasion on October 9> 1913 when the cornerstone for the new school was laid by Edward H. Butler. According to the records, she lived close to the school at kOk Jersey Street. During her tenure, she rejoiced that the curriculum advanced from two to three years in 1922. In 1925> Regents of the State Univ ­ ersity approved establishment of four year General Elementary curriculum. At the time of her retirement, Regents authorized degree of bachelor of science - elementary curriculum. Susan Chase enjoyed her teaching years in the new school but she watched and observed with the administration and other faculty members, how the building was getting less and less adequate as the enrollment and curriculum increased. She retired and left the area before the new campus on Elmwood was established. In 1926, the Elms , yearbook of the State College, dedicated the volume to two teachers who retired.


Dr. Susan Frances Chase

Miss Ernina S. Smith

Who, through their noble ideals and ripe scholarship, through their sympathetic guidance of the students and their long years of loyal service to Alma Mater, have inspired a deeper pride and

enthusiasm in our profession, this volume of The Elms is affection ­ ately dedicated.

Chase Hall

Chase Hall

This dormitory, originally called South Hall, was erected the same time as Cassety Hall. The cornerstone for the two buildings was placed in Cassety Hall on May 5, 19^9• On that occasion, Dr. Rockwell commented, "As a center of college campus life, these two dormitories and the student union will encour ­ age the accumulation of those happy traditions, those niceties of student life, those intangible values of happy social relationships which make the difference between a day school and a real college. " "Just as sound family life transforms a house into a home," he continued, "dormitories and the union complete that academic signi ­ ficance which the term 'alma mater' connotes as we have come to trans ­ late it in the higher educational program of our country. " President Rockwell accepted the keys to the dormitory at the dedication ceremony on October 27, 1950- In the summer of 19^2, the Regents of the S^ate University system authorized the building to be called Chase Hall. During the Special Dedication Week, April 1963, the dormitory was formally dedicated to the memory of a former devoted teacher of psychology and literature, Susan Frances Chase. The hall is now used for administrative offices.

Grover Cleveland

Grover Cleveland 1837-1908

During the first years of the Normal School, the future twenty- second and twenty-fourth President of the United States resided in Buffalo. C-rover Cleveland lived here twenty six years and took an active role in political and educational affairs. He contributed much to maintaining law and order within the county.. In fact, it was the dissatisfaction of the citizens of Buffalo with the scandals among law makers that lifted Cleveland from his quiet law office to the mayor of Buffalo in 1882, of Governor of New York State in 183L, and of President of the United States in l88p. Grover Cleveland was born on March 18, 1837 in Caldwell, New Jersey. Later, the family moved to Fayetteville, New York, where Cleveland spent a happy childhood. He first saw Buffalo when he visited his uncle, Louis Allen who lived in Black Rock, two miles from the city of Buffalo, in a large, comfortable home situated on broad acres between Niagara Street and the riven. His father died about 185^, and realizing his mother could not send him to college, Cleveland decided to go to Cleveland (named after a relative, Moses Cleveland) to look for a job. On the way, he stopped in Buffalo and remained when he received a job offer from his uncle. Mr. All .ealthy man and many influential men came to his home. Cleveland was a keen observer and decided that to be a success, he had to become a lawyer. Mr. Allen secured him a position in Buffalo with the Firm Rogers, Bowen, and Rogers. After three years of private suudy and practice in the firm, Cleveland was admitted to the bar by the

Supreme Court, May, 1859* Rather than open his own law firm, he remained, with his old. associates as their chief clerk. In 1863, Cleveland, accepted, the position as assistant district attorney. The Civil War broke out, hut as law permitted, he fur ­ nished a substitute when he was drafted, as he was the chief support of his mother and sisters. He continued to fulfill his duties, and though not a brilliant attorney, he was a hard worker and took his work seriously. Cleveland was elected Sheriff of Erie County in 1870. He served the county so well that despite his protestations , he was nominated for mayor and was elected in l88l. His good reputation for defending "the little man" spread throughout the state. In November, 1882, a landslide vote swept him into the office of Gover ­ nor of New York. Cleveland's connection with Buffalo ended. In 1885, he was elected the twenty-second president of the United States. While president, Grover Cleveland married Frances Folsom, daughter of a close friend who had died years before. The wedding took place in the White House June 2, 1886. The Clevelands had five children: Ruth, Esther, Marion, Richard Folsom, and Frances Grover. After serving another term 1893-1897, Grover Cleveland retired to the quiet village of Princeton, New Jersey to enjoy life with his family and to vacation at "Grey Gables" on Cape Cod. Quietly, on the morning of January 2k, 1908, Cleveland died. His final words were, "I have tried hard to do right. "

When the Normal School became a reality, G rover Cleveland, was Sheriff of Erie County. Records show that he was appointed a mem ­ ber of the first local Board of Directors, Sept. 16 , 1870. This certainly indicates concern and support of the newly established school.

Cleveland Hall

The new academic and student service building faces Rockwell Road on Cleveland Circle. To the right of the structure are Bishop Hall and Neumann Hall. To the left of the building are the Research and Development Complex and Moot Hall. On the back side of the hall, the building completes the quadrangle which also includes Butler Library, Communications Center, and Student Union. Cleveland Hall houses administrative offices and will centralize for the first time the office of Vice-President for Student Affairs, Placement, and Financial Aids. Acting on the recommendation of the Local College Council, the State University trustees approved the building name on October25>, 1972 on a resolution submitted by Trustees Manly Fleischmann and william Hassett, both of Buffalo. In June, 197h, Cleveland Hall was occupied by administrative


Jesse Ketchum 1782-1867

He wasn't a principal or president of the Normal School; neither was he a regent or member of the Board of Directors; nor was he ever a member of the faculty of the school, yet the zeal and devotion Jesse Ketchum showed for the advancement of education had a lasting influence on the origin and development of the present college. The Ketchum family began its Americanization in the beautiful little town of Ipswich, Massachusetts in l635« Jesse Ketchum II was born in Spencertown, New York (near Troy) on March 31, 1782, the son of Jesse Ketchum and Mary Robbins Ketchum. Mrs. Ketch-um died when Jesse was only six, and he lived with foster parents until the age of eighteen. Finding life too difficult outside the family circle, he left the farm and made his way alone to York, Ontario, where his older brother, Seneca had already settled. York later became the present city of Toronto, and in that city can still be found much evidence of the influence of the Ketchum family, but in particular Jesse Ketchum. Mr. Ketchum had two families. In l80k, he married a young widow, Ann Love. He adopted her daughter, Lily Love, as his own child. He and Ann had six children. Their descendents are in Canada. He and his brother had a prosperous farm, and both took active parts in the religious and educational establishments of Toronto. When the War of 1812 broke out, all American citizens had to leave Canada. Since he had been born before 1783, Jesse Ketchum was able to remain with all the privileges of a British citizen. Another American, John Van Zandt, was not so lucky. He was forced to sell

his property, and Jesse Ketchum bought it at a very low price. A prosperous tannery was located on one of the sites, and soon Mr. Ketchum acquired a large fortune. His son, William, had moved to Buffalo, and Mr. Ketchum established a branch of his tannery on Main Street, between Allen and High. In 1832, he retired from active work, and after settling his property among his children in Canada, he permanently moved to Buffalo. In 183^1-, he established his second family when he married Mary Ann Rubergall whom he met on one of his trips to Buffalo. Mr. Ketchum bought property on North Street and built a large house. Mrs. Ketchum died in 1869. Only one child of their three lived to maturity, a daughter named Emma. Jesse Ketchum was Buffalo's first true philanthropist. He spent the remainder of his life pursuing educational matters. He took part in discussions concerning schools, donated land for school buildings, and contributed liberal sums of money to educational fund Up until the last week of his life, he was a constant visitor in the Buffalo schools, managing to visit every classroom in every school at least once a year. He always carried with him books for teachers and pupils alike. Just as the school children of Toronto spoke of him affectionately as Uncle Jesse, so the school children of Buffalo callee him Good Father Ketchum. On June 23, 1866, the annual "Festival of the teachers" of the public schools of the city was held on Jesse Ketchum's "hay field."

At that time, Mr. Ketchum, O.G. Steele, Judge Clinton and others strongly urged those present to take immediate steps for securing the locations of a normal school at Buffalo. Mr. Ketchum,called "the friend of the children", at that time offered to the city five and a half acres of his land as a school site. This "hay field" was at the extreme city line. He gave not only his land for a school hut also the property on which Westminster Church was built. A petition presented by Judge Clinton and signed by the citi ­ zens was sent to Mayor Sogers and the Common Council to ask for aid to secure appropriations for a school building on this site. In April 1867, a hill authorizing the location of a school in Buffalo became law. A sum of forty-five thousand dollars was appropriated by Erie County and subsequently by the city of Buffalo, for the erection of a building. Jesse Ketchum died September 7, 1867 before he saw his dream realized. The cornerstone of the first Buffalo Normal School was laid on April 17, 1869. The site was on a block bounded by Jersey, Fourteenth, York, and Thirteenth. Upon that site, the State University College was founded. It bore two names and was housed in too buildings. In the latter part of the 1920's, it was obvious that the site had been outgrown, and after due process, the college moved to its present location on Elmwood Avenue. Mr. Ketchum left a fund of thirty thousand dollars, the interest of which was to be used in furthering education by giving gold and

silver medals to honor pupils. This tradition is honored to the present day. Jesse Ketchum truly proved himself to he "Father Ketchum. "

Ketchum Hall

This building was one of the four original buildings erected on the Elmwood campus. It was occupied for the first time in 1931, and housed the Homemaking Vocational and Industrial Arts Vocational as well as the science facilities until newer buildings were avail ­ able for these departments. It was formally designated as Jesse Ketchum Hall on October 22, 1962 and is now used as a general classroom building.

Adelbert Moot 185^-1929

On October 9, 1929, the cornerstone of the main building of the five to be erected was set in place. As. Mr. E.H. Sutler and other dignitaries officiated, there were many who remembered one prominent figure and friend of the college who was not present. Regent Adelbert Moot died September 13, 1929* Mr. Moot had been a leader of the state bar, Vice Chancellor of the State Board of Regents, and an active leader in Buffalo civic affairs. A doctor of laws, he had a large general and corporation practice, and was for same years a member of the law faculty at the University of Buffalo. He was a former president of the New York State Bar Association and was notably instrumental in civic welfare work, civil service reform, good government, and legal reforms in the state. Adelbert Moot was born in Allen, New York, Allegany County, November 22, 185^. After attending district schools in Allen, he attended school in Belmont near his home, went to the academy at Nunda, and after preparatory courses in the state normal school at Geneseo, he entered the law school at Albany and graduated from there. Admitted to the bar in 1876, he began a practice of law at Nunda. Later, he moved to Buffalo and lived there until his death. In July, 1882, he married Carrie A. Van Ness of Cuba, New York. They had three sons, Welles V., Richmond D. , and Seward A. Throughout his life, especially in the practice of his pro ­ fession at law, he was always a potent influence for honest politics, sound citizenship, and high standards in the legal profession.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40 Page 41 Page 42 Page 43 Page 44 Page 45 Page 46 Page 47 Page 48 Page 49 Page 50 Page 51 Page 52 Page 53 Page 54 Page 55 Page 56 Page 57 Page 58 Page 59 Page 60 Page 61 Page 62 Page 63 Page 64 Page 65 Page 66 Page 67 Page 68 Page 69 Page 70 Page 71 Page 72 Page 73 Page 74 Page 75 Page 76 Page 77 Page 78 Page 79 Page 80 Page 81 Page 82 Page 83 Page 84 Page 85 Page 86 Page 87 Page 88 Page 89 Page 90 Page 91 Page 92 Page 93 Page 94 Page 95 Page 96 Page 97 Page 98 Page 99 Page 100 Page 101 Page 102 Page 103

Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker