Buffalo Psychiatric Center - soon after moving to Elmwood Avenue, an issue of The Record reported that students had stopped
~is. This event is probably the most Important in the history of the school and represented the results of untir. ing efforts on the part of Edward H. Butler, the Board of Managers, and Adelbert Moot, vice-chancellor of the Board of Regents. In 1926, still further advancement in the work of the school was brought about. Six head professors were added at one time, thus enabling the offering of a larger field of electives with majors and minors. On May 27, 1927, the State Board of Regents changed the name of the Buffalo State Normal School to that of the State Teachers College at Buf– falo. On March 9, 1928, the Legisla– ture passed a bill giving the right to the legal title of New York State Col– lege for Teachers at Buffalo. This ac– tion gave the College the same Facul– ty classification and salary schedule as that of the Albany State Teachers College. On October 9, 1929, Edward B. Butler, Jr., using the same trowel which his father had employed in 1913; laid the cornerstone of the main College building on Elmwood Avenue . On January 12, 1931, the students of the State Teachers College at Buf– fa lo started off the second half of their school year with a boisterous parade from the old building to the new Campus on Elmwood. The College received many letters of congratulations and greetings from ~umer.ous friends in high places, mciudmg Franklin D. Roose– velt, Governor of New York: The future of the State Teachers College at Buffalo equipped now to meet the ex~ panding educational require– ments of the Buffalo area is in– deed bright. The possibilities before the institution cannot be gauged with the measuring rod of the past. Prophetic vision would be requisite even to ven– ture approximate conjecture of its attainments in the years to come. Glorious as its past has been, its future promises to out– shine the splendor of years gone by.
saying, "You're crazy!" and had replaced it with, "You belong next door,"
the first floor, also, with additional room on the second floor and the ~sement. With its enrollment constantly in– creasing, the Normal-8chool began a series of expansions that continues throughout the history of the Col– lege. In 1888, a 90 foot square, three· story science building was completed 40 feet north of the main building. The only way you could get into the building was by crossing a bridge that connected the second floors of both buildings (nicknamed "The
Bridge of Sighs" by the students). Soon, the principal and his kin were squeezed out so that their space could be used for school purposes. In April, 1892, the Kindergarten was established under the direction of Miss Lois Palmer. It began as a semi -private attempt as the teacher was furnished only the equipment and her salary had to come from the tuition of the children who attended the Kindergarten. In 1898, Mr. Edward H. Butler be– came a member of the Board of
Trustees, and in 1902, he ' became President of the Board, a position that he kept until his death in 1914. Mr. Butler made tremendous contri– butions to the school's growth and reputation that haven't been dupli– cated by too many since. When he became President of the Board, he immediately started pushing for the construction of a new building. Two new courses were added in 1910: Household Arts and the Vocational Department. With these two addi– tions to the curriculum, the need for
Zephel Owens manning the turntables at WSCB; after an 11 year wait, the campus radio station goes FM.
a new building greatly increased. October 9, 1913, the cornerstone for the new building was laid. Sep– tember, 1914, the building was com– pleted and the students came in for the first time. In March, 1914, Mr. Butler died, bequeathing $5,000 to the school for library purposes. A six-week session of the Normal
School started on July 2,1917, to ini– tiate the first sessions of Summer School. In the summer of 1918, Dr. Daniel Upton, principal of the Normal School, passed away very suddenly. He was succeeded in January, 1919, by Dr. Harry Westcott Rockwell. In June 1923, the first degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education
were granted to the students of the Vocational Homemaking Depart– ment. On June 24, 1926, the Board of Re– gents authorized the Normal School to grant the degree of Bachelor of Science in Education and approved the tentative courses for the fourth year. With this action the Normal School was placed on a collegiate ba-
t b' e our uture. ut rIght now, they just want a good seat.
They may b
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs