Visa Compliance Officer Candidate Pack
The University of Law, a private university, (formerly the College of Law), is one of the UK’s leading and longest established providers of legal education and training with origins dating back to 1876 with the formation of the leading tutorial firm Gibson & Weldon and later on, with the establishment of The Law Society School of Law. In 1962 the two were amalgamated to establish The College of Law. The University was the first ever independent institution to be granted degree awarding powers, gaining University title (The University of Law) in 2012 before being bought by Global University Systems in 2015. Working right at the heart of the legal profession, the University brings together teaching of the highest quality, a focus on practical skills and innovative learning styles to deliver perfect preparation for life in legal practice and ongoing professional development. The University is in an ongoing, exciting period of growth and expansion with more than 10,000 students, circa 800 staff and 14 campuses across the UK and Hong Kong. Alongside its Legal education and training, it is also expanding its Business school offering both in the UK and in Berlin. All campuses are close to thriving commercial centres, leading law firms and have strong transport links. Each campus is a modern, well-equipped professional law school providing a comfortable and stimulating learning and working environment. The University has ambitious plans for the future and anticipates a significant increase in the number of applications in 2020/21, this is on top of two previous cycles of significant applicant growth. Reporting to the Senior Visa Compliance Officer, the purpose of this role is to work closely with stakeholders across the University to implement and review all policies and processes concerning our Tier 4 sponsor duties to the Home Office. This includes assessing and advising on the eligibility for Tier 4 sponsorship of prospective and current students and maintaining up-to-date audit trails and records for all Tier 4 Students registered at the University. The University of Law has a dedicated Student Immigration Compliance and Advice (SICA) department which sits within the Academic Registry. The department provides advice and support to prospective and current students on UK study immigration and visa regulations. It is also responsible for ensuring that the University complies with its legal responsibilities as a Tier 4 sponsor licenced by the Home Office. SICA are based at the University’s London Bloomsbury campus, but support staff and students across all of the University’s UK locations. It is committed to ensuring the University remains fully compliant the University’s Tier 4 sponsor duties, while providing an efficient and robust support service to its diverse international student body.
VISION, CORPORATE PLAN & STRATEGY
Vision and mission To be the global university of choice for the professions, by driving innovation in applied education to deliver outstanding employment outcomes. The University of Law exists to serve its students and their future employers by being global leaders in providing applied knowledge and skills.
Vision and Mission
Drawing on our heritage as one of the UK’s longest established law schools, we strive to build on our success through the ethos of IDEAS:
• Innovation - for our people, campuses, technology and business practices
Innovation and Growth
• Diversity - continuously improving the quality, quantity and flexibility of our courses
• Employability focus - ensuring our students are in demand by firms and businesses
• Ambition – inspiring the best in our students and society
• Success - academically and professionally for all
Student focus • The quality of the student experience is key to our ethos, reputation and our ability to recruit and be commercially successful We were ranked in the Top 10 for 5 core categories in the National Student Survey 2019 and in the same year were awarded Silver in the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework for our teaching, learning and outcomes. Our performance in the critical categories of teaching excellence and academic support for students is sector leading.
Widening participation We are committed to widening participation and diversity across all of the University’s programmes. • The University will continue to invest in alternative modes of study including part-time and online to enable the University to meet the needs of the students from the broadest possible range of backgrounds. Innovation and Growth • Our programme portfolio is constantly evolving to remain innovative, topical and relevant • Our reach is being extended through the creation of new campuses and partnerships Student Recruitment • Our reputation, and the global importance of the English legal system, position us well to increase overseas recruitment beyond our traditional UK-focused student base • We continue to grow student recruitment and develop our brand • We aim to provide a seamless approach to recruitment, ensuring clarity of offer and a genuine engagement with applicants throughout their application process • We continue to strengthen our ties with Alumni, celebrating their success and using our shared history to further enhance the student experience
People We strive to:
• Support the development of colleagues to enable the delivery of an even higher quality service • Recognise and reward strong performance
4. Guildford Campus
5. Leeds Campus
6. London Bloomsbury Campus
7. London Moorgate Campus
8. Manchester Campus
9. Nottingham Campus (new for 2019)
10. The University of Law at UEA in Norwich (new for 2019)
11. The University of Law in Exeter
12. The University of Law in Liverpool
13. The University of Law at Reading
All of our campuses are in thriving commercial areas and offer the same fully-resourced facilities, including well equipped IT suites with PCs for DVD and i-Tutorials, comprehensive law libraries with all the latest legal texts, quiet study areas and places to relax.
14. Hong Kong Centre (new for 2019 )
Visa Compliance Officer Main Function of Job
The purpose of this role is to work closely with stakeholders across the University to implement and review all policies and processes concerning our Tier 4 sponsor duties to the Home Office. This includes assessing and advising on the eligibility for Tier 4 sponsorship of prospective and current students and maintaining up-to-date audit trails and records for all Tier 4 Students registered at the University.
Main Function of Job
Department Academic Registry / Student Immigration Compliance and Advice Reporting to Senior Visa Compliance Officer Location London Bloomsbury Direct Reports None
The post-holder will report to the Senior Visa Compliance Officer.
Specific Responsibilities Service Delivery
• To assess the eligibility of prospective students for Tier 4 sponsorship by reviewing their applications, immigration history and compliance interview • To advise other stakeholders including Admissions, International Student Recruitment and Student Services on the eligibility of Tier 4 sponsorship for prospective students • To work closely with the Visa Compliance Manager and Senior Visa Compliance Officer to ensure that all CAS are assigned correctly and within agreed deadlines • To work closely with Student Services across all campuses to ensure that only students with valid immigration permission are enrolled at the University • To carry out post-enrolment checks to ensure that all documentation has been captured at enrolment in line with Home Office regulations • To participate in audits of international student records across all of the University’s campuses • To work closely with the Senior Visa Compliance Officer and colleagues across the University to monitor the attendance of all registered Tier 4 students, and maintain up-to-date records of attendance levels including details of any authorised absences • To communicate with Tier 4 students who are at risk of violating their visa conditions to ensure their full compliance with Home Office regulations and liaise with colleagues in Student Support Services where necessary • To communicate regularly with registered Tier 4 Students at the University to ensure that their student record is updated to reflect any changes in circumstances. This includes any changes to their contact details or immigration status
• To act as a Level 1 User on the Home Office’s Sponsor Management System and issue CAS to students who have met the requirements for Tier 4 sponsorship • To assess requests for Tier 4 sponsorship from continuing students or those returning from a period of intermission • To assess requests for immigration letters (e.g. Short-Term Study visa) from prospective and current students and issue the necessary documentation • To contribute to the development and update of any policies concerning Tier 4 Students • To maintain excellent working relationships with external agencies including UKCISA and the Home Office and represent the Universityexternal events
• To undertake any other duties as required that are consistent with the nature of the role • To participate in International Student Advice and Visa Compliance activities and team meetings, as well as those of the wider Academic Registry • The job holder will be required to work flexibly, particularly during peak periods July to October • Travel between the University’s campuses will be required, particularly between the London Bloomsbury and London Moorgate campuses
The job holder has a duty to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons with whom they come into contact at work. The job holder also has a duty to co-operate with the University in complying with any statutory duty or requirement concerning health and safety at work. In particular, they must familiarise themselves with the Health and Safety Policy and its safety and fire procedures.
This job description is to be read in conjunction with the relevant Roles and Responsibilities Career Level document.
This job description is correct at 16 December 2019. It may vary in consultation with the post holder to reflect changes within the market place, within the Academic Registry and within the University.
Training & Education
Essential • Educated to degree A-level or equivalent • High level of numeracy and literacy Desirable • Educated to degree level or equivalent Experience
Training & Education
Skills & Knowledge
Essential • Proven experience of working in administration in an education setting • Proven experience of using databases to retrieve information • Experience of managing record and information systems within an education setting • Experience of working with international students Desirable • Experience of Tier 4 compliance in an education setting • Experience of using the Home Office’s Sponsor Management System • Experience of implementing new processes Skills & Knowledge Essential • Ability to understand and follow complex regulations and processes • Ability to manage and understand large sets of data • Ability to undertake data entry tasks while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail • Strong written and verbal communication skills • Excellent IT and Microsoft Office skills, especially Microsoft Excel • Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with colleagues across different areas of the University Desirable • Knowledge of the Home Office’s Tier 4 requirements. • Experience of using Customer Relationship Management (CRM) or a similar IT platform
Essential • Ability to use own initiative to complete complex tasks • Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team • Ability to be flexible and proactive to undertake new tasks • Cultural awareness and sensitivity and ability to exercise tact and diplomacy Special Circumstances
Essential • Flexibility in working hours will be required to meet demands of the role • Travel between the University’s two London campuses will be required and to other campuses for certain events • There will be some restriction on when leave may be taken at peak periods, in consultation with line manager
The University is being supported on this recruitment campaign by the search consultancy The Management Recruitment Group (MRG) .
To arrange a brief conversation please contact our advisor Sian Gardiner of MRG.
Sian Gardner E: email@example.com
T: 020 3962 9900 M: 07932 717 458
Applications should consist of a comprehensive CV and covering letter.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 23rd February 2020.Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14
Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker