Mid-State Connect Winter 2017 Issue

credit corner DUAL CREDIT High school students may earn FREE college credits through Mid-State Technical College via three different dual credit programs: Transcripted Credit, Course Options, and Youth Options. These Dual Credit programs give high school students the opportunity to take Mid-State courses and earn Mid-State credits at no cost to the students and their family. This means that high school students are introduced to college rigor as they challenge themselves academically and are taking courses that

may transfer directly into their program of choice at Mid-State and possibly other colleges. Taking Dual Credit courses as a high school student also means the student can complete his or her post-secondary degree faster and enter the workforce while saving money on tuition and books. 2016-2017 Mid-State Dual Credit Data: Over 800* high school students earned more than 3,100 Mid-State college credits saving all the students over $420,000 in tuition money alone (not including textbook costs).

To learn more about Dual Credit and the courses available, visit mstc.edu/getdc .

dual credit is the ultimate “two-for-one”

* This number is unduplicated high school students.

CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING Receiving credit for prior learning can have a huge impact on student success. In fact, students who receive credit for knowledge and skills gained through previous education, work, life, and military experiences are more than twice as likely to graduate. Credit for Prior Learning at Mid-State is designed to accelerate the completion of students’ educational goals and help them save money on tuition and books along the way. Credit for Prior Leaning credits may include: transfer of credit from regionally accredited

post-secondary institutions; credit by standardized examination; military, occupational or other life experience/training; and articulated high school credit. Students are required to complete 25 percent of their program credit requirements at Mid-State. The remaining 75 percent of credits may be earned through various types of credit for prior learning. Get more information about each Credit for Prior Learning option and take steps to getting started on Mid-State’s website at www.mstc.edu/cpl .




Mid-State Connect Winter 2017

Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs