new campus structures in 1928, and it was referred to as the administra– tion building. The building was dedi– cated to the memory of the man who was the president of the college at that time, Dr. Harry Westcott Rock– well (1882-1961). Because of his fore– sight and deep personal interest, the college enjoyed great growth and de– velopment. Through Dr. Rockwe ll, Buffalo State was the first of the state insti– tutions to have a dormitory, to erect a separate library building, to be the first New York State operated teach– ers college to offer a bachelor of sci– ence degree in elementary education, and to have a masters program in 1945. UPTON HALL - The Industrial and Fine Arts complex was dedicated to Daniel Sherman Upton (1864- 1918), who was the third principal of the State Normal School and was a promoter of industrial arts educa– tion. The building was occupied in 1962. One unique facet of the building is the technical areas common to both the art and industrial arts, to be found across the hall from each oth– er' thus complementing the value of each discipline. WEIGEL HEALTH CENTER - In the early days of the college, the medical facilities were one nurse in a room. Because of the tremendous growth of this learning institution over the years, and the increased trauma that lone nurse suffered at the hands of the expanding enroll– ment, a new health center was built. It is dedicated to the memory of Dr. Paul J. Weigel (1912-1969), who was Director of Student Health Services at the college from 1966 to 1969. The center is a two-story structure with 41 rooms. It also includes five examining rooms, an emergency room, pharmacy, laboratory, allergy room, isolation rooms, a large waiting room and offices. (Top) In a town where a chicken's wings aren't safe the out.door sculpture entitled "Cock– a-Doodle-cloo" encountered verbal abuse amongst some students regarding its aesthetic qualities. Here it stands in front of Upton Hall in mid-assem– bly. (Middle) Porter Hall dormitory, named in honor of Peter Buell Porter, local politician and military man. (Bottom) The Moore Complex silently witnesses a traffic jam sans drivers in an adjacent parking lot. The four towers were named after Frank C. Moore (1896-1978), comptroller and lieutenant governor of the State of New York. Who's Who/II
""- ·i' ,····_- .~-~
Earlier days in the library.
the United States. KETCHUM HALL - This was one of the four original buildings erected on the Elmwood campus. Now a general classroom building, it was dedicated to the memory of J es– se Ketchum (1782-1867) who was never on the staii of the college, nor a member of the Board of Directors or an administrator. He was merely a citizen who enthusiastically support– ed education in the Buffalo area. It was because of his donation of a "hay field" that the very first Normal School was able to be erected. MOOT HALL - The dining hall was dedicated in 1963 to Adelbert Moot (1854-1929). Adelbert Moot was a leader of the state bar, Vice– Chancellor of the State Board of Re– gents and an active leader in Buffalo civic affairs. It was through Mr. Moot's influ– ence that the home economics de– partment was placed on a four-year basis and the school became a college instead of a normal school. ROCKWELL HALL ~ Rockwell Hall was one of the first four original
Dr. Harry Westcott Rockwell (1882·1961)
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs