Health &Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
The Blue Ridge PT Inc. Team! DR. KIM A. CONTRYMAN
Dr. Contryman e a r n e d h e r Ma s t e r ’s o f
Kim has worked as a physical therapist in Johnson City for more than twenty years. Her expertise includes all forms of orthopedic and neurologic diagnoses ranging up to and including traumatic head injuries, cerebral vascular accidents, pathological conditions, orthopedic insults, post surgical care, lymphedema, and pelvic floor disorders, as well as urinary and fecal incontinence. In addition, Kim is certified to provide a wide-range of industrial services including Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCEs/FCAs), workplace evaluations, individual job evaluations, work conditioning and work hardening. Dr. Contryman is a nationally known speaker and provides seminars to physical and occupational therapists, as well as physicians several times each year.
Physical Therapy in 1991 from Northern Arizona University. She was NDT (Neuro-Developmental Techniques) certified in 1995, received her certification as a Neurology Certified Specialist (NCS) by the APTA (American Physical Therapy Association) in 2000 and again in 2010, and in 2002 she received her certification as an Orthopedic Certified Specialist (OCS). Her OCS was renewed in 2012. In May of 2002, the University of Southern California awarded Kim a Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT). She received the Order of the Golden Cane, which is the highest honor awarded to graduates who demonstrate outstanding accomplishments in a variety of professional areas. Neurology and Orthopedics both form an important part of Dr. Contryman’s background.
Health & Wellness The Newsletter About Your Health And Caring For Your Body
INSIDE: • How To Take Care Of Your Back • FREE Mobile Download • Relieve Back Pain In Minutes • Patient Success Spotlight OVERCOME BACKPAIN Is Back Pain Slowing You Down?
Is back pain causing you to move a little slower and more cautiously? If left untreated, chronic back pain can lead to long-term spinal, joint, and possibly nerve damage. Back pain is one of the most common physical complaints that people suffer from and more than 80% of the US population will experience back pain at some point in their lifetime. Back pain can interfere with your ability to bend, kneel, lift, reach, do work and enjoy time with your family. Not to mention, it can make you down right irritable and affect others around you. Why Do I Have Back Pain? Back pain occurs for a number of reasons, but has a few simple root causes: • Weakness in the spinal and core muscles of the trunk. • Poor posture and strain on the spine from slouched sitting. • Repetitive injury to muscles and tissues around the spine from improper lifting. • Limited flexibility of the spine, hips and muscles of the thighs. • Poor coordination of the abdominal, pelvic and back muscles.
Most people don’t seek treatment soon enough and continue to suffer with a nagging ache or pain in their back. They may even feel symptoms travel to the buttocks and legs. Many people feel that not much can be done for back pain and use medication to numb the pain to get through the day. However, medication mostly masks the pain and does nothing to address the root cause of the problem. Solutions to Back Pain. Treating back pain starts with determining the true cause. A thorough evaluation of your movement, strength, posture and joint mobility can tell a lot about the true origins of your pain. Only then, can the proper plan be formulated to get you out of pain quickly and back to the activities you love. Whether you just tweaked your back or have been suffering for a long time, seeing one of the spine specialists at Blue Ridge Physical Therapy can help you return to a more active and pain-free life. Give us a call today at (423) 262-0020.
HOWTO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK
1. Keep a Good Posture When you are standing, imagine a string through the top of your head lifting you straight up. This puts your neck, shoulders, spine and hips in natural alignment. While sitting, make sure you sit back in the chair with your feet on the floor and your lower back supported. Your shoulders should not slouch when sitting. Avoid soft couches when you can. 2. Lift Properly Picking things up is a normal part of our day. Even if you pick up something light, your back muscles have to lift the weight of your upper torso and control that movement. Make sure you always face what you need to pick up, squat keeping your spine straight and push with your leg muscles.This helps reduce the excessive pressure on your spine. 3. Stay Flexible Flexibility is key to maintaining a healthy back. By keeping your body flexible, the normal forces of movement and lifting can be distributed across the spine, rather than focused onto a few segments, which can then fail. An easy stretching routine everyday can keep you feeling great and put a spring in your step. 4. Stay Strong You have hundreds of muscles, which control the movement of your spine. Major muscles that support the spine are called your core and include your abdominal, pelvis, spinal and hip muscles. By keeping your core muscles strong, you support your spine and have the ability to easily control lifting, quick movements, bending and a lot more.
5. Physical Therapy Our physical therapists are medical experts in evaluating spine and body movement. By having a regular check up, you can make sure your body is in good condition to tackle the activities you love. If you have a history of back pain, injury or are currently experiencing aches and pains, we can analyze your problem and construct a treatment program that will work best for your individual problem. With soothing hands-on therapy and targeted easy exercises we can help you return quickly to feeling your best. Even if you suffer from severe pain we can help you get out of pain and living the life you deserve. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Relieve Back Pain In Minutes Try this movement if you are experiencing back pain.
SUPPORTED BRIDGE Lie on your back with knees bent and feet hip distance apart. Place your feet close enough so they can be touched by the finger tips. Inhale and lift the hips, place a block under the sacrum. Keep the chest open. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 10 times. Strengthens Core www.simpleset.net
Think PT First
Why You Need To Come Back In For A Tune- Up: � Move without pain
� Sit for long periods comfortably
� Bend and move freely � Balance confidently and securely
� Walk for long distances � Live an active and healthy lifestyle
CALL TODAY! (423) 262-0020
Patient Success Spotlight
MMA FIGHTER SPOTLIGHT
Now I am pain free!
It is with great excitement that we congratulate Keith Olson, former BRPT client who just made his debut as a professional MMA fighter. He went 7-1 as an amateur with a knock out in his first round ever. On Saturday, January 6, 2018, Keith won his first fight in the first round of his professional career. Keith plans on
“ When I first came here, I was suffering from extreme low back pain. It was so intense, I could not sleep and trying to do my daily work duties was extremely difficult. Getting in and out of my car, or putting on my shoes was very painful. Now I am pain free. I have stopped taking meloxicam. Back to my normal schedule.” – John H.
continuing on this venture with new fights yet to come this Spring. We are very proud of to have had Keith as a client and wish him the best of luck in the fights to come. Keep your eyes open for more information throughout the year on Keith’s schedule as well as his successes!! We are very proud of to have had Keith as a client and wish him the best of luck in the fights to come.
Attention Back Pain Sufferers! Do You Have Difficulty With Back Pain?
• Decrease your pain • Increase your strength • Increase your activity level We can help:
• Increase your flexibility • Improve your health • Get back to living
Mention or Bring in This Coupon Today For a FREE Back Pain Consultation
Call Today: (423) 262-0020
Offer valid for the first 25 people to schedule. Expires 02-27-18.
Benefits Of Getting Assistance For Shoveling Snow
Avoid shoveling whenever possible If you have lower back pain, snow shoveling is one of those activities that you should avoid whenever possible. Here is an option to get you started on thinking about how to avoid shoveling this year. Find a volunteer to clear your snow. Many local nonprofit organizations, such as Boy Scouts, high schools and church youth programs require teens and young adults to provide a certain number of service hours in their community. Assisting someone with back pain by shoveling their driveways and walkways will almost always count towards their required minimum of service hours, so it’s a win-win: they will be helping you by shoveling your snow and you will be helping them fulfill their service requirements. If you fear you will or have injured your back while shoveling, contact us today to schedule an appointment. Our physical therapists will proceed with any necessary treatment, to help you return to a pain free and active life.
Eating Right Never Tasted So Good!
Roquefort Pear Salad
Ingredients • 1 head leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces • 3 pears • 5 ounces Roquefort cheese • 1 avocado • 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions • 1/4 cup white sugar
• 1/2 cup pecans • 1/3 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard • 1 clove garlic, chopped • 1/2 teaspoon salt • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Directions In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, mustard, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper. In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado, and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.
Back Pain & Sciatica Workshop Reveals How to Naturally Heal BACK PAIN & SCIATICA FOR GOOD. ATTENTION BACK PAIN & SCIATICA SUFFERERS! Saturday, February 24 at 10:00 am
• Do you suffer with back pain or leg pain when you stand or walk? • Do you have pain when you sit for long periods or drive? • Does your back ever “go out” if you move the wrong way? • Do you experience pain, numbness or tingling into your butt, groin or down your leg? • Are you afraid your pain will get worse if you don’t do anything about it? If you have answered YES to any of the above questions (or have a stubborn spouse who is in denial) the Lower Back and Sciatica Workshop may be a life changing event for you… “I have had “flares” off and on for years. My worst flare led me to Kim. I’m happy I had that low point in my life because it led me to Blue Ridge Physical Therapy. I am now back to working out and having a quality of life again.” -Amber C. Back pain and sciatica can completely ruin your life… I’ve seen it many times. ü It can make you lean on the shopping cart when walking through the grocery store (how embarrassing) ü It can take your focus away on enjoying your life… like spending time with your children or grandchildren
ü It can mess up your work or force you to do a job you don’t want to do ü It can ruin your travel plans ü And it can take away your ability to live life… having to rely on others… or to wait for you to sit down for a minute
Less movement and less enjoyment of life can lead to depression, increase stress and creates a sedentary lifestyle (mostly sitting… not moving much) which leads to more health problems… and life problems. Here at Blue Ridge Physical Therapy, Inc. our Sciatica and Lower Back Specialists have helped 100’s of people from right here in Johnson City, and the rest of the Tri-Cities Region, who have suffered needlessly with lower back pain and sciatica...it’s our specialty! So by request, I’m hosting a Sciatica and Lower Back Pain Workshop here at Blue Ridge Physical Therapy, Inc. Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:00 am. If you’re confused about what to do and are looking for answers, here’s some of what you’ll learn:
ü The single BIGGEST #1 MISTAKE back pain and sciatica sufferers make which actually stops them from healing ü The 3 Most Common Causes of Lower Back Pain and Sciatica ü A Sure-Fire Way to Pick the Right Treatment for the Cause of Your Pain (and save you a ton of time and money)
ü How a problem in your back can cause pain, numbness or tingling in your leg ü What successful treatment and permanent relief looks like without the side effects of medications, injections or surgery
Call our office to register at (423) 262-0020. When you register, we will mail you The Lower Back Pain and Sciatica Worksheet which you will bring with you to the event. We only have 40 seats available for the event. As a Special Bonus…the first 10 people to call and register for the event will receive a BRPT Hot/Cold mug. All 40 attendees for the Sciatica and Lower Back Pain Workshop will receive a Special Report: “The Top 10 Burning Questions for Sciatica”. Looking forward to seeing you there! - Kim Contryman, PT, DPT, NCS, OCS, Blue Ridge Physical Therapy, Inc. PS – The first 10 People to call and register at (423) 262-0020 will receive our BRPT hot/cold mug. PPS – This event is limited to the first 40 people to register. When you register, you can bring a guest at no additional costPage 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6
Made with FlippingBook - Online Brochure Maker