Homeside Financial October 2018

Why There Are Kids on Your Porch The History of Trick-or-Treating As Halloween looms and you load up your grocery cart with candy, you may ask yourself, “Why do I provide these spooky gremlins with a sugar high every Oct. 31, anyway?” Well, when your doorbell starts ringing around 6 p.m. this All Hallows’ Eve, you can thank the Celts for this tradition of candy and costumes.

Halloween itself is a kind of mishmash of four different cultural festivals of old: two Roman fêtes, which commemorated the dead and the goddess of fruit and trees (not at the same time); the Celtic Samuin or Samhain, a new year’s party thrown at the end of our summer; and the Catholic All Saint’s Day, designed to replace Samuin and divorce it from its pagan origins. Long before there were young’uns on your porch dressed as Thanos with candy-filled pillowcases in hand, the Celts believed that Samuin marked an overlapping of the realms of the living and the dead. To trick the spirits

The Catholic Church was never a big fan of these pagan traditions, so they renamed it “All Saints’ Day” and gussied it up in religious garb. By the 11th century, people were dressing up as saints, angels, and the occasional demon instead of spirits. Eventually, costumed children started tearing through town begging for food and money and singing a song or prayer in return — a practice called “souling.” But when did they start dressing up as Minions? Starting in the 19th century, souling turned to “guising,” which gave way to trick-or-treating in mid-20th- century America, and the costumes diversified. So put on some clown makeup and a big smile, scoop up a handful of sweets, and scare the living daylights out of ‘em — ‘tis the season!

leaking into our world, young men donned flowing white costumes and black masks — a great disguise when ghosts were about.

The Tiny House Movement

What You Need to Know About Tiny Homes Before Buying One

The tiny house movement is a recent architectural and social trend that advocates a minimalist lifestyle. With this movement, people embrace the philosophy tied to significantly downsizing the spaces in which they live. Even if the idea of living in a small house sounds claustrophobic or generally awful, you can’t deny the hip aesthetic some of these homes espouse. From geodesic domes made to withstand all weather conditions to repurposed shipping containers replete with personal rooftop bars, the elegance associated with some of the most Pinterest-worthy tiny houses is quite unbelievable.

their tiny home, and that task is not as easy as it sounds. According to The Tiny Life, if the owners buy a building kit, the average cost of a tiny home is $23,000. 68 percent of owners do not have mortgages, but for the other 32 percent that need help with financing, here is some pertinent information. Mortgage brokers typically value homes on the basis of dollars per square foot. With tiny houses, there are often high

There is a challenge, though, with living small, and it’s not just the struggle to fit your sleeping, cooking, and dining activities into a 400-square-foot space. Many who want a tiny home can’t afford to purchase one with cash. They need to finance

costs per square feet. Money accrues because there are relatively few square feet and a disproportionate amount of space devoted to costly areas, such as kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, the overall cost depends on how the house is built. Are you the builder, or will the home be constructed by professionals? Is there a cost for property, or are you building on land you already own, such as your own backyard? Whatever the case, if you are thinking about joining the tiny house movement, our team here at Homeside Financial encourages you to speak with your local municipal building code enforcement office to make sure you can get all required permits and permissions. Lastly, if you have any questions about getting a loan to turn that old school bus into a cozy, chic home, feel free to give us a call at (828) 229-7877 .

2

jharrington@gohomeside.com

Published by The Newsletter Pro • www.TheNewsletterPro.com

Made with FlippingBook Annual report