Hubert E. Coyer
ROW 1: Jim Parker, Daryl Brownlee, Keven Ryan, Sam Capizzi, Al Potter, Dan Sansanese, Mike Balin, Mike Porco, Cook Austin, Al Libertore. ROW 2: Chris Ummer, Tom O'Donnell, Earl Outerbridge, Rick MarUno, Nick Deiuca, John Sugustine, Dan Ryan, Dan Dallas, John Lee, Rick McCay, Phil Azzoparti, Ken Canzoneri. ROW 3: Coach Phil Russel, Coach Bruno Pacini, Scott Smith, Bill Manicus, Jim Newton, Mike Nugent, Tom Orzel,
Bill Lutz, Randy Zakrezewski, Greg Capell, Bruce Burton, John Gramaldi, Lynn Patrick, Mike Johnson, Matt Lustig, Rick Sparaco, Tony Liberatore, Daryl Davis, Robert Kerzner, Fran Page, John Rehbaum, Coach Bewley, Coach Chuck Montedoro. ROW 4: Tom Cooley, Tom Peter, Sam Gray, John Pope, Dave State, Scott Jurewicz, John Parks, Chris Brown, Head Coach Lea Dugan, Missing: Ron Moroaey, Don Hommel.
cation of the Athletic Field (now known as the Hubert E. Coyer Athletic Field). The new scoreboard, donated by the Coca-Cola Co. also was unveiled. The second half saw a fiesty St. John Fisher offense trying to come back against a stingy Buffalo State defense. Quarterback Alan DeLisle scored the only Cardinal touchdown when he ran the ball three yards up the middle on a quarterback sneak. The score was then cut to 10-7 in favor of the Bengals. The Bengals scored their final touchdown with the games most dramatic play. QB
The Men's football team, following a successful debut as a club team last year (3·3), embarked on a six game schedule this season under coach Les Dugan. After two successive road losses to well established teams from Alfred (35-0) and NCAA Division III power Wagner (59-7), the Bengals delighted a home· coming crowd of 2500 fans Saturday, September 26th by defeating Niagara Univers it y club team, (25-6). This marked the first ever home·varsity foot· ball game in the college's history and the largest crowd ever to witness a Buffalo
State team in action on campus. Quar– terback Dan Sansanese and running back Ken Canzoneri were the big guns. Sansanese hit a 75 yard pass to wide– receiver Jim Parker for State's first touchdown in the Niagara game, while Canzoneri totaled 100 yards rushing and one touchdown. The 60 man squad, mostly freshmen and sophomores from the Western New York area hosted the St. John Fisher, Cardinals Saturday October 24th with a crowd of 500 attending. Half-time activities included the dedi-
Row 1: Moore. Ketcham, Houston. Row 2: Callere, Coyer, Grabau. Mann.
unnamed building and on unnamed fields . This year, however, it has finally been changed. The Bengals will no longer have to represent their college from a field which sounds like a grocery store "No Name-Generic" brand bargain aisle. Through the efforts of President D. Bruce Johnstone, his advisory commit· tee of Vice President of Administration Bill Licata, Advisor to the Presiderit Glenn Nellis, and Director of Public Af· fairs Joyce Fink, and Hube Coyer, for· mer athlete, team captain Paul Colemali who played for Coach Coyer; and College Council the soccer - football- track– lacrosse field complex will now be offi· cially known as the HUBERT E. COYER ATHLETIC FIELD. His career at Buffalo State can best be described by the title bestowed upon hini by the students and faculty of that era - the "Father of Sports" at State. Not only was he responsible for initiat· ing numerous sports teams at the Elm· wood Avenue campus but he was also given credit for structuring the first Ath· letic Board and for instituting the first Athletic Tax to support his expanding program. He was also the organizer of the Boosters of College Morale (BCM), a group which for some 20 years added much spirit, enthusiasm, and support to the entire college through their interest in athletics. As Coyer Field takes its place among the remaining noname buildings and playing areas of State athletics, all con' cerned are reassured that it is finallY right. W:h.at's in a name? In this case ... eV' l
a real name. Hube remained on as Asso– ciate Professor in Health Education after having vacated his Athletic Direc– torship, basketball and soccer coaching duties in 1952. He reached the manda– tory retirement age of 70 in 1963 and moved to Florida. The New Gym was still called just the "New Gym" and, de– spite some 20 years of aging, continues to retain that laughable monicker in 1981. Hube would have made light of the whole thing in his inimitable way. For the next 16 years, Buffalo State athletes continued to operate from an
What's in a name? For all of its "life," the Old Gym ori the Buffalo State cam– pus was called just that - the gym. Hube Coyer ran the show there from 1932 to 1952 as he overlooked the growth of Buffalo State athletics. Then the "New Gyni" was built in 1962 and Hube moved with the rest of the Health, Phys– ical Education, Recreation, and Athlet– ics faculty to the rear of the campus. The Old Gym housed various and sundry other college departments until it re– cently became the Research and Devel– opment Complex still a building without
Dr. Hoseph Wincenc, Dr. Bruce Johnstone, Hubert Coyer Jr" Mayor Griffin, Ralph Hubbell.
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs