Delivery Boxes Piling Up? 4 Ways to Reuse Instead of Recycle
COMPOST Clean corrugated cardboard —what most Amazon boxes are made of — is another great source of useful carbon. Cut your boxes into pieces and place them in your compost pile so the carbon combines with the nitrogen from food scraps. The process helps break the pile down into nutrient-rich humus for healthy soil. TOYS OR ART SUPPLIES Kids tend to play with the box their new toy came in rather than the toy itself for a reason. Cardboard boxes spark creativity, and the possibilities are endless! Boxes can be used as forts, spaceships, building blocks, art canvases, and more. Empty boxes can provide hours of fun with a little help from a vivid imagination. STORAGE Boxes are meant for holding items, so use empty ones to organize a cluttered garage or attic or safely store less frequently used items like winter jackets or holiday decorations. If the brown cardboard aesthetic on a shelf just won’t cut it, paint the boxes or wrap them in eye-catching gift wrap, then label them. If you’re not sure how you want to use your boxes, just hold on to them until you’re ready. The beauty of cardboard is that you can break it down, store it easily, and reconstruct the boxes later when you find a use for them.
s more people opt for online shopping, the number of home deliveries is skyrocketing. Almost every item ordered comes in its own cardboard box, and nearly 20% of these boxes end up in landfills, while the other 80% require significant amounts of energy to recycle. Here are four ways to reuse those boxes instead of just tossing them out.
GARDEN BED STARTERS Because cardboard boxes are loaded with carbon and not contaminated by many other chemicals, they’re great for starting new plants or flower beds. They help reduce weeds and protect weak or young plants from the elements, and when the carbon in cardboard combines with the nitrogen in the dirt, a nutrient-rich soil emerges for plants to flourish in.
... continued from Cover
and you finish by running another mile, all while wearing a 20lb vest. Their challenge to me was this: Do it! One morning, I woke up at 5, did a few things, and then decided to throw on my running shorts and shoes. I was going to take up their challenge. I ran a mile. I did 10 pullups, 20 pushups, and 30 body-weight squats. I cycled through those exercises 10 times until I got through them. Then I ran the second mile. I felt like I was going to pass out, but I completed it! Going into it, I didn’t know if I would be able to do it or not. I knew I was in decent enough shape, but the Murph is a lot to take on. I realized how much I was capable of doing, and I wouldn’t have known that if I hadn’t taken up their challenge. When it comes down to it, we don’t really know what we’re capable of until we push ourselves. After all, pushing yourself is the only way to grow. I’ll leave you with that food for thought. Stay safe, stay healthy, and enjoy your summer!
Call Us Today (703) 535-5300 • 3
Made with FlippingBook Ebook Creator