The Estate and Estates Department
The University estates comprises 130 buildings providing over 238,000m2 of Gross Internal Area (GIA). The University owns the freehold of 85.7% of the Estate, with the remaining 14.3% being leased. In 2014, the estate was valued at £217m and in 2020 a reinstatement cost assessment returned an overall figure of £340m.
The University has three campus locations: Brayford Campus – The Campus is located on a former railway marshalling yard which had become largely derelict by the 1970s. The site was remediated by the County Council in the 1990s and the Brayford Way flyover constructed
which improved access to the site. The first building was constructed in 1996 (Minerva Building). Since then a modern city centre campus has been constructed, which blends new buildings with the sympathetic restoration of two Victorian railway buildings –a goods warehouse (the University Library building)
and Engine Shed (Students’ Union building). The University has recently opened a purpose-built facility to house the Lincoln Medical School which will be carbon neutral in operation – the first building of its kind in Lincolnshire. 6
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker