The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body NEWSLETTER
DR. JERRY YOO, DPT, CSCS, FMS Getting To Know The Next Level Sports Physical Therapy Team
MOVE. EXCEL. INSPIRE.
Dr. Yoo received his Master’s degree in Physical Therapy from Columbia University and his Doctorate of
Emergency Medical Responder, Trigger Point Dry Needling, USAW and USMS L2. Dr. Yoo also has 10+ years of experience as school-based and patient home-based Early Intervention physical therapist.He enjoys competing in triathlons & obstacle course races with an emphasis on overall fitness & nutrition. You can follow Dr. Jerry Yoo on Instagram @trijerrydpt
Physical Therapy from Rutgers University. He specializes in sports rehabilitation/ performance & pediatric physical therapy. He is a certified Crossfit and Endurance Coach. Other certifications include
The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body NEWSLETTER
IS YOUR BACK PAIN SLOWING YOU DOWN? OVERCOME BACK PAIN & GET MOVING AGAIN!
SERVICES & THERAPIES :
• Concussion Prevention Programming • Return To Sport Screening • Cupping Therapy
• Corrective and Functional Programming • Manual Therapy • Running Technique Analysis and Corrections
People with back pain will often have one of two thoughts: “I’m too young for back pain” or “I guess this is what aging is like.” Younger people might seek treatment, but most of the time, they won’t be given a specific diagnosis as to what is causing their pain and why. Meanwhile, people in their 30’s sometimes even believe pain is part of the aging process and might not seek treatment at all. In reality, everyone should be thinking “I need to fix this.” Early treatment by a physical therapist for back pain can reduce total medical costs by over $2700 by limiting the need for additional doctor visits, injections, medications, or surgery. It’s never too late to improve your pain and optimize how your body functions. Why do I have Back Pain? A number of mechanisms can contribute to back pain, but there are a few simple root causes: • Weakness in the deep core stabilizer muscles of the trunk that surround your spine and abdomen • Poor posture increasing tension on the spine • Repetitive injury to muscles and tissues around the spine from improper lifting • Limited flexibility of the spine and hip joints and muscles of the thighs
• Poor activation and coordination of the abdominal, pelvic, and back muscles • Acute injury from falls, lifting, twisting, and carrying heavy loads • Restrictions in your deeper tissues, which support your organs, can be a contributing factor to joint and spine pain. Most people don’t seek treatment soon enough and continue to suffer with a nagging ache or pain in their back. They may even feel symptoms travel to the buttocks and legs. Many people feel that not much can be done for back pain and use medication to numb the pain to get through the day. However, medication mostly masks the pain and does nothing to address Treating back pain starts with determining the true cause. A thorough evaluation of your movement, strength, posture and joint mobility can tell a lot about the true origins of your pain. Only then, can the proper plan be formulated to get you out of pain quickly and back to the activities you love. Whether you just tweaked your back or have been suffering for a long time, seeing one of our spine specialists can help you return to a more active and pain-free life. the root cause of the problem. Solutions to Back Pain.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK
1. Make Good Posture A Habit When you are standing, feel that the weight in your feet is going through your arches. Stack your knees over your ankles, your pelvis over your knees, and your shoulders over your pelvis. Let your head be in a relaxed position without your chin poking forward. Good posture doesn’t mean holding yourself up like you’re in the army. You should be comfortable, though it might still take time to get used to a new posture, even if it’s a better one. While sitting, make sure you’re using the backrest without your shoulders slouching or your head far forward and your feet are on the floor. 2. Lift Properly Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles. This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine. 3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. By keeping your body flexible, the normal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused on a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine every day can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine are called your core and include your abdominal, pelvic, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more.
5. Physical Therapy Our PhysicalTherapists are experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check-up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted exercises, we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain, we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Exercise of the Month Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
Athletic Performance Coaching
SUPPORTED BRIDGE Lie on your back with knees bent and feet hip distance apart. Place your feet close enough so they can be touched by your fingertips. Inhale and lift the hips, place a block under the sacrum. Keep the chest open. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times.
A physical therapy clinic does not just have to be a place you go when you’re injured. At Next Level, we assist athletes of all levels with performance coaching. Frommarathon runners to team sport athletes, our professionals are able to provide vital support with skills and development-based training. By working with primary coaches, we can be sure you are learning a comprehensive training regimen that builds strength and skill as is most needed for your sport. Your risk of injury or overexertion is minimized considerably when you have a physical therapist on your team.
Patient Success Spotlight
FREE 15 MIN. DISCOVERY SESSION
CALL TO SCHEDULE TODAY! 123 Broadway Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677 (201) 746-9966 We Look Forward To Hearing From You!
“Jerry and the staff have helped my whole family get stronger and healthier! From physical therapy to getting fit, the whole Next Level Team has been there!!! They are like family....family you would have hand picked! They are courteous and professional, but more importantly, genuinely caring. Jerry helped my oldest daughter heal from a bad fall, improve my son's running, and has helped me and my other daughter be in the best shape ever through their fitness program. Next Level Sports always goes above and beyond!!!" - Jeannie W. They are like family....family you would have hand picked!
Offer valid for the first 20 people to schedule. Expires 07-31-18
Physical Therapy at Next Level Sports
Our philosophy comes down to three words: MOVE. EXCEL. INSPIRE.
Through individualized therapy and conditioning, we work with our patients and clients to help them MOVE correctly, painlessly, and skillfully. Our strengthening, conditioning, and performance coaching help them EXCEL to the next level of their sport and other pursuits. Finally, as our patients and clients reach their aspirations, we encourage them to INSPIRE others along the way to set new goals and reach for higher heights. When an athlete is injured or if he or she is suffering from a chronic issue, physical therapy is necessary for rehabilitation. But every athlete is different and physical therapy is not a one-size-fits-all solution. AtNextLevel,wework individuallywithallofourathletestobuildaphysicalprofile, identify underlying issues,andcreateaspecializedplantoputeachpatientonthepathtohealing. Beyond our hands-on approach to healing, what really sets us apart as a physical therapy clinic is that we don’t believe the partnership should end when the pain does. We partner with athletes to develop healthy lifestyles and design exercise regimens in order to prevent reinjury. This level of physical therapy is unparalleled in the industry and underscores our commitment to full body care.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online